FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Hula's Island Grill & Tiki Room, Santa Cruz, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Hula's Island Grill & Tiki Room, Santa Cruz, CA (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 11:18 pm   Permalink

Wow...pics and reports like these warm my heart and make my day! Just think how many more new Tiki devotees will be raised by such a well done contemporary place.
I mean how can you not be intrigued by all this modern primitive finery! Congrats to everybody involved!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-15 11:23 pm   Permalink

WOW!! Chris - you really put that place together nicely. You have a great eye for detail. The comfortable feel comes through in the awesome pictures you and Humu posted. I can't wait to come up and check it out in person.

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikitastic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 1:35 pm   Permalink

After 3 visits to Hula's in Santa Cruz 3 times in the last week, which is not trivial considering I live in San Jose, and I still needed to fit a trip in to Forbidden Island in Alameda between Hula visits. Chris has done a great job with the decor...especialy in the Tiki Room!!! On my visit Saturday night, Ian was kind enough to drop by my table and chat a bit about Hula's.

Great food (Island Poke is so good), delicious drinks (very tasty mai tai) and great service!!!

Looking forward to many more visits in the future!

View Profile of Tikitastic Send a personal message to Tikitastic  Goto the website of Tikitastic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-02 10:56 pm   Permalink

Tiki Tony made a trip up this past Friday to unload (2) 500 lb. tikis, that I think are his best yet. Both are planned to be hauled up onto the roof of the place, but they are fast finding a home inside. One I photographed tonight, which has parked itself at the entrance of the Tiki Room, just opposite the display of Munktiki mugs. The other guards my Elvis black velvet in the TIki Room. Always worried someone with one too many Mai Tai's might want to walk out with him. That Tiki I could not get a photo of tonight because of a large party that booked the room.
Wanted to also thank Martin Cate of Forbidden Island fame for coming down and sharing his knowledge with us. Not only has he improved our Mai Tai, he has given us a couple of drink recipes. One in particular he came up with exclusively for Hula's. We named it the "Juan Ho". Always wanted a Don Ho drink, but its main ingredient is tequila, so we went south of the border and found Don's distant cousin, Juan. (Photo of Juan Ho attached).
3rd photo is of course the King himself on black velvet. Proof for all, so if it ever does take a walk, we all know where it really belongs. Ha!

View Profile of Citibeach Send a personal message to Citibeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ditsyquoin

Posted: 2007-01-05 8:46 pm   Permalink

Awesome New Years Eve! We started at the bar where there were quality noise makers and great Mai-Tais. Our tender gave tastes of some great rums that I have never tried. Plasma surf and the Juan-Ho blasted through the reverse end of the cardboard megaphone. Just walk in and ask what is your most colorful drink and you will be like family.

We took a break to see the diy nye parade which is whole story until itself but participation is a definite must do in the future.

When we came back, Ian was very gracious and seated us in the back room where the tables, art and service are high tilt.

We had the lemon grass Ono, the Luau Pork Plate and the Hapu prepared in the Wasabi fish special. All of the dishes were of the highest quality. For all of the foodies who might not be into Tiki, this place is a spot on 10.

The only downside I can see, is that the ultraclean bathrooms are without ornamentation.

I'm from northern Virginia where we are tiki deprived, but the Hulu Island Grill and Tiki Room is so fantastic that I will make it a destination vacation next year. If only the boardwalk could get Fascination running my life would be complete.

View Profile of ditsyquoin Send a personal message to ditsyquoin  Email ditsyquoin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-06 09:20 am   Permalink

Here is the latest Tiki TOny that sits on a nightly basis with a portrait of the king. He is one of the "protectors" so I put him up to the task of protecting ELvis from vanishing out the back door.

View Profile of Citibeach Send a personal message to Citibeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NitroAgogo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 08:36 am   Permalink

wow, looks fabulous! being that my husband and i are located in monterey, we frequent the Hulas there in town..but this new one looks gorgeous, good job.
maholo for all the info and photos!

View Profile of NitroAgogo Send a personal message to NitroAgogo  Goto the website of NitroAgogo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-03 11:55 am   Permalink

Bunch of images of our two new tiki gods that we have put on the roof of the building, but having a hell of a time uploading them. Thank you TIkitony for the new carvings. We now have 5 big tikis (500 lbs. each) from Tony. They are overlooking downtown Santa Cruz. Working on getting permission to line the roof front with gas burning tiki torches in between the two gods. Maybe then we can have a weekly fire dance, and annually do a sacrifice. Anyone know a virgin over 18 we could send to the Gods?

T1K1 LEE
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-03 8:23 pm   Permalink

Looks great.How about opening one in Ventura, Santa Barbara or Oxnard. We are really TIKI outlet challenged down here. Keep up the wonderful work. Keep spreading TIKI through out the world. Hang loose and stay cool.
TIKI LEE

[ This Message was edited by: T1K1 LEE 2007-07-01 20:28 ]

View Profile of T1K1 LEE Send a personal message to T1K1 LEE  Email T1K1 LEE Goto the website of T1K1 LEE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-11-03 4:56 pm   Permalink

Our new 21 oz. Hula's Tiki Mug just came in from Tiki Farm. Very happy with it. We will be working on a shot glass next and then a 14oz. mug for next spring. Stop by and get one. We are running a deal right now. If you buy a double Mai Tai, or Zombie, you get the mug for 5 bucks.

Citibeach
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-05-07 10:03 am   Permalink

Tiki Farm is shipping our first custom shot glass next month. I will post a photo as soon as I have one.

Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-10 08:25 am   Permalink

We had a "band meeting" at Hulas last night.
here are some crappy cellphone pics.
I had the double Zombie.

our drummer had a coconut mojito
Our Keyboard player had a Scorpion bowl, all to himself.

Then our drummer had a zombie

them our keyboard player had another Scorpion bowl...

then there were some Mai-tai's, and gimlet's...
and some other stuff...
oh, and some food.
Awesome.

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
capheind
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-09-06 11:44 am   Permalink

Me and the girlfriend are stopping by your Monterey location tomorrow for dinner and drinks after hitting the aquarium. I actually never managed to make it to either location when I lived in the area so this should be a treat. Make sure you have enough rum.

-troy the wonder ape.

View Profile of capheind Send a personal message to capheind      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation