FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » New Kon-Tiki movie!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
New Kon-Tiki movie!
sharkbait
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-12-21 08:18 am   Permalink

It's a director duo - childhood friends Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg - and they've done all of their movies together. The first one was the admittedly not very good Bandidas (although I think it's a charming guilty pleasure). Max Manus was their second movie. Kon-Tiki will be their third.

View Profile of sharkbait Send a personal message to sharkbait      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-22 05:04 am   Permalink

Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Loving that trailer. It oozes, "period" and the understated "high adventure" which accompanies the educated BOLD!

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-22 07:14 am   Permalink

Not to derail this thread, but until I watched "Hell on Wheels" on AMC I was not aware that a relative of Thor Heyerdahl was active in the film industry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Heyerdahl

"The Swede"

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole Jim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-12-22 09:36 am   Permalink

Further derailment:

"Hell On Wheels" was the name of the US Army 2nd Armored Division...

...a shoot 'em up movie "usurped" the title?

'Betcha three brigades of tanks, artillery and armoured personnel carriers "deserve" the title, more.

View Profile of Haole Jim Send a personal message to Haole Jim      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sharkbait
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-04-29 04:37 am   Permalink

"Live tweeting" of historical events seem to be a new trend, and the Kon-Tiki marketing team have jumped on the bandwagon. Tweets "from" the Kon-Tiki expedition started this weekend.

NRK, Norway's national broadcaster, also reported this week that the vfx deadline was this Thursday, so the movie is nearing completion. Personally, I found the NRK article about the deadline somewhat dismaying, as the vfx crew took the time to proudly boast about their... great white shark. This is factually incorrect, not to mention highly improbable (the sharks they actually encountered were oceanic whitetips and a whale shark), so it has me a little worried. I hope they don't "improve" reality like that throughout the entire movie...

View Profile of sharkbait Send a personal message to sharkbait      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Greg_D_R
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-30 06:21 am   Permalink

And here's a Youtube link: Kon-Tiki Trailer if you want to go straight to it. Looks really competently done, and well shot. Don't know if it will see a theatrical release near me, but I'll grab the blu-ray for sure. Apparently the whole voyage is either a flashback, or there are lots of flashbacks once the voyage is underway, so they can be sure to get in the required allotment of sex and violence. Works for me!

View Profile of Greg_D_R Send a personal message to Greg_D_R      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-30 09:44 am   Permalink

I saw a movie at the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences 2 weeks ago and they had a huge movie poster from the 1951 'Kon Tiki' movie displayed in their 2nd floor foyer. As expected it was in mint condition. They rotate the posters regularly so I'm not sure if it's still on display. It was cool to see. I would have taken a picture, but they have a strict no photos policy.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sharkbait
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-10 01:31 am   Permalink

The second trailer that was promised many months ago was posted online today, and unlike the first one, this trailer focuses pretty much exclusively on the Kon-Tiki raft itself. Lots of sharks, too - some of them highly improbable and factually incorrect. The movie looks good, though!

finky099
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 6:17 pm   Permalink

I really hope this film plays somewhere in SoCal. Even if it cinematically embellishes some events, the trailer they cut looks great. And, I know a great trailer does not a great film make, but it sure inspires hope in this tikiphile!

View Profile of finky099 Send a personal message to finky099      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sharkbait
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-23 02:13 am   Permalink

For the last couple of weeks, the replica of Kon-Tiki that was built for the movie has been touring the southern coast of Norway. Each leg of the trip has been open to 10 paying members of the public, and I was lucky enough to get one of the spots this Sunday. I took a stack of photos, and I figured people here might enjoy them.

Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2012-08-23 06:42 am   Permalink

Sharkbait, thanks for sharing! (Love the cognac bottle)

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-23 06:53 am   Permalink

awesome ! Thanks for the picture. I'd love to be on that boat. Is it you who did the same beard as the Kon Tiki ?! (Always loved that logo)

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-23 07:40 am   Permalink

Here's how to take a swim in style! :

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-08-23 08:11 am   Permalink

Wow that is a beautiful photo. I need to get Dan over here to read this thread, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sharkbait
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-08-23 3:03 pm   Permalink

Virani, the guy with the beard is indeed me. It hadn't actually occured to me that it's sort of similar to that of the Kon-Tiki figure, though! Thanks for pointing that out.

The movie opens in Norway tomorrow, and the reviews have overwhelmingly been positive. At the same time there's been a lot of rumbling in the press about how the movie treats Herman Watzinger - his character is essentially made up and bears little resemblance to the real person (both physically and in terms of his character traits), much to the displeasure of his daughter. That seems to be the only negative, everything else looks good. There's no word on US distribution of it yet, but the first chance to see it on North American soil has been announced - the movie will be screened at
the Toronto International Film Festival in september.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation