FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Road Trip: Milwaukee (9/22), Atlanta (9/29) -- SEE PAGE 7
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Road Trip: Milwaukee (9/22), Atlanta (9/29) -- SEE PAGE 7
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 2:31 pm   Permalink

I am beYOND excited about this thing!!

Congrats for putting that baby to bed, jt!
The hours involved boggle my mind (and I've only been researching one stinkin' city!!)
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN

Posted: 2007-01-04 4:32 pm   Permalink

I am looking forward to the new book. Don't feel bad about not having color....it is hard for some eyes to read off of colored pages. The white pages with black font will be much easier to read for some of us. The pictures sound fabulous and I luuuuv the cover. Come on May!!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-04 6:34 pm   Permalink

Just in time for Green Bay?

Can't wait to get mine!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sneakyjack
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 6:55 pm   Permalink

Should be cool - Thanks for makinit happen!

let me know when we need to the video version...

View Profile of sneakyjack Send a personal message to sneakyjack      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-04 8:46 pm   Permalink

Are there going to be any maps?

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 12:13 am   Permalink

Looks good James! I also am excited to add this installment to my collection. Quick question I have is did you happen to add a website directory of remaining open establishments to the revisement, or are you going to wait until TRT "tres-tiki"?

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 10:45 am   Permalink

Maps, websites, color... all great ideas, along with DangerGirl's old suggestion that the book be laminated to survive messy bar encounters.

The problem here is space. As it is, the manuscript for this edition is so much longer than TRT I, and so much more info-packed, that the designer and editor are having a problem figuring out how to make it fit into the alotted page count.

I probably could have squeezed in web sites, but Dave over at
www.konakai.com does such a great job of that, plus web sites change and come and go so fast, that I decided not to include them. My biggest sadness is how TRT I has become out-of-date, and I really want TRT II to last and be relevant for as long as possible... so web sites are probably not the best idea towards that end.

There actually were driving directions in TRT I, but they were axed by the editorial staff of Santa Monica Press. Maps are even better, but are a HUGE space-sucker.

One day, someone will give me a green light and budget to do an encyclopedia-sized ultra-TRT, but until then, the format remains more or less the same - but with newer info, more info, and more clearly laid out.

These are the realities of the publishing world, and are universal. Even Sven, for example, has often related tales of having to have had to lop two entire chapters off of the BOT at Taschen's demand!

I wonder how much Rick Steves has HIS travel books butchered?

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 1:51 pm   Permalink

I'm waiting for the downloadable book of tiki that will fit in a hand held computer, complete with GPS and maps all loaded up. In the meantime, I will definitely be purchasing TRTII!
I'm so excited about this. I've gotten a lot of use out of the first one after stumbling upon it a couple years ago in the "Travel" section of a Borders. I had no idea what it was, but it was so intriguing. This was the first "tiki" book I owned-- long before I had a copy of the BOT (pretty hard to find), I had TRT.
I still use mine quite a bit, though it breaks my heart every time I get to the Columbus Ohio section, as I never made it to the Kahiki.
Thanks, James, for all your hard work in putting this together. I'm sure this book is going to be a great resource for many years to come. Hopefully it will have a longer lifespan than the first!
Cheers!

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 1:58 pm   Permalink

Congratulations, James! I'm sure it's going to sell like hotcakes. It would be neat if demand becomes great enough to justify regional tiki guides, giving you the room you'd need to go hogwild.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 2:44 pm   Permalink

looks great!! however, if you want to save room for more info and pics of bars, then ditch the section on drinks and hawaiian vocab.....let's face it, grog log is the source we mainly use for drinks and there are dozens of books about hawaiian language......if you had the room, great!! i would say include all that, but if you are coming up short, get rid of those sections...i would rather have more info about the places as opposed to how to speak hawaiian and more rehash of drink recipes......tiki road trip is the source to go to to learn about and locate tiki places.....i feel you should focus more on that......yes, i see the relevance to having the other sections but, why use up valuable page space on yet another zombie recipe....I think more photos of places will really add to the book and enchance it further as a reference source, for now and future tiki enthusiasts...we can get drink recipes and hawaiian vocab from a 100 other sources.........just my 2 cents. as usual.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 3:30 pm   Permalink

Good advice, Tipsy. Your comments do make sense.

In fact, the drink recipe section in the 2003 TRT was put there at the urging of the publisher. Way back in 2002, I wasn't quite the master mixologist yet, so I enlisted the help of The Jab to help me get some of the recipes together.

NOW, however, mixology is one of my fave parts of the Tiki experience, and in the past five years my skills have increased a LOT (if I may say so myself). So for TRT II, I will be sort of bummed if the new and improved recipes section gets axed! But yah, the Beachbum's books, and classic Vic's tomes definitely trump my lil' Pisco recipes...

The justification for the Hawiian vocabulary is because a lot of the words are used in the text of the book, so having the vocab lesson is good for us haoles to look up the words we don't understand.

We'll see what happens - hopefully the designer can squeeze it ALL in... all 109,491 words of it!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 10:55 pm   Permalink

Someone should write the 'Un-Tiki Roadtrip' book, which would give the location and review of every lame-ass tiki-wannabee, tiki bar in the entire country.

If you owned a tiki establishment that served a mai-tai that was either bright red in color, or looked and tasted as if it were a marketing promotion device from the Kool-Aid company, then your place would be listed in the book. If your tiki establishment were inspired by the garish colors found in your typical Party Store chain establishment, then you would end up in the book. If your place never booked an authentic sounding Hawaiian band or a Hula dance troupe, but instead every weekend hired bands and DJs that would play only Top-40, wedding reception mainstream type music, then you would be listed in this book. If you owned a tiki bar that sold ten times as many Budweisers than mai-tais, and the total length of neon tubes in your beer promotion signs was ten times more than the total length of the bamboo reeds used as decor, then you would be listed in this book.

And since this is the modern age, each copy of the 'Un-Tiki Roadtrip' could come with a garish tiki bumper sticker, which would have a small electronic chip embedded within, which would regualrly emit an electronic signal. The un-tiki people would place these on their cars. Each Tiki Central member would have an antidote electronic device, which we would keep in our own cars, which would give loud yelps if it were ever to enter a parking lot where three or more of the Un-tiki vehicles with bumper stickers were located. Then us true-tiki types could drive by an unexpected tiki place, be seduced by the flashing tiki sign outside begging us to stop, but be warned off by the yelping that this was likely a poor place to visit.

If there is a downfall to the above plan, it is how to counteract against the massive confluence of thousands of cars parked within a Jimmy Buffet concert parking lot. Such a massive conglomeration of electronic chips may overload the entire country's electrical grid, if not cause the earth to be knocked off its axis of magnetic rotation and planetary revolution.

Well, the above scenario may really be too advanced for today's technology. But the purpose of this message is to show an alternative, and help us appreciate the current and soon to be updated Tiki Road Trip books. Simply keep a copy within your car, or use it as a reference before you travel, and you will soon find your way to the best tiki locations within the country and world, and thus enhance your overall sense of true tiki awareness and tiki enjoyment.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 01:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2007-01-03 23:43, tikibars wrote:
Pre-order information and signing dates are TBA.

As much as I liked the last LA signing at Wacko/Soap Factory,
can the next LA signing be at a more appropriate location?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 12:02 pm   Permalink

Vern:
Terrifying!!

I'd like to share with you all (I think I've already told tikibars) a tale of the power of TRT.
I got a phone call years ago from my friend Fleeman (the owner of the FAB Jeep art car called "Electrolux," which he had at the last Exotica). He was calling from the road - literally. He was driving on the highway somewhere in the Midwest and he'd seen a billboard for the Tiki Truckstop!
"So I figured you would likely know, Alice; is it worth stopping at the Tiki Truckstop? It's the next exit and I need to know if it's worth getting off the highway for!"

I ran to my trusty copy of Tiki Road Trip, looked it up, and ran back to the phone. "Keep on driving, my friend! TRT says its TiPSY factor is zero. No tiki in the joint!"
And so he passed up the exit. What teamwork! Like a GPS for tiki, he called me; just make a call and find out the low-down on every tiki establishment in the US! But I had to give full credit to James and his team of researchers.

And Fleeman will be getting his own copy of TRT2 from me in May.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 4:17 pm   Permalink

Congrats Sir! I look forward to adding this updating edition to my tiki library. Look forward to further works from you.

View Profile of Kahu Send a personal message to Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation