FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 12:29 am   Permalink

Bowana - Its been too long since I caught your progress - not since the 'TD' days of the Mini-Moai record attempt in fact. Thanks to some recent developments* Im managing to catch up again.

Dude, your work is so solid; perfect poses & headdresses on the Hawaiians and your Moais are more Moai than Moais! Whats next? Casually tackling guitar construction, of course.

*By the power of broadband I will be keeping up with you in future. Bring it on..

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-28 8:53 pm   Permalink

Babalu! Tiki-Kate! teaKEY! 8FT Tiki! 4WD! seeksurf! Clarita! harro! benella! Benzart! Paipo! Mooney! Tama! Thanks so much for your visit! Merci, Benjamin, y el gusto es mio, Clarita!

Quote:

On 2008-04-23 08:15, Tiki-Kate wrote:
I fear that your Hurry Up And Finish It Already Corner is getting smaller than mine.

Little by little chipping away at it, Kate. Here's the before and current status:

The guitar and the lil' guy up front are all that need some work.

Quote:

On 2008-04-24 19:49, harro wrote:
Are you German by any chance?? That is just too precise!!

A tiny bit of German in me, harro, but I'm mostly Jack Russell Terrier.

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 10:31, Benzart wrote:
"STCA" Huh, I Resemble that remark , I'm Definitely the leader in That group. Love the Guitar too. What Can't You DO?

I have trouble sometimes tying my shoelaces. Oh Great and Powerful STCA leader, I propose a new organization, Slow Tiki Carvers of the World (STCW) I don't think we are alone.

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 15:18, Paipo wrote:
I've got a big block of limestone (also earmarked for a moai) that looks almost identical to AAC, and had thought of trying some sort of concrete seal/stain process on it.

Go for it, Paip! If it's something created by you, it's going to be fabulous.

Quote:

On 2008-04-25 18:25, MooneyTiki wrote:
! How do you carve it so Kleen and tight lines.

Lots of measuring, remeasuring, and setting my brain to Robotic Carving Mode. ("Kill Mode" as Buzzy likes to call it)

Quote:

On 2008-04-26 00:29, Tamapoutini wrote:
Bowana - Its been too long since I caught your progress - not since the 'TD' days of the Mini-Moai record attempt in fact. Thanks to some recent developments* Im managing to catch up again.
*By the power of broadband I will be keeping up with you in future. Bring it on..

All right, Tama! A high speed connection is well worth it. It took me a while too before I finally caught up with the new millinium!

I know Klaus Gnomi there is not a Tiki, but there's no reason why the two cannot get along.

Play nice, fellas.

Bowana

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-29 5:13 pm   Permalink

Most excellent carves going on there.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-30 10:39 pm   Permalink

Sir B, Those tikis are as tight as one could ever hope to get a tiki, but that gnome is extra special! Very sweet carve! He might have looked just a little better naked to the world and tatooed. You would still have needed to leave the red hat on though...that's a must.

I hear the drums!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-01 12:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-28 20:53, Bowana wrote:

I know Klaus Gnomi there is not a Tiki, but there's no reason why the two cannot get along...

*I think Ive might've found the link between Tikis and Gnomes.. (it's Christmas)
Klaus-Gnomi meet Tiki-Claus.. [(c) Mieko. 2007]

Very cool Gnome! Youve captured the distinctive smiley, hairy face so well, he has heaps of character. So gnomey!

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-02 9:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks seek, Babalu, and Tama! I dunno, Babs. Is the world ready for a naked, tattooed Gnome? Hmm..well, maybe. Good one Tama! i didn't think of the connection between Klaus Gnomi and Mieko's Tiki Claus until you pointed it out!

The gap narrows!

Bowana

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 10:34 am   Permalink

Bowana,

you seem to be the master of the chiselled finish on your tikis. The gnome, Ali'i and the Lono all look great with that texture. This is something I want to do on the one I'm working on now, but I'm not sure how to go from the chiselling stage to the finished/ready-to-stain stage. How do you sand in order to keep the chisel marks but get rid of the imperfections (and horizontal chisel lines that I saw you mention a while back)? Thanks for any tips.

Cheers.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-16 07:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-15 10:34, harro wrote:
How do you sand in order to keep the chisel marks but get rid of the imperfections (and horizontal chisel lines that I saw you mention a while back)?

Buen dia, Harro! I was never able to eliminate the horizonal chisel lines I was lamenting about previously.

Each whack of the mallet makes a new one. The only way not to do it is to be able to carve off each chip in a single stroke. This method is much less controlled from what I've discovered. I've had to sacrifice one for the other, and learn to live with the imperfections so I could still have control over every subtle nuance of the carving.

With softer woods like palm it's not so severe, but with harder woods it's much more noticable. I imagine you got your share of it on the Quebracho? I found that after staining and all, the offending lines don't notice so much.

As far as Ali'i is concerned, I spent a lot of time sanding it and took out all of the chisel marks, so it's as smooooooth as ever!

Ali'i the Second here had a minimum of the horizontal chisel lines because it's carved from palm. To get a texture such as this, you have to go over it a lot and make very small cuts as you get closer to the finished look desired. Go very easy and lightly towards the end.

I hope this is helpful. Your drummer is looking great! Buena suerte, amigo!

Bowana

harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 11:54 am   Permalink

thanks Bowana.

So for Ali'i the 2nd you just chiseled down with more and more precision until you were happy with the form, and then jumped straight into the staining? So no sanding at all?

Really appreciate you masters spending time to teach us apprentices!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-21 8:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-05-21 11:54, harro wrote:
So for Ali'i the 2nd you just chiseled down with more and more precision until you were happy with the form, and then jumped straight into the staining? So no sanding at all?

That is correct, Harro! No sanding at all. I like the hard edges of the faceting left by the carving tool. To me, sanding over it makes the surface appear "blurry". I will only sand areas of extreme detail such as the face.

While I'm at it, here's some shots of my workspace(s)

These first two are the garage where I do messy work like carving and moldmaking.

My carving stand also makes a good place to store my flashlight!

Wow, what a lot of junk!

This is a corner of my inside studio where I mainly sculpt in clay. I'm working on a set of Indians for a toy soldier company currently.

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-23 07:08 am   Permalink

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-05-23 1:28 pm   Permalink

Here's a closeup for you Babalu.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MooneyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 07:04 am   Permalink

Excellent stuff Bowana! Aloha, Mooney

View Profile of MooneyTiki Send a personal message to MooneyTiki  Email MooneyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 08:20 am   Permalink

Is that a SPAM beachball?

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-25 09:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

Sculpting lil Indians...a SPAM beachball....a Frazetta Conan poster....
You're a regular Renaissance Spazz!
You're mind is always so full...
No wonder so much genius pours out!
Always a joy to see what you're working on.....
Clean up your work area tho!
it makes it less distracting
cause you know where everything is!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation