FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-29 6:23 pm   Permalink

awesome job on Ali'i II! as was just said,-you don't see him much. you did an extra-fine job on his feature compasition. and the chiseled finish is nice and even. and thanks for making me feel alright with my long finish times!;)

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-03-30 9:29 pm   Permalink

Benz and Greentikipat, let's start our own club and call it something like Slow Tiki Carver's of America (STCA). Hmmm...nice acronym.

Thanks, Conga and Lake Surfer. Yeah, this is one of my fav images from Hawaii to replicate.

Gracias, Clarita! Hmm... a mug, eh? Sure! Porque no? But first I have to finish the hitlist from '07, so it might be a while.

Harro, yes you did indeed see a guitar body on the pile. I've been doing some work on it. A guitarist friend of mine had the idea to build one and wanted me to design a island design sort of body. I decided to first build a model and see how it looked before I ruined an expensive guitar.

It's based on a Fender Telecaster. The body is cut out from a high density press wood called HD something. It's great stuff to work with. It can be easily shaped and sanded to a fairly high polish. At this point it's got a few coats of white primer on it. I used a woodburner (courtesy or Zaya) to make the patterns. .

The neck is also the HD Something wood. The pickguard is sheet styrene. The fretboard is a thin slice of hardwood.

The overall length is 20".

This will give an idea of the size.

...and at the same time honors GMAN!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-30 10:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-03-30 21:29, Bowana wrote:
The body is cut out from a high density press wood called HD something.

I believe that's MDF.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 04:29 am   Permalink

WOW, now you're shaping/carving a guitar ! Very good. Good choice too, the telecaster is a Legend !

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-03-31 6:52 pm   Permalink

thanks Bowie. Being a guitar player i am particularly interested in this project. But I was shocked when I got to the last pic to discover that its just a wee willy mini guitar and not full sized - I was fooled to begin with!!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-02 10:21 pm   Permalink

4Wheeler- I think MDF is Medium Density, and HDF is High Density. Don't know what the F is though.

Benella- Thanks! The Telecaster body shape also has more space to draw on than some of the others.

Harro- Haha! Gotcha! Hope you had enough space in your suitcase to bring your guitar to BA with you. if not, maybe you need one this size!

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 10:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

I LOVE this!! Is this based on a museum piece or anything?

Slow carvers of America? Yeah, the last one I did (my 3rd only) took like 3 months!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 3:11 pm   Permalink

It's like the slow food movement - good things take time you know.
Man, I stopped in here to thank you for hooking Babs up with that clay (Thanks! ), and I see I'm way behind in keeping up with your work.
Quote:

On 2008-01-28 22:15, Bowana wrote:
I found a bit of time here and there to do a some work on Lil' Pumpkin. Mostly on the eyelashes/braids.

This vertebra area has proved to be the most difficult part. Not only does it need to be somewhat symmetrical (X4), but it breaks easily while carving. I have had to retrieve a few pieces from off the floor and glue them back on. DOH!

Thanks for looking.

This little guy looks like he could've stepped straight of a 1960s Coco Joe's catalogue. Mindblowing detail! Perfect posture!

And I couldn't find these in this thread:

...so here they are. Still got any of these available? I love the ali'i design, it's kind of a signature piece for you.

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-03 5:52 pm   Permalink

The tele is lookin cool. I'm excited to see what you can do with it. That could be marketable! Do a jazzmaster next, and of course, a strat!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-03 9:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Big T! Yes, it's based on the Hawaiian feathered Ku Kaili Moku images, like these. I've not seen any carved from wood though.

Thanks Surfintiki, a Mosrite Ventures should be on that list too!

Hey, Paipo! I hope you like the clay. It's actually more of a wax, and it's purrrfect for getting hyper-detail. Yes, I've got some Ali'i pendants available.

Do you have any of these lying around doing nothing?
I'm looking into the crystal ball and seeing a possible swap!

TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-03 21:47, Bowana wrote:
Thanks, Big T! Yes, it's based on the Hawaiian feathered Ku Kaili Moku images, like these. I've not seen any carved from wood though.

Thanks!! That's a superior interpretation you've made from those pics.

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-04 08:32 am   Permalink

Uh! yes I agree with ThebigT! Great interpretation indeed!
a lot of activity around here lately, nice lil' guitar and shoes !

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 3:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-03 21:47, Bowana wrote:

Thanks Surfintiki, a Mosrite Ventures should be on that list too!

Ahh Bowana, now you're really reeling me in here... I've always loved Mosrites but in Aust they are so rare that you have to be a millionaire to buy one -thats if you were lucky enough to even find one... lucky a buddy in another fellow punk band in my hometown of Brisbane also loved the Ramones and Mosrites (but also couldnt afford one) - so he built one. Then some more for some other friends in other bands. He called them Wosrites and crafted them all by hand and to the finest details. I got one made by him about 8 yrs ago based on the Ventures model exactly as you pictured above - he named it a Wosrite Versatone model - but with a custom 50's style light blue paintjob (damn dont have any pics with me). Its my favourite guitar and is safely in storage back home - some of my other guitars werent so lucky and were sold to fund flights, food and so on!

I didnt bring a guitar with me but i did buy a cheap one here. By the way, my mate is doing really well now, and has a long waiting list and made guitars for some pretty cool bands - check out the custom page at
http://www.tymguitars.com.au/index.html. When he made mine he was still working a day job and handcrafting guitars under his house in his spare time. I knew he would eventually make a living out of it as he was talented and had such a passion for it.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-07 5:41 pm   Permalink

Oh Harro...I was just playing one of those!..

They were at..
http://www.gruhn.com/

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-04-08 9:20 pm   Permalink

Big T- Thanks! Glad you like it!
Clarita- Gracias! Te gustas mis zapatas, eh? (you like my shoes, huh?)

Right on Harro, and Surfintiki! A couple of Mosrite fans! Congrats to Tym, Harro. Those are excellent guitars he's made. Post a shot of yours if you ever get one. Making guitars is really a challenge. I'm running into a lot of things I had not anticipated, such as getting the neck pocket straight so that the strings will align properly with the bridge. Good thing this is only a small model or else I would have had to have thrown it away already. I can imagine what a task it would be to make the real deal full sized.

Right now I've just got the neck clamped on and need to get it straight before permanently attaching it.

I carved the designs deeper using a very small V shaped linoleum cutter. The red blotches are spot putty to patch where the stupid cutter slipped.

I glued the fretboard onto the neck and shaped the neck with a drum sander and heavy sandpaper glued to a tongue depressor.

Thanks for looking! Maybe you guys already know about Eastwood Guitars
http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/ They make very cool retro instruments too.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation