FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Modern now available for pre-order! (But only in Europe for now)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Modern now available for pre-order! (But only in Europe for now)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-29 14:55, teaKEY wrote:
so this is BOT2 ? All new everything. The next chaper in the BOT? What? Whats in it and why didn't we hear about it. I knew that the Witco book was coming out and I thought that it was Svens next book. I just hope that there aren't three Langs. in it. But if it made, whats done it done.

It is indeed unfortunate that Amazon does not list the full title of the book:

"TIKI MODERN and the Wild World of Witco"

but, as you certainly have read:

"...Kirsten shows us how primitivism and modernism were two sides of the same coin in the 1950s and 60s. Decor deities and ersatz ancestors outrageously merged in the modern brutalist furniture from the house of WITCO, a company that outfitted Elvis Presley's Jungle Room and Hugh Hefner's Chicago Playboy pool..."

which means that in the first half of the book I am chronicling the convergence of primitivism and modernism in the 20th Century, and how Tiki evolved from it (with SOME examples of Witco);
and (after thus providing the context for it) the second half of Tiki Modern showcases the history of Witco as a prime example of that phenomenon.

And of course there will be tri-lingual captions, and the German and French translations in the back, so that Taschen can keep the price down by getting American AND European distribution in one printing.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2006-12-29 16:39 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-29 6:15 pm   Permalink

Hello Big Bro,
Spring or early summer, Lava Rock background or not Im still really excited about the book coming out. Will there be any events to coincide with the release? Will you be doing a book tour? And is there any Witco left at the former Chicago Playboy mansions pool?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 10:55 am   Permalink

1.) I certainly hope so

2.) That will all depend on my work schedule in Germany this summer

3.) As far as I know Playboy has left the building, so I doubt it. Witco was considered temporary, expendable decor.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-30 9:20 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bigbro,

I look forward to the book and the one after that.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thorsten Hasenkamm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 12:42 am   Permalink

Hardcover
250 pages
June 2007
German, French, English

http://www.amazon.de/Tiki-Modern-Sven-Kirsten/dp/3822847178/sr=1-2/qid=1167986282/ref=sr_1_2/303-4727769-7841826?ie=UTF8&s=books

View Profile of Thorsten Hasenkamm Send a personal message to Thorsten Hasenkamm  Email Thorsten Hasenkamm Goto the website of Thorsten Hasenkamm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2007-01-05 12:49 am   Permalink

Topics merged!

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thorsten Hasenkamm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 03:24 am   Permalink

Oh, haven't seen that!

View Profile of Thorsten Hasenkamm Send a personal message to Thorsten Hasenkamm  Email Thorsten Hasenkamm Goto the website of Thorsten Hasenkamm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 09:59 am   Permalink

Amazon now has it listed for Sept. '07 in the U.S.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 8:11 pm   Permalink

An incredible year for Tiki tomes.

Tiki Road Trip and Tiki Modern. I don't know if my coffee table is big enough.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 11:30 am   Permalink

I've seen this book on Amazon for the last several weeks and have been tempted to pre-order it from them, but then I thought: Is this the best way for Sven? What is BigBro's preferred source we order from? Or put another way, which source pays the biggest commission to the author? Or, is Amazon good?

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 11:42 am   Permalink

Perhaps we might be able to order signed copies from Sven, like you could with "Tiki Quest".

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 1:36 pm   Permalink

Hmmm....maybe, eventually, when I have my Kon-Id gallery website up, I actually should be selling it there, signed. But to make sure you get it asap, you should go Amazon. And thank you for thinking of me, but commission-wise I am getting some minute percent of Taschen" sales (better than the "zero" for the BOT!), so it is only quantity that adds up, not where obtained.

Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 9:34 pm   Permalink

Book signing party with cash only sales! Silverlake here I come!!!!!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 9:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-28 20:33, RevBambooBen wrote:
Sounds to me that,
The "Designer",
is banging the Publisher!!

Does she have a sister?

(collect your fee as you exit Unga.)

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-18 11:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-05-18 11:42, atomictonytiki wrote:
Perhaps we might be able to order signed copies from Sven, like you could with "Tiki Quest".

Is "Sven new school tiki" or "old school tiki" ( like oceanic art's, mugs.........)????

Shipping or not!?

would be the question!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation