FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Road Trip: Milwaukee (9/22), Atlanta (9/29) -- SEE PAGE 7
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Road Trip: Milwaukee (9/22), Atlanta (9/29) -- SEE PAGE 7
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 11:32 pm   Permalink

May, 2007.

http://www.tydirium.net
Big Stone Head / Tiki Road Trip / Left Orbit Temple

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-09-19 18:12 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 11:43 pm   Permalink

Aloha friends!

Tiki Road Trip 2 is coming along nicely. The text was turned in to the editors at Santa Monica Press in January, they sliced and diced as nescessary in February and March, and now the graphic designer has it. It will be printed in May, and be in your hands by June.

There will be a number of book signings this summer, with the first of them being at Hukilau in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on June 15.

Further events will be announced soon!

In addition to debuting Tiki Road Trip 2 at Hukilau, I'll be giving an hour-long presentation called "The Making of Tiki Road Trip 2 in Technicolor" that will include pictures, words, and music. Come with James on road trips across the United States, and even across Easter Island by Jeep.

Hukilau web site:

http://www.thehukilau.com/2007/

Tiki Road Trip 2 is available for pre-order NOW at:

http://www.tydirium.net/tiki/tikiroadtrip.html

Further book signings are expected to be announced soon!

Here's the official press release:

"About Tiki Road Trip 2:

Tiki Road Trip by James Teitelbaum was released in 2003 as a guidebook to the whens and wheres of all things Tiki. The book sent thousands of people on six continents to hundreds of destinations, where they all gleefully imbibed exotic rum drinks, chowed down on sumptuous feasts, reveled in (pop) cultural history, worshipped at the altar of Tiki, and attempted contact with the opposite sex (sometimes all of these things at once).

Inevitably, the information contained in the book fell a bit out of date over the next four years, and a great sadness was heard around the globe.

But there is hope!

Yes, every four years we have an olympics, a presidential election, and a Tiki Road Trip.

May of 2007, four years (and one month) after the debut of Tiki Road Trip, Santa Monica Press will bring you Tiki Road Trip: revised and expanded.

What's new in Tiki Road Trip II:

Your world-wide guide to Polynesian Pop!

Full update to the entire text, that moves recently closed places to the closed section, adds newly opened places, and offers more historical information on classic places. Almost every entry has been revised; most have been completely re-written.

The 2003 version of Tiki Road Trip paid homage to the classic Tiki bars. The new version still includes these locations, of course, but spotlights the new places, particularly the several dozen that have opened in the past four years. Where the 2003 edition was about the history of Tiki, the 2007 edition will lean towards the future of Tiki.

A few pesky factual errors and typos from the prior edition have been corrected.

More photos than before, with high quality room shots of new and classic locations, as well as graphics such as menus, postcards, matchbooks, and artifacts such as Tiki mugs and carvings.

Expanded drink recipes section, Hawaiian vocabulary, and glossary.

New design that makes it easier to find what you're looking for, and makes the divsion between existing places and closed places more clearly defined.

Larger International section, particularly spotlighting the booming Spain, England, and Germany Tiki scenes. Much larger Hawai'i section as well.

Shag has modified his cover art: play "spot-the-difference"!

Eighty (80) pages longer; same price as the 2003 edition!

What a deal!"

[ This Message was edited by: tikibars 2007-04-26 12:40 ]

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-03 11:47 pm   Permalink

Bring it on.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 12:02 am   Permalink

Have you made any progress on finding a publisher for Big Stone Head?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 01:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-04 00:02, Paipo wrote:
Have you made any progress on finding a publisher for Big Stone Head?

That has been on the back burner for the past six months, as I get TRT II together. I have a few more leads with publishers that I will explore beginning in March of this year (after the design and editoiral work on TRT II is done). Last news on BSH is that Otto talked to some publishers for me back in October, but they didn't bite.

kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 01:28 am   Permalink

I'm on the edge of my seat...
Looking forward to it!
K.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 03:44 am   Permalink

YEE HAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait for this "new" edition James. It sounds GREAT!!!!!

Cheers and Mahalo,
Jeff

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tedtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 05:44 am   Permalink

Awesome news TB. Can't wait for it.

View Profile of tedtiki Send a personal message to tedtiki  Email tedtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 06:24 am   Permalink

My first dumb question of the day (more are bound to slip out): Is the cover shot of the book a book currently available or is it a mock up of what is to come? Thanks.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 08:27 am   Permalink

Awesome, can't wait fot the new edition James

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 08:37 am   Permalink

I love the idea of each location with menus, postcards and the tiki mugs all in one. Can't wait for May. Is there any color pages?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-04 09:06 am   Permalink

Wait .... I still haven't visited all of the sites listed in the first book!

This is great news. I am pleased that new tiki venues continue to be born, and hopefully the nation's (and world's) overall cumulative TiPSY rating total will continue to expand, rather than diminish. A second volume shows the general public that there really might be some legs to this thing called tiki.

Let the tiki revival continue!

I look forward to having the two volumes sitting side-by-side in my bookshelf.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
reedalong
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-04 09:51 am   Permalink

Awesome! Can't wait for the book signing in Chicagoland!!!

View Profile of reedalong Send a personal message to reedalong      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-04 08:37, hiltiki wrote:
I love the idea of each location with menus, postcards and the tiki mugs all in one. Can't wait for May. Is there any color pages?

Oops, didn't mean to be unclear here - there are not (nescessarily) menus, AND postcards, AND mugs for every location. There would be no room for that, and even with the help of some of the biggest collectors here, I am not sure that anyone could assemble ALL of that! I just meant that there are more of these sorts of pictures in general than in the previous edition.

Santa Monica Press and I went back and forth about color, and they ultimately decided that it would drive the price of the book up higher than what the market would bear. So no color.

Also, since someone asked, the cover art seen above is final.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 11:34 am   Permalink

Can't wait to get mine!!!!

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation