FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » sams seafood reopening!!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
sams seafood reopening!!!!
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-05 1:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-04 20:41, RevBambooBen wrote:
I did get a call today from " their new interior decorator " and we'll see what's on the palette in a week or so after their pow wow.

My first question is, naturally, does he/she have my book? Not that that is a guarantee, but it would put me at ease a little...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-06 2:37 pm   Permalink

I did a "drive-by" this morning...literally!!! At about 50 mph! So this is the best picture I could take. The outside looks really cool!

Can't wait to see the inside (and do some partying!)

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodaphile

Posted: 2007-04-10 1:54 pm   Permalink

We'd been planning a 25th anniversary party at Sam's for almost 25 years! It didn't look like it would happen so news of the reopening is fantastic! I can't wait!!!

View Profile of hodaphile Send a personal message to hodaphile  Goto the website of hodaphile     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_fever
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-12 10:58 am   Permalink

Mid May is so close yet soooo far away..I can't wait to get the new mug.

View Profile of tiki_fever Send a personal message to tiki_fever      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 1:27 pm   Permalink

I met a guy at a bar the other day who claims he is a partner in Sam’s Seafood as well as Tsunami Sushi. He and I started talking about Sam’s and informed me that they are looking for more investors in Sam’s and looking to reopen it mid summer. The part that concerned me most the name may be changed to “Sam’s Gone Wild”. Before he left he said they may give up the luau show due to the cost of performers and may have a dance club instead. The bartender informed me he is an investor as well as a realtor. Again, this was just bar talk so I have no way of confirming this.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-28 13:27, Tikitatt wrote:
The part that concerned me most the name may be changed to “Sam’s Gone Wild”.

Tooo funny! ...if it wouldn't be so scary.
I bet that was before they slammed the "Girls Gone Wild" creator with date rape and tax evasion. After that, the beach community would not look kindly at such folly, I presume.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 2:03 pm   Permalink

I actually have heard that the new owner is also an owner of Tsunami's. I think that verifies it.... and is kinda scary now. We'll see what happens...

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 2:40 pm   Permalink

Well, what we do know is that Bamboo Ben is doing the decor so whatever happens the decor will at least be good.

Mahalo,

Tikitatt

View Profile of Tikitatt Send a personal message to Tikitatt  Email Tikitatt Goto the website of Tikitatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 3:54 pm   Permalink

Didn't they originally say they were opening in January....then February....then March?

I know Ben's done the work, we've seen the mugs....I've just never seen a place have so much trouble picking a date and opening!

The other items mentioned above also make it very troubling....if I wanted to go to a thumping loud, quasi-Tiki, neon meat market of a so called "Tiki Bar" there's one near me in Hayward, CA that shall remain nameless!

For the sake of the name, the history and all things Tiki I sure hope it doesn't become "SAM'S GONE WILD" Spring Break Capitol of California!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 4:43 pm   Permalink

I know Ben's done the work, we've seen the mugs..

----------------------------------------------

"Some Work" and it was a while ago..........

and, it's out of my hands.........

and, stop asking me "when is it opening?"

I haven't the slightest idea.

I'm sure you'll all get answers if you call them.

Or, not?

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PockyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-28 5:48 pm   Permalink

wow..."Sam's Gone Wild" That's a real scary thought!

News flash!: Did you all read that "Girls Gone Wild" is going to soon open up their own restaurant? ... what the heck has this world come to. seriously.

View Profile of PockyTiki Send a personal message to PockyTiki  Email PockyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-29 2:56 pm   Permalink

Patience is a Virtue Does anyone remember how run-down Sam's was?? It takes time to recreate things/update what needs to be done.

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-29 3:19 pm   Permalink

I'm having trouble finding my enthusiasm for this reopening. I know it's really exciting for those who have an emotional attachment to Sam's -- it had a great history, and held a lot of importance for locals. By the time I got to see it, though, a lot of the charm had left. It was never one of my favorite restaurants, but it wasn't hard to see why locals who grew up with it loved it so much. And it did have some fantastic features.

I so want to support its return, and I suppose in many ways, I do. But, I'm trying to keep my expectations in check.

The pluses:
- It's coming back, and maybe that's better than no Sam's at all.
- They hired Bamboo Ben to do some work, which is a good sign.
- The food at Sam's was inedible, the drinks unpotable -- the new restaurant can only be an improvement.
- The attention being paid to things like issuing a reproduction of the original mug is pretty cool.

The minuses:
- The people who bought the property did so to build condos. As far as I'm aware, that plan has *not* changed. Because it might be a couple years before the owners will be able to start the development of the new condos (thanks to permits & the like), they have decided to at least let the property earn a little money by reopening the restaurant for a while. If the restaurant does well, they may decide to change their plans -- but consider for a moment how much money a condo development would make for the property owners. The restaurant would have to do really well.
- The little I've heard is that the budget for this reopen is modest (which makes sense, considering the very good chance that it will only be there for a few years). They have hired Ben to do, as he said, "some" stuff. But this is not an extensive remodel, and much of the decor was removed when Sam's closed. Do not go in expecting it to be the same old Sam's.

Take that all with a grain of salt -- some of my info comes from rumbles & rumors.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LapuRocker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-01 11:17 am   Permalink

I used to munch the breadsticks and down the LapuLapu's, while sitting under a thatch hut. Will I still be able to do that RevBen? Huh? Can you at least tell me that? If so, I'll be fine.

View Profile of LapuRocker Send a personal message to LapuRocker  Email LapuRocker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-05-01 9:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-05 13:56, bigbrotiki wrote:
My first question is, naturally, does he/she have my book? Not that that is a guarantee, but it would put me at ease a little...

Alan's there during the day usually.... Why don't you drop by with a copy? Maybe autograph it for him????

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation