FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 01:19 am   Permalink

Thanks for the tips with the riffler: I forgot I had one ! And it's very helpful:)
Beautiful work for Ali'i... And lanakila is superb.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-07 19:58, Tikidav wrote:

Now here's a question I've got:

What is the cause of the horizontal marks pointed out by the arrows? That's not the grain. It's left by the chisels. I would like to have nice clean chisel marks, but I keep getting this. Is it from carving with a dull tool? Anyone else experience this?

If there are not grooves in your chisels, my guess is this:(picture on right-last 2 lines of explanation)

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 8:27 pm   Permalink

Benella: Find that riffler!

Paipo and Tama:

Looks like you guys got me beat. Mine's 12.5mm.

I sculpted it in epoxy putty. The kind that's used for making figures for role-playing games. This is the original sculpture. The other picture was of a resin casting.

It's just the head, no body. I mainly used these two tools:

A small steel sculpting tool that I ground down myself to suit miniature sculpting, and a standard curved dental pick.

Thanks for checking it out. Was that a Spicoli "Whoa!" Paipo?

Buzzy: Thanks for the info.

Nope, no grooves in the chisels. They were cutting in the direction of the yellow arrows leaving the horizontal marks the red arrows are pointing to. Each mark is a sort of flat spot like your book mentioned. Do you get this on your carvings? It's more prominent on harder woods.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 06:02 am   Permalink

TDav, Those lines are caused from chisel forward motion interruptions, which you get every time you tap the chisel. If you try pushing the chisel through a piece of wood by hand, shallow enough so that you make a Long sweeping cut, then you get a groove that has None of those lines. Now try making the same cut using a mallet on the chisel and you will see those lines again. It's a matter of experience and feel. If you can make the cut with ONE hit of the mallet, there are no chatter lines.
The MAIN , Good thing about those lines is that You SEE them and are trying to find out how to eleminate them instead of just ignoreing them and hoping the sand paper will remove them or cover them up. Goodonya

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 08:18 am   Permalink

Hi Dave,

Maybe a heavier mallet would help with the lines, and wail on the chisel. Let us know what happens. I have the problem too, but less so since I got a heavier mallet.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 09:17 am   Permalink

YYYYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS : I found the riffler that helped me to finish my current tiki.

Do you have more pix of Lanakila to share?
It's a wonderful piece.

Benjamin.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 8:56 pm   Permalink

Benz & Tikigap: Thanks for the info. It sounds like you guys know exactly what I mean. I am indeed using a rather light mallet. I'll be purchasing a caveman club for sure.

Benella: Glad you like Lanakila. I'll post some more shots of him for you.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 12:22 am   Permalink

BUMP.

mieko
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 4:12 pm   Permalink

I love how the big guy is turning out! Very nice. I'm also very intrigued by your miniature guy - what kind of epoxy putty? where do I get it? how long do I have to carve it before it cures? Can it be painted? Have you made rpg miniatures? Maybe I'll just grill you on it on Saturday.

View Profile of mieko Send a personal message to mieko  Email mieko Goto the website of mieko     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 8:50 pm   Permalink

Tikigap: I got myself a heavier mallet, and like you said, the problem is less so. (but not completely gone!)

Benella: You asked for it, you got it. Lanakila:

........and thanks for the bump. Hows the riffler work coming?

Here's some progress on the big guy. I'll probably name him Big Mouth or something.

Brand new shave and haircut!

The ever widening crack. Getting to be a bit of a concern now.

....and Mieko: The mini-moai was sculpted from Kneadatite Epoxy Putty. It's good for sculpting miniatures, but absolutely horrible for carving. Magic-Sculpt is my fav putty for carving. Sure, you can paint it. I'll bring you a wad of it on Saturday and you can try some out.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-15 9:26 pm   Permalink

I have to say Dave, that Lanakila is a nice tiki. I'm even more impressed that it is done in eucalyptus.
You can hide those cracks on the big guy the following way: Sand it enough to get a decent pile of dust. Mix the dust with wood glue or elmers white glue and make a paste. Fill the cracks with the paste and let it dry. I usually put a big pile of dust over the glue mix to leave as much of a layer of bare wood dust as possible as it dries. Sand it later and stain it. Sometimes you will have to reapply stain over the fixed area because it doesn't take the stain the same as the bare wood. That crack is in a good place and should be pretty easy to hide, or at least make it so it is not distracting.

Buzzy

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 07:35 am   Permalink

Thanks for the pics.
Lanakila is even more beautiful that I could ever think. Very nice work.

Big mouth is very good too.

The riffler work is coming good on my current project. Thanks

Benjamin

Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 7:36 pm   Permalink

Thanks, guys. Glad you like Lanakila. It was the first carving I made using eucalypyus, so I had no idea what to expect from it. The wood is not rock hard, but it's hard enough to get good detail on a small figure like this.

Buzzy, thanks for the repair tip. I'm sure I'll be putting it to use. I have plenty of sawdust!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 8:32 pm   Permalink

Wow man, these are great! Killer great! I likee!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 04:02 am   Permalink

What happened to Big Mouth actually ?

Benjamin.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation