FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 06:43 am   Permalink

Bowana,

These are some serious chops up in here! I am floored! WOW! This last guy is about as perfect as I would think one can be. How you do dat?

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 11:47 am   Permalink

Bowana, You just keep Blowing us Away. The Lantern is really Awesome but Stinky is plain ol' Incredible. Beautiful stuff.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-02 8:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks Paipo, GROG, GMAN, and Benz.

How do I do dat, GMAN? Same way you do dat. Lotsa practice, and the willingness to take advantage of your holiday weekend to carve.

Paipo: What! Show detail pictures so you can figure out how the hell I do it? And give up my secrets? Hah! Secret is that there is no secrets. Just a lot of attention to detail and getting caught up in what I am doing.

I just so happened to have taken some detail shots so here ya go!

Here's what became of this guy:

A splintering fall apart mess of stupid rotting palmwood. I banished him to the jungle that I call my back yard, but he seems to be happy here.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 9:21 pm   Permalink

Hey, Bowana-dav! Nice detail shots on the Ku. The Maoi also looks good in your jungle. Any self-respecting jungley tiki yard should have a rotting idol hidden somewhere. I always love checking your work.

Cheers,

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-02 11:59 pm   Permalink

I'm speechless.
One word come to me: perfection.
Is stinky a kind of twin of Lanakila ?
Beautiful moai too, He looks happy among the trees.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-09 9:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks Aaron and Benjamin. Yeah, Lana Kila and Stinky are twins in a manner of speaking. I have to keep carving like that until I get it right!

...And now for something completely different.

This Yipwan pendant I posted a while back is based on an oil painting my mom did around 1960.

There are two paintings that make up the set, palm trees and Yipwan. I've never seen any photographs of this particular Yipwan carving, so I don't know where the image came from that the painting was based on. Unfortunately Mom has not been with us for several years now, so I can't ask her. Shoulda when I had the chance!

She also made this pendant. It's about 1 1/2" and carved from some kind of stone. It's got "1954" carved on the back. I don't know anything about the design. Maybe she made it up. The stone is soft enough to have been carved with a pocket knife, which is what I beleive she used. Maybe some of my Stoner friends can tell me what kind of stone it might be?

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 06:27 am   Permalink

Your mom did very nice works. The pendant you made out of her painting is incredible too. Art has something to see with genetics, maybe.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 07:03 am   Permalink

Sir Dave - (Bowana means sir)

Your skills are over the top brother!

It takes mucho discipline, and love of art to carve major crazy stuff all day long for a living, and then come home at night to carve tiki. You are a true artist in every since of the word.

Your work, Ben's work, and a few others have been major inspiration to me this week....after this next kiln load, I'm shelving the clay and jumping back into carving.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-10 11:19 am   Permalink

Wow! Love the paintings!(A lot of mana in them.. if you could say that of a painting...)Very nice! Saludos Sr.!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-15 9:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-10 06:27, benella wrote:
Art has something to see with genetics, maybe.

Merci Benjamin. Yes, I don't think I had a choice! In my family everybody is either an artist or a car mechanic.

Thanks Babalu. Don't completely abandon the ceramics though. I still want to use your kiln!

Gracias, Clarita mi amiga. Paintings do have mana.

Here's my latest:

22" of the driest palm wood I've ever worked with. (courtesy of 4WD) Light as a feather, and no worries about surprise cracking.

I made one similar to this guy once before. I named it Ali'i. Since I have no name for this one yet (and "Mr. Noname" is already taken by some guy) I'll just call him Ali'i the 2nd. Gosh, how creative.

This is my Hurry-Up-And-Finish-It-Already-Will-Ya corner. Hopefully it won't get any bigger before I can get these hurry upped and finished.

tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-09-16 01:44 am   Permalink

beautiful work my friend

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 02:36 am   Permalink

Wow, oceanic art in the genes - how cool is it that you have pieces your mother made in the original heyday of tiki? Interesting how this stuff manifests itself in our lives later on...
The stone looks a lot like what I carve - greywacke - except mine definitely can't be worked with steel tools. I would guess it's still very similar, i.e. sandstone, but just a type that hasn't been pressure cooked in the fault zone like what we have here.
Magical chizzlin as always...goes without saying!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 07:48 am   Permalink

Dave, can you fix my truck?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 11:41 am   Permalink

Cool new one, the wood does look great!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 3:02 pm   Permalink

Sir Bowana rules!! Just out of the kiln...Dave I think you could redesign the Space Shuttle into a wheel barrow if you had an extra month or so.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation