FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 9:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks, Johnny and GROG!

Johnny, the Chinese Mystery Clay is a waxy, hard clay a friend of mine got while in China.

As you can see, the label is entirely in Chinese, hence the moniker, "Mystery Clay". Babalu, who visits China often, had it translated for me. What I was hoping for was some sort of maker or brand name. What it says are things like "this clay very good for sculpting" "this clay need to be warmed up before use" ect, ect.. So no brand name or nuthin! The name of it remains a mystery, but at least I found out that it's very good clay for sculpting.

It's capable of excellent detail. Here's some of the work I've been able to do with it:

This is a portrait of the Maori chief Te Aho Te Rangi Wharepu. 7" from top of hat to bottom of base. This is a resin casting from the Mystery Clay sculpt.

Creature From The Black Lagoon, 2" tall.

3" Hula Dancer.

Thanks for looking!

Bowana

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-15 10:31 pm   Permalink

Dang Sir B...you are one amazing feller! I don't think I've ever seen that bust before - look at those teeth! Is this new?

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 11:19 am   Permalink

The bust is amazing really! and the new pendant too! what a sharp lil guy, love it!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 3:58 pm   Permalink

Exceptional detail! Your attention to detail on such a small figure is amazing. Love the Creature From The Black Lagoon. I remember that movie, laughed throuth the whole thing. You haven't lived until you seen it in 3-D. Can't wait to see what your doing next. Any hints?

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-17 9:41 pm   Permalink

Holly Crap! that's Great stuff Man incredible stuff. NICE WORK!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 12:47 am   Permalink

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 07:22 am   Permalink

Thanks for your visit everybody!

Sir Babalu, No, the Te Rangi bust is actually a few years old. I made him for a guy who runs a tattoo parlour. He sold a few on ebay, one was to a guy in NZ who was very excited to have one because Te Rangi was his great grandfather. How cool is that!

Gracias Clarita, mi buena amiga del sur!

Tikilizard, ah, but I have seen CFTBL in 3D! It was playing at a local theater when I was very young and impressionable. It was a 3D double feature along with "It Came From Outer Space" I still have my 3D "Deep Vision" glasses somewhere. Hints on what I'm doing next? Go to Barve-O-Bopia pg.16 for a clue!

Seeksurf and Benella, Thanks and merci, my friends!

Bowana

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-18 6:30 pm   Permalink

Yes, I'm with Benella, Awesome Maori chief. I've seen him before a while back but am Just as Impressed seeing him this time too. Totally Unbelievable piece of work sir!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Clysdalle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-23 3:11 pm   Permalink

man, I don't stop in for a while and I miss tons of cool stuff!!! Dave, killer work as always......the detail...just makes me want to toss my stuff in the chipper. Kick ass!

View Profile of Clysdalle Send a personal message to Clysdalle  Email Clysdalle Goto the website of Clysdalle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-28 8:53 pm   Permalink

Thanks Benz and Clysdalle!

Oh, where to begin... so much accomplished, but not finished.

Guitar update:
Whatever I said before about the most difficult part of this project, I take back.

The most difficult part was setting the frets. All 21 of them had to be straight and spaced apart correctly or it just wasn't going to look right. I used welding rod and set each one individually after much measuring and remeasuring.

Oh, did I say setting the frets was the most difficult part?

I meant to say that building the bridge saddles was the most difficult part. All three had to be identical to each other. Lots of drilling and tapping of threads and trying to find the right size hardware at the store.

Übertiki update:

I plopped some silicone on it and will cast some resin pendants from the mold this week. Yay!

New project: (as if I didn't have enough to do already)

Okay, here's what happened: I was cleaning up my shop one day and-hello, what's this?

It's a piece of AAC/Hebel that I had cut off from the side of this earlier project.

It looked too good to toss out, so I brought it to 4WD's Chop and carved a relief profile based on a pendant I had sculpted.

It's nearly done now. I'm planning on putting a frame around it and hanging it on the wall.

Bowana

tikithomas08
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-28 9:14 pm   Permalink

the sculptures are aaammmaaazzingdood! and that moai is looking pretty radd too. is the guitar going to be a fully functioning electric? or is it more of an art peice?

and i cant wait to get me one of dem der Übertiki castings!

[ This Message was edited by: tikithomas08 2008-06-28 21:15 ]

View Profile of tikithomas08 Send a personal message to tikithomas08  Email tikithomas08 Goto the website of tikithomas08     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 06:43 am   Permalink

Sir B,

Is Thomas correct? Are you going to be able to play that little axe your a building there? Now talk about cool!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-30 07:04 am   Permalink

Thanks, Thomas and Sir Babs!

Nah, the guitar is not going to be functional. It will be no more than a pretty face that will get hung on the wall.

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 10:26 am   Permalink

Oh the lil guitar is out of control, hm?! !
The pendant looks great, great!
and the new moai too!
Muy buen trabajo! Felicitaciones!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-02 3:21 pm   Permalink

Hey Dav!
That axe is looking sweet!

The nine months it's going to take you to finish it just can't come quick enough!

If you are finding that it's taking too much time to make, then you could do what I'm doing for my custom line of "TikiCasters".
I order a bunch of these guys:

1/3 scale Fender Telecaster replicas

and then I just paint tiki stuff and pinstripes on them and resell them with a considerable markup. At $52 each, that's pretty cheap for raw materials.

I think you should make a Tiki hat next.

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation