FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Mai Kai 50th Anniv. - a look back in pictures!
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 06:09 am   Permalink

There is a lot on the web about Charles McKirahan. His buildings in Florida are getting recognition. I wanted to post his name here so that Google will now link Mai Kai and Tiki Central and him in the future, although, on several websites he is already cited as the Mai Kai architect, and a tropical design architect. Too much to read right now. Dig this mention.

Quote:

MiMo and McKirahan at the Mai Kai
Saturday, 5/21, 5-7 pm, 3599 N. Fed Hwy, Fort Lauderdale. As Miesian Modernism flourished in the Postwar era, the outlandishly commercial cult of Tiki sprang up to satisfy man's and woman's desire for more earthy delights. Join Broward MiMo moguls for 2-for-1 Happy Hour at the Mai Kai, with remarks on the life and work of Mai Kai architect Charles McKirahan by Diane Smart of the Broward Trust for Historic Preservation.

Swank Blather
- Talkin' atcha

[ This Message was edited by: Swanky 2006-12-29 06:11 ]

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 07:59 am   Permalink

I'll be reporting on so much about the Mai Kai in my upcoming article for Tiki Magazine coming out in the summer of '07. And of course, the history of the Mai Kai will now become a permanent highlight of Hukilau!

So glad everyone enjoyed the thread!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 08:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-29 07:59, tiki_kiliki wrote:
I'll be reporting on so much about the Mai Kai in my upcoming article for Tiki Magazine coming out in the summer of '07. And of course, the history of the Mai Kai will now become a permanent highlight of Hukilau!

So glad everyone enjoyed the thread!

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaahhhhh!!! I can't wait to read THAT!!

What a wonderful thread Tiki Kiliki. Thank you very much.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-02 7:15 pm   Permalink

Tiki Kiliki, thank you for all the pictures and your effort. This is a great thread!

Life is a state of mind

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-03 10:55 am   Permalink

Christy,

September

She looks like she'd be the one most likely to serve a Mystery Bowl. The eyes have it!

Sorry I couldn't be there for the 50th, but early December was fun with you and Will P too. Thanks for hanging with us and showing us Virginians around the Mai Kai.

Now where's those pictures I have from that night... hmmm. Too many Jet Pilots.

It was really good to finally meet you! See you at the next Hukilau!
Thanks for the great postings in this thread too!

Greg

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2007-01-03 10:58 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-21 12:01 pm   Permalink

Hi,
The fourth girl down(Diane)was my first wife.
My father, George Hines and I(I got a small portion of his talent) were the first haoles to play at the Mai Kai.
We played the 'off' night and learned their show and also played in the Molokai bar. GOOD times!!!

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 12:19 pm   Permalink

Nice!

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nibblegribitz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-21 1:00 pm   Permalink

Hi,
About the outside shot that was taken from a slide.
From left to right - Chief Faalia(knife dancer), Toti
Heitapu, Lundy Nelson w/guitar
Liva, Louise(Ruita)and Andrea(Tupapau)

Heitapu was married to Andrea and I'm not sure if Kern was married to Louise at that time.

My father George Hines had the Polynesian show at the Yankee Clipper in Ft. Lauderdale for several years in the late '60s and early '70s.
Bob hired him and myself (Larry - I got a small portion of his talent) and we were the first haoles to play at the Mai Kai.
We played the 'off' night and did their show and also played in the Molokai bar. We also did the month of September when the other show was on vacation. We did that for ten years.
By the way, we're in the group photo right above, third row-left center with kukui nut leis.
I had the pleasure of knowing Mariano, a genuinely kind man.
In closing, I love your scans.

View Profile of nibblegribitz Send a personal message to nibblegribitz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 1:01 pm   Permalink

nibblegribitz,

Well, what do you know? Diane happens to be on my bookshelf and says hello every March!

So glad you found us here. What years did you play the Mai-Kai? If you have any Mai-Kai stories or pictures to share, we are the best audience you will ever find!

EDIT: I see your post snuck in before mine by 1 minute! So glad you're posting.

[ This Message was edited by: GatorRob 2008-08-21 13:05 ]

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-21 2:06 pm   Permalink

nibblegribitz -

Great to hear from you and welcome to the TC community!! I just sent you a private message. I love to hear many stories about the Mai-Kai and of course about the Polynesian Room at the Yankee Clipper.

Keep the stories coming!!

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-22 05:55 am   Permalink

Another picture of Diane. 1974.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-23 5:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-21 13:00, nibblegribitz wrote:

My father George Hines had the Polynesian show at the Yankee Clipper in Ft. Lauderdale for several years in the late '60s and early '70s.
Bob hired him and myself (Larry - I got a small portion of his talent) and we were the first haoles to play at the Mai Kai.
We played the 'off' night and did their show and also played in the Molokai bar. We also did the month of September when the other show was on vacation. We did that for ten years.
By the way, we're in the group photo right above, third row-left center with kukui nut leis.
I had the pleasure of knowing Mariano, a genuinely kind man.

Very cool info nibblegribitz!!

Is this your Dad? I would love to know more about him.

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: Jeff Central 2008-08-23 17:07 ]

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 07:00 am   Permalink

This thread is phenomenal! I didn't know it was here. I'm so glad it's been revived and going again. It's a treasure trove.

Thanks guys.

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 07:40 am   Permalink

Aloha nibblegribitz!

Please, tell us more story! It is the candid shots and entertaining tales that we enjoy the most!

And, since we are showing pictures, here are a couple I found that have a pair of ladies enjoying the place over easter weekend in 1961:

This big Moai is in the 1964 calendar for June.

And posing with the Outrigger from a couple of pages ago.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiBonanza

Posted: 2008-08-25 01:46 am   Permalink

This is an amazing thread!

tiki_kiliki, what is the copyright status of those images? can I use some of them in my art? (with credit to the scanner of course).

View Profile of TikiBonanza Send a personal message to TikiBonanza      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation