FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 5:19 pm   Permalink

Tikidav, just wanted to pop in and say that I really like your work. I mean every piece you have shared is teriffic.
Plus I admire artists like yourself that can achieve such excellent results with different materials. Your Moai are tops in my book. Thanks for sharing your work with us. SO COOL!

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-06 8:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much for all of your responses.

Capt'n Skully: Agreed! Bondo does rule. Especially when there's a world of sin to hide with it.

Tiki Duddy: Yeah, I guess living in San Diego makes us take having palm tree logs at our disposal for granted. Hope you will be able to score one for yourself.

BK, JP, and Benella: Thanks and Merci for visiting!

Aaron: Glad to hear that you were slacking on the internet while at work on a Saturday. Just as everyone should when they make you work on the weekend!! Will you be at 4WD's Chop-Chop?

Buzzy: Thanks for the heads up about the mold/mildew. Haven't noticed any as of yet. I have come across some rotting areas towards the core of the wood. It's darker and doesn't carve. It just sorta wants to fall apart and splinter, so I was not able to go as deep as I wanted on this piece. (see pictures below)

8FT: Thanks for popping in!

Today I sketched out the eyelids and beard using a rifler mostly. Better control in the tight areas.

I wanted the feet to be thinner so I changed it so that the feet are on a base. Too easily breakable if the feet were that thin and freestanding.

You can see the rot I mentioned on top of the head and between the knees. Hard to see in the pictures, but it's the splintery looking areas. I wanted to carve deeper and put some more open space between the legs, but it looks like I'll have to stop where it is now.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 10:00 am   Permalink

Dave,

What kind of rifflers do you use? Can you post a pic? I have some stone rifflers that are just the right size, but are way too course. I also ordered some wood rifflers from an internet site, but they seemed way too small for any serious medium scale carving.

Love the details emerging on this tiki.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Davez_tikiz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 10:34 am   Permalink

Ditto for me... he's lookin really nice. I'd like to see a pic of the rifflers your using as well...

View Profile of Davez_tikiz Send a personal message to Davez_tikiz  Email Davez_tikiz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-07 11:20 am   Permalink

Great stuff. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 1:11 pm   Permalink

Excellent , Precise detail TD, I really love the face on this guy. Ditto on seeing the rifflers too!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 1:47 pm   Permalink

Very nice! I really like how perfect your teeth are. You have great attention to detail. Can't wait to see him finished.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 5:31 pm   Permalink

Very nice work

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 7:51 pm   Permalink

Wow Dave, I'm really impressed by how this big guy is turning out, of course most of the pictures you have of him make him look smaller than he is. Great work on your other stuff too, it's great to see what people can do with a redwood fence post.
Mieko

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-07 7:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks so much everybody.

The riffler, eh?

It's about 7 1/4" long. Really not very big, but excellent for doing detail work. I used it a lot when carving the Styrofoam Moai. Actually, I have used on all of my carvings. I'm planning on putting it to good use when I start on the AAC block you gave me, Aaron.

It's got a straight end, and a curved. (The tip was already broken when I got it. I swear I didn't do it!) No manufacturer name. It has "Italy" and the number 2, and letter B (or R) stamped on it. It was given to me years ago, so I'm afraid I don't know anything about it's origin.

It's great for making grooves. Quite a groovy tool!

Now here's a question I've got:

What is the cause of the horizontal marks pointed out by the arrows? That's not the grain. It's left by the chisels. I would like to have nice clean chisel marks, but I keep getting this. Is it from carving with a dull tool? Anyone else experience this?

In case you are curious, that's the hat of a Gnome carving I'm also working on. Not a Tiki, but there's no reason why the two cannot be friends!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 8:56 pm   Permalink

Travelocity!

Dave, you're work knocks me out! I'm looking foward to seeing what you carve at the chop chop.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 11:28 pm   Permalink

About time you had your own carving thread! They're all beautifully executed pieces, but I particularly like Ali'i as he's a little different than most of the Hawaiian influenced pieces you see- he reminds a bit of the feather effigies.
I think I have a very similar riffler to that - it's extremely useful for limestone carving, and I always use my little ones when I'm bone carving. They are such a versatile tool. I would love some decent quality ones for hard stone work.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-08 8:50 pm   Permalink

4WD: Wassup, Bill! Looking forward to the Chop-Chop. I'll probably bring the one I started at Meiko's to work on if I'm not done with it by that time.

Paipo: You are correct, sir! Ali'i was based on the Hawaiian feather effigies. I meant for the mohawk/frill to be bigger, but ran out of real estate on the log. I wanted it to look like this smaller (3 1/2") figure that I had sculpted a few years earlier.

Also, here's my entry for the Paipo/Tama "Who Can Make It The Smallest" contest.

Not a very good shot, but my camera won't go that close. It's a Moai I sculpted and cast in resin. I was planning on casting some in silver, but it never happened.

Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 12:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-08 20:50, Tikidav wrote:

Also, here's my entry for the Paipo/Tama "Who Can Make It The Smallest" contest.

Not a very good shot, but my camera won't go that close. It's a Moai I sculpted and cast in resin. I was planning on casting some in silver, but it never happened.

Whoa....we may have a new titleholder! What medium did you use for the original sculpt and what tools were used to shape it? I think a little stone ahu pendant with a row of those guys along the top would look pretty neat! Is it just a head, or is there a body hiding under your thumb?

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 01:12 am   Permalink

WOW!!! From really big to really small - Really impressive!

*Id like to know what the original was made from too? Wax?

**And just how small is it? 9.9mm is the target if there is to be a new winner!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation