FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » sams seafood reopening!!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
sams seafood reopening!!!!
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-08 11:12 am   Permalink

don't get me wrong, I love Sam's.
But lets hope that they do as much to refurbish the food and drinks there, as they are doing to the building.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 11:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2007-01-08 04:01, twowheelin'tiki wrote:[
They said the old owner had let the place slip and they were going to bring it back to the condition it deserved. I met a guy named Bill that was one of the partners and thanked him and the guy doing the floors (alan?) and told them how important the place is to alot of folks all over the USA. I am so damn grateful that Sam's is coming back. They said maybe by st.patties day. Please be supportive of this effort and like Ben said, try and not get too caught up in complaining about the little details that may be different, just thank the guys for saving the place and not turning it into a Russian mafia owned bikini bar like KELBO'S!!.I am so damn happy to hear about this place coming back!, I was really depressed when I thought it was history. Let's pray for good food and grog!. Mahalo. TWT

Nice field research, TWT.

Good point about Sams in any condition - just so long tiki - is better than no Sam's at all.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 05:41 am   Permalink

Quote:
MDK: I strongly take offense to the images that perpetuate negative stereotypes. That photo is ridiculous (regardless of who it is). If you’re someone who believes that it's okay to show images of “drunken Indians”,“lazy Mexicans” or "savage Polynesians" then perhaps you should evaluate your own insecurities and short-commings.

I wasn't going to read this thread and then I thought that I would look for pictures and read the captions around them. Man, was I happily surprised to see the Grog's photo. Very funny on many levels.

I can't see were painting your face Maori, would be anything like painting your face black. One can only be born of darker skin and painting your face is a attack dealing with past injustices.

Quote:
Once you’re done justifying your ignorance by your blatant disrespect for other cultures, perhaps you'd be interested in the truth.

I'm interested in the truth, can someone enlighten me here on TC?

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2007-01-10 05:42 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 08:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-10 05:41, teaKEY wrote:
I'm interested in the truth, can someone enlighten me here on TC?

Well, let's see. First the earth cooled. And then the dinosaurs came, but they got too big and fat, so they all died and they turned into oil. And then the Arabs came and they bought Mercedes Benzes. And Prince Charles started wearing all of Lady Di's clothes. I couldn't believe it.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 7:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-16 10:09, christiki295 wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-12-08 08:46, RevBambooBen wrote:
Aloha.

I met with Allan the other day.

Sam's is on it's road to recovery.

They're doing what they can to get the doors open so,

don't get all snippy if there is slight change.

MAhalos

Bamboo Ben.

Interesting question. Is a de-tikified, or reduced tikified, Sam's which is open better the incredible classic tiki bar mecca, complete with thatch, that Sam's used to be when open?

Is a new watered-down version a ongoing humiliation to the memory, or is any tiki, in whatever state (although if Bamboo Ben is involved it probably will be good), better than no tiki at all?

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2006-12-16 22:32 ]

They're trying to bring it back from the 80's I-HOP CRAP that killed it!

Think, early tiki.

More on the lines of CLASS and/or Swank?.

The Bar and Dinning Room will be open first.

No Tiki's will be tossed. If anything, more will be added.

Stay tuned.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-10 8:40 pm   Permalink

RevbambooBen pulling this thread back on topic.

B-Ben gets 3 extra credit points.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-15 5:39 pm   Permalink

Any new news on an opening date?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 10:36 pm   Permalink

I have neglected to read this whole thread as I thought it was done. I can't tell you how happy we are to read that Sam's will be restored and reopened!! We should have a big shin dig to re-christen her!

Since the close of Royal Hawaiian and all, well, we've been starving down here in south county. We were looking at pix of RH and Sam's the other day and the heartache I felt was physical. Specially The Royal. The air of the past clung to the walls with layers of memories. You could almost here the chats that took place there in the past; Sputnik, Kennedy, the Cuban missile crisis, oil embargos, free love, I'm starting to sound like a Billy Joel song... The swank seeped into that place and stayed. God I miss it.

So lets make Sam's just as great! Someday our grandkids will look at old pix of us in our retro swank, Hawaiian shirts, and funny hats and they'll wonder if that cool looking place is still open. Hopefully, when they walk in, the memories will reach out from the walls and embrace them. They'll feel our presence as they sit at the bar. Here our laughter and ice clinking in our glasses as they study the tikis. Realize that we lived, laughed and loved just like they do. And left a bit there, sandwiched between the dust layers on the lamps and walls.

Wow. Those old qualudes I found in an old purse seem to be just fine! I think they have no potency left. Sgood.

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 10:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2007-01-10 19:41, RevBambooBen wrote:

They're trying to bring it back from the 80's I-HOP CRAP that killed it!

Think, early tiki.

More on the lines of CLASS and/or Swank?.

The Bar and Dinning Room will be open first.

No Tiki's will be tossed. If anything, more will be added.

Stay tuned.

This news is better than could have been hoped!
I would have been satisfied with a cleaner Taco Surf.

The tiki gods are smiling upon us.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 10:20 pm   Permalink

Jeez Hau 'oli Tiki, you got me all misty, y'otta be a writer!.

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hau 'oli Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 09:39 am   Permalink

Cheese and Crackers! When I went back and read that, I cried, myself!!
You all gotta remember something about me... I can not hold my liquer and I have anterograde amnesia! I had a few nightcaps that evening!
But it IS a purty thought!

View Profile of Hau 'oli Tiki Send a personal message to Hau 'oli Tiki  Email Hau 'oli Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MakeDaMug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 5:54 pm   Permalink

we're in design work on 2 new mugs for Sam's. 1 is a brand new design & the other will be a repro of their original design, which if anybody has an original (yeah right!), can you send me multiperspective photos. I recall that it was similar to the illustrated one in their drink menu but I recall that it had a shorter forehead. Any light to be shed on this - that'd be very cool. By the way, the designer for the new mug... I thought it'd be cool to have Sam's Seafood mug designed by Sam Gambino.

View Profile of MakeDaMug Send a personal message to MakeDaMug  Email MakeDaMug Goto the website of MakeDaMug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-17 10:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-17 17:54, MakeDaMug wrote:
we're in design work on 2 new mugs for Sam's. 1 is a brand new design & the other will be a repro of their original design, which if anybody has an original (yeah right!), can you send me multiperspective photos. I recall that it was similar to the illustrated one in their drink menu but I recall that it had a shorter forehead. Any light to be shed on this - that'd be very cool. By the way, the designer for the new mug... I thought it'd be cool to have Sam's Seafood mug designed by Sam Gambino.

The hits keep on coming!

Better and better every day.

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 09:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-17 17:54, MakeDaMug wrote:

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome! I'm so excited I had to say it three times. This is fantastic news! It's great that the new owner(s) are willing to try out a repro design of the original. Can't wait to see pics.
Thanks for the great news, Holden! That totally made my day!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-22 5:47 pm   Permalink

Keep an EYE out

for some pics

in the near future..........

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation