FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Bowana's Other Crafts
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
Bowana's Other Crafts
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 05:23 am   Permalink

Incredible stuff as Usual Bowz and she Even has her own bone pendant. COOL!

[ This Message was edited by: Benzart 2010-08-14 16:46 ]

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-08-08 3:07 pm   Permalink

Not Babs, Bowie.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-08 6:20 pm   Permalink

Leela is gorgeous! Another Bowana masterpiece that's off the chart. Thanks Bowie for posting your latest. G

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pennjones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-08-08 7:20 pm   Permalink

Bowana, your sculpting skills blow my mind! That last one is a true beauty! I love all of your work, and it's all fun, but the last is a work of art! I expect your work will be in many books in 50 years as "one of the great mug makers of the early 21st century!

View Profile of pennjones Send a personal message to pennjones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 2:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks for visiting ever-body!

GROG-Thanks, glazing hardest part of project. Bowana not like glazing.
TORKERTIKI- If you are going to Oasis, you can get one there!
Jungle Trader- Thanks!
Benz- Yeah I gave her a Tiki pendant to make sure the piece would still be considered "Tiki". (she collects them too)
TikiG- Thanks Greg. Hope to see you at Oasis!
pennjones- Wow! What a great compliment! We'll see if that happens! Thanks very much!

Quote:

On 2010-08-08 05:23, Benzart wrote:
Incredible stuff as Usual babbs and she Even has her own bone pendant. COOL!

Quote:

On 2010-08-08 15:07, GROG wrote:
Not Babs, Bowie.

That's okay if Benz calls me Babs. Babalu is not such a bad guy to be confused with.
And besides, it's funnier that way!

I'm thinking about abandoning this thread and jumping over into the "Other Crafts" forum. I'm posting much more other crafts than carvings any more.
Hmmm...should I....?

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-08-14 3:44 pm   Permalink

"I'm thinking about abandoning this thread and jumping over into the "Other Crafts" forum. I'm posting much more other crafts than carvings any more.
Hmmm...should I....? "

Come away from the dark side! You don't belong over here B'wana, these hammer-swinging people are not like you. Come over to "Other Crafts" with the civilized people where you belong. But don't abandon your work thread for the pounders to destroy, have it moved with you

Beautiful work as usual Dave! See you at Oasis

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-08-14 4:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks Grog/grag/grig, sorry Dave/bowie/bows,, Still Awesome stuff.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-15 4:58 pm   Permalink

Bump!

Time to rock boss - see ya in a few!

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-20 08:17 am   Permalink

WHAT......ARE.....YOU?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bowana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 9:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the bumpities, guys. Yep, I did it Mike. In the Other Crafts now with a little help from Bora Boris.

So anyways...

She who once looked like this...

Spent some time looking like this...

DON'T LOOK AT ME! I'M HEEEDIOUS!

This appeared to be a successful glaze firing until one day a huge flake of glaze just fell off her face. I tried to touch up the glaze and re-fire several times, but it just kept getting worse. The glaze crawled in some spots right down to the bare ceramic. Note to self: clear gloss over fired clear gloss does not always work.

Where's my ball-peen hammer?

It almost came to that several times, but I was encouraged by Babalu to keep trying to reglaze. I managed to successfully reglaze the David Bowie eye, but the Phantom of the Opera cheek was a losing battle. Then the lip happened. This is not a good look for a girl.

Ah, an idea,

I mixed up some enamel paint. A little red, a little yellow, a little brown.
A little more red, a liittle more yellow....a drop of blue.

My first attempt on the right (after adding the drop of blue) ended up looking like baby poop green.
Next attempt on the left, brown, red, yellow...and NO blue! I was able to match the original color of the glaze very close. Not perfect, but very close.

First I flicked off all the loose glaze and ground down the trouble spot with a diamond bit to even out the surface. Then painted on several coats of the enamel until it was as smooth as I could get it. I made the lips a bit darker so they would show up better. Finally I sprayed on several coats of clear gloss Krylon until it smoothed out even more.

GROG have similar trouble with glaze I remember. GROG able to repair?
Babalu, we gotta find the solution for what causes this. Thanks for firing her so many umpteen times, Boss.

Smile, Leela. You've been given a second chance.

Quote:

On 2010-09-20 08:17, little lost tiki wrote:
WHAT......ARE.....YOU?

I.....AM......FINE......WHAT......ARE......YOU?

Later,

Bowie

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
amybean

Posted: 2010-09-28 10:17 pm   Permalink

Sponge sanding pads are the bomb. Use in between coats of paint for serious smoothing before final clear coat.
Auto and paint stores carry them. Here's a nice variety in one pack:

http://www.aftosa.com/3mspsapaset.html

Smile, Leela! Lookin good.

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-28 10:32 pm   Permalink

She looks awesome Dave! So glad she didn't end up shattered out of frustration. At the very least I am sure you could of just made her into a zombie if you needed to try a different route.

BTW after over a month I FINALLY got the Aloha Sisters mug back from MP who has been keeping it hostage since Oasis. Even though you claim your love affair with them is over they are here for you if you ever change your mind xoxoox

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2010-09-29 02:02 am   Permalink

Excellent save Bowana Dav. GROG not refire bowls with glaze problems yet, so GROG not know if problem fixed until the next glaze fire. (Hopefully soon)

Thanks for holding on to GROG' Aloha Sisters Mug, Leleliz.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-09-29 06:12 am   Permalink

BEFORE

AFTER

Great save B'wana, amazing eye for color matching!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-29 07:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-09-29 02:02, GROG wrote:
Thanks for holding on to GROG' Aloha Sisters Mug, Leleliz.

You are welcome. See...the ladies are hanging out with your work so they get comfortable around yet another amazing ceramic artist's wares

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation