FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 3:11 pm   Permalink

PS...Hope you don't mind Bowana...I just couldn't help but to link your Site...You IS a "MASTER CARVER" my friend!!
http://members.aol.com/kelea98/dave/

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 3:16 pm   Permalink

You're a maniac! Where can I get one of those 2" gillmen?!?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 06:43 am   Permalink

Pretty Incredible stuff. Where'd you Learn to do that(besides the mentors you were fortunate enough to find). Love the Lanterns.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 10:31 am   Permalink

Master Carver Dave:
One question:

Did you sculpt your hair too?

Nicely Done!
Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 8:30 pm   Permalink

Marcus: Thanks for visiting, mate!

Paipo: Thanks for the stone info. I figured it would probably be you with the answer. I'll set aside a Gillman for ya and give it to you at Tiki Oasis 9!

4WD: Sure, I can fix your truck. I'll need an extremely heavy sledge hammer. That, and a protractor ought to do the trick.

Clarita: Gracias como siempre, amiga!

Babalu: Thanks for the use of your kiln, and for posting the lanterns picture. Saved me from having to do it. Nah, that's okay that you linked my site. It needs updating, one photo in particular.

Benz: Where'd I learn to do that? Well, I do have to give a lot of credit to my mentors. They were extremely hard on me. A lot of ersatz apprentices would come through there with visions of grandeur but when it came right down to it, they didn't really want to work. My mentors kicked my ass every day just to make sure I was not going to waste their time too when they were paying me to learn while I sculpted for them. My sculptures were literally torn apart in front of me during critiques. It got to a point to where I developed a serious thick skin, and had a huge chip on my shoulder. I was determined to make the best friggin' sculptures they'd ever seen, whether it was an Indian figurine or a Winnie the Pooh lamp.

I would say then that it was the willingness and tenacity of both parties that brought my skill level up. (Even though I wanted to quit oh so many times)

That was years ago now, but to this day I am still in touch with my mean ol' mentors and consider them among my dearest friends. Oh, and they still hire apprentices if anyone is interested. (I'm serious)

Buzzy: I hate you , you bastard!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 05:55 am   Permalink

I'm Interested!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 06:30 am   Permalink

You're actually a professional sculptor?!

Holy Kokonuttios, I thought you were amazing, but you get a paycheck out of this! Oh My Gawunga! You are our official Kahuna Bowana from now on!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zaya
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 12:42 pm   Permalink

I love that story about your mom! You did an amazing job replicating her painting in your carving. You really brought it to life. She would be so proud of you!

Ok, so we've known you about 10 months now, and you've been holding out this "Professional Sculptor" career of yours? I think at the next chop we should find out what we all "Really" do. I'm still wondering about Cammo....
It was great to see some of the work you've done, it's incredible! I really like the sculpt you did of Jimi. The details are amazing and life-like.

Dave, you have to admit, that hairdo of yours is the bomb! And can we all talk about the color please? A redhead? We would have never known! I think you should grow it out again for old times sake. Oh yeah, and if you ever want to see some pictures of Buzzy with a hairdo let me know.

Zaya

View Profile of Zaya Send a personal message to Zaya  Email Zaya Goto the website of Zaya     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 2:26 pm   Permalink

I WANT TO SEE PICTURES OF BUZZY WITH HAIR!!!!!!

Was it long?
Was it strong?

Was it dark?
Did it look like bark?

Was it curly?
Kind of gurly?

Was it wet?
Or in a hair net?

PICTURES OF BUZZY WITH HAIR!
Where?
Where?
Where?

[ This Message was edited by: Cammo 2007-09-18 15:01 ]

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 2:33 pm   Permalink

Geez. Just when you think you're getting to know someone, you find out all this amazing stuff. BFA from Long Beach? Knives? Imagineering?

My head is still reeling from all the stuff I found out about Buzzy at the last Chop...

Fabulous bio, Dave.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 8:26 pm   Permalink

Oh, I thought you guys already knew my deep dark secret. Yes, it is possible to be a full time sculptor and actually make a decent living at it! I've been doing it steadily since 1992.

Zaya: Thanks for the compliments (about the sculpting, not my hair, which incidentally has never been red. The color in that photo is messed up. I blame Buzzy).

Cammo: No! No pictures of Buzzy with a 'do on my thread!

Benz: Are you willing to relocate to Fallbrook (the Avocado capital of the world), CA?

Kate: Yeah, I guess we've all got our little surprises.

Now, more Tikis and less about my hair, dammit!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-18 20:26, Bowana wrote:
Now, more Tikis and less about my hair, dammit!

Dav,

How about if we talk about tikis with hair...

...and how those were an early inspiration for your work?

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 8:58 pm   Permalink

Geeez,

I'd kill for that hair do of yours there Bowana...hell, I'd kill to have any one of those tiki dos too.

I never have bad hair days, just no hair days.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 10:22 pm   Permalink

This was bound to happen next, so I figured I'd get it over with now by doing it myself.

I feel so GROG.

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-18 11:33 pm   Permalink

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation