FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Modern now available for pre-order! (But only in Europe for now)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Modern now available for pre-order! (But only in Europe for now)
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 08:53 am   Permalink

Hey, guess what's appeared on Amazon.co.uk! Now available for pre-order at 16.49 (34% saving) in the hardback format. I've ordered mine.......you know what to do.

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody 2006-12-22 09:54 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 08:56 am   Permalink

Since most of us on TC are located in the states, does anyone know when it will be available for pre-order through Amazon.com?

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 09:11 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-22 08:56, Tiki-Kate wrote:
Since most of us on TC are located in the states, does anyone know when it will be available for pre-order through Amazon.com?

Unless there's someone here that works for Amazon, it's highly unlikely.

In my experience, Amazon.uk & Amazon.com are fairly well synchronised, so I imagine it will appear over there sooner rather than later.

But hey - look, there's the cover! There's a publishing date!

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 09:21 am   Permalink

WAKE THE CHILDREN,PHONE THE NIEGHBORS. YOU WILL LAUGH,YOU WILL CRY ,YOU WILL RUB YOUR EYES IN DISBELIEF.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 09:25 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2006-12-22 09:11, Trader Woody wrote:
Quote:

But hey - look, there's the cover! There's a publishing date!

Yes. That's fabulous. Love the synopsis.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 09:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

OK - obviously not such exciting news to you, but there's a sizable number of people on here who live outside of the US.

What's more important is that fact that a major Tiki book has lifted it's head and given us a glance of what's to come (and when it's coming).

I guess I'll have to change the topic title to save valuable clicking time.
*Shrug*

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody 2006-12-22 10:42 ]

Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 10:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-22 09:52, Trader Woody wrote:
Quote:

OK - obviously not such exciting news to you, but there's a sizable number of people on here who live outside of the US.

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody 2006-12-22 09:53 ]

No. Seriously. This is fabulous news. I didn't mean to sound apathetic or indifferent. I'm totally Happy Happy Happy. No, I'm not being sarcastic. Fabulous is not a word to be thrown about lightly. Cool, maybe. But not fabulous.

I've been hearing about this book since Sven's slide show at Oasis II back in 2002. I am genuinely excited. I was just hoping for some pre-order info for the U.S. members of TC. Honestly, didn't mean to offend.

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-22 10:07 am   Permalink

Apologies Tiki-Kate - I got the wrong end of the stick. My wife is from Liverpool, so I've always got the "Sarcast-o-meter" set on max!

Trader Woody

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 7:53 pm   Permalink

Woody, thank you! I missed this post because of the holidays...I had no idea!

And I must put an immediate damper on this: March is very unlikely as a publishing date, there will be yet another delay:

After I thought I was all done, with the writing and the layout finished, and it all going into production, (the same way I had laid out the Book of Tiki, all MY way), my dear publisher surprised me by re-negging on the promise of printing it my way. Now an in-house designer is streamlining it to a more "clean" look (white pages, no colored and very few textured backgrounds), supposedly to make it look more "modern".

In my opinion, all white pages mean more "boring". I cannot go too deeply into the details of the pro and cons, (a different look than the BOT might be OK), but I am still oscillating between anger and acceptance of having to redo it all. I just want it to be done!

With me and the designer hacking it out thru January, we are now talking "out" by early summer at best, meaning IN the stores.

I have to give the publisher credit, for without the quality and amount of full color pages for that price, combined with its world-wide distribution, the BOT's impact would not have been the same.

The sad truth is: After its out there, nobody will know the difference, or what it could have been...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-28 8:33 pm   Permalink

Sounds to me that,

The "Designer",

is banging the Publisher!!
---------
Taschen!?!?!

You have loads of cool books!!!

Let "this artist" do it his way!!!

How many BOT's have you sold to date!!??

Keep the "Designer" and the "White Pages"

to the General Public Art Books!!!!!!!!

Arrrr--RRR!!!!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 02:52 am   Permalink

Even tesco have it on their site
http://www.tesco.com/books/product.aspx?R=3822847178&bci=380%7CArt%20History*23%7CComing%20Soon*4294967259%7CEnglish

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 06:11 am   Permalink

This is very exciting news! I look forward to summer even more than I usually do.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
quickiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 10:40 am   Permalink

I feel your pain bigbro!

I've had to work with some publishers in the past that "art directed" projects after the concept and art was signed off. Needless to say, after endless flamed emails and threats of pulling the project, we usually found a middle ground acceptable for both parties.

Unfortunately, in the publishing field, it's pretty rare for one person to have artist control over the entire project without the publisher editing the content to some extent (editorial or artistic). Consider yourself lucky that they didn't do that to the BOT, despite its brilliance.

If I were you, I'd negotiate with the publisher to see if you can proof the layouts as they are completed to provide commentary if necessary or to sign-off. You should remind the publisher that this book is your vision and its not just about layout aesthetics, but also intent of content. That might get their attention and it will also allow you to keep some control. Then develop some sort of friendly, direct communication with the designer working on the project to keep them receptive to "artistic suggestions" by you. If you can swing it this way, I think you and the publisher will find some middle ground.

BTW, I can't wait to see the book and your work. I have a place reserved on my shelf right next to BOT. Cheers and good luck!

View Profile of quickiki Send a personal message to quickiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 12:19 pm   Permalink

Thank you. Luckily it's not as bad as they taking it and re-doing it without me. Since I got back into town, I am working WITH their designer, who is a cool kid. But he has to follow the parameters given to him. There is repeated conflict between MY visual story-flow of the images (combined with my desire to keep the text relating to them on the same double page), and THEIR new lay out principles. But my main fight is not to loose too many images, and so far that has been going OK.

Also, I had put all these background textures in the BOT and then cluttered them with objects so people would feel like actually stepping into a Tiki Lounge. For Tiki Modern, I had a concept that built on that with modern lava rock b.g.s and other materials, but they find that too "cheesy".
Thing is, Tiki was once considered cheesy, too. Until someone comes along and employs a "bad taste" concept in a daring and new way, it will stay just that. But once used in a new fashion, "cheesy" can quickly turn to "cool", and everybody is grateful for the new perspective. You just have to have the vision. In this case they don't.

I am looking forward to my next book after this, with Outre Galleries, where I can go hog wild with aloha shirt patterns and graphics...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 2:55 pm   Permalink

This new follow-up book, which brings together the two recent retro trends of mid-century modernism and Tiki style, is bound to lift the Tiki craze to a new level.

so this is BOT2 ? All new everything. The next chaper in the BOT? What? Whats in it and why didn't we hear about it. I knew that the Witco book was coming out and I thought that it was Svens next book. I just hope that there aren't three Langs. in it. But if it made, whats done it done.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation