FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki is dying fast in Waikiki - International Market
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki is dying fast in Waikiki - International Market
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 3:58 pm   Permalink

Aloha TC,

It is with great sadness that I update you on some of the current happenings in Waikiki. With our Stor being there, I walk through the International Market everyday on my way to work. In the past few weeks, they have removed almost everything related to tiki, for which they used to be so well known.

On the Kuhio Ave side of the Market, near the new Hart and Huntingdon Tattoo shop, there were 3 very tall tikis that were the sign for the Market. As I recall, they were at least 10-15 feet tall. The maintenance people even just repainted these last month. Last week, as I walked by, all that was left were 3 stumps, as they were gone, just sawed off at the base. I have snooped around and asked some maintenance people, security guards, and the management office. Everyone has basically said that the city/county forced them to take them down as they didn't meet code, which doesn't make any sense as they are old enough they would have been grandfathered in before any new code/law.

In the center of the Market Place, near the food court is the circular building that was the old Trader Vic's. It is now Capt. Zack's and Bobby G's Spot bars on the lower level, and a work shop on the upper level. Well, as I walked by today, they have already put up a fence around it and will be tearing down the building this week. They were also removing one of the big old trees next to it, most likely so that they can bring in heavy equipment. There were about 5 great tikis that were still on the walls of the building, but they were already gone by this morning. Word is the maintenance people did take them off.

There was also one room on the second level of the Market, which had become known as the Tiki Treasure Room. It was just an old storage room, that had one little window that you could peek into, and see hundreds of old tikis, signs, and other elements of the Market. This room has since been cleaned out, but from what I can find out, they did just move the stuff, and did not trash it.

I went up to the management office today to see if I could find out any info, but they were not that willing to give out much. They have been very secretive about the whole project, and not many know what is really going on. They did say that all of the tikis were being kept and that they are in storage now. The one thing to remember is they said the exact same thing about the 2 old moais from Don the Beachcomber's. They were removed a couple of months ago, but did end up going into the dumpster (luckily another shop owner saved them). I take everything they say with a grain of salt now.

I will monitor what is going on, and keep everyone updated.

Weeping in Waikiki...

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 4:20 pm   Permalink

Very sad. We'll be in Waikiki in June. As I understand it, the Marketplace is undergoing a multi-million dollar "upgrade", yes? Is this part of that renovation?

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 4:30 pm   Permalink

Its called urban renewal. Countless Historic buildings and districts fall prey to this malignant activity every day in the U.S. Developers are running amuck at such a rate that they are nearly out of control. City Planners and elected officials typically have no backbone when it comes to the temptation of the dollar. Also, and I hate to admit it, the lack of local interest tends to be the key. I see this crap everyday in my line of work.

Swamp.

[ This Message was edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-01-05 16:54 ]

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 4:37 pm   Permalink

Very Sad!!

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 5:20 pm   Permalink

Last year, there were articles in the paper about the Marketplace "upgrade". It was a monstrous project, with the final drawings really just looking like Ala Moana Mall. That was all kind of canceled/put on hold. I think people made a big deal about it because it included the removal of all the old banyan trees. They might just be trying to do some of it now, gradually, "under the radar".

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 7:23 pm   Permalink

That sucks man! Make some friends with some sympathetic maintenance guys I think - bribery with cocktails/merchandise might help. You wont be able to stop it, but you might be able to save some tikis from the bin!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPhil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-05 9:26 pm   Permalink

The International Market Place was always my favorite spot in Waikiki. But it seems that nowadays most tourists would rather wait in line for two hours to eat at the Cheesecake Factory on Kalakaua Ave then take a stroll through the International Market Place.

Here's a few pictures I took at the Market Place on my last visit:

View Profile of TikiPhil Send a personal message to TikiPhil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDevil9

Posted: 2007-01-05 9:40 pm   Permalink

That's a shame. I used to work in Waikiki as well; managing Pink Cadillac night club for 4 years and then working at the Hawaiian Quilt Collection. I enjoyed the days when Waikiki still had lots of tikis.

View Profile of TikiDevil9 Send a personal message to TikiDevil9  Goto the website of TikiDevil9     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-05 10:18 pm   Permalink

There are 2 auctions on ebay right now for what they are claiming as tikis from the Trader's in Hawaii and Bali Hai. I don't know if anyone recognizes them, take a look and see what you think. I wish I could afford them...
panampia

Item number: 290067813313

Item number: 290067818062

Item number: 290067818062

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-06 07:16 am   Permalink

If I have to see these missbegotten, mutant mofos peddled as vintage restaurant Tikis one more time on e-bay Im gonna go there and torch them myself! Arrrgh!

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=22327&forum=5&3

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
panampia
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-01-06 11:15 am   Permalink

Well, I guess they are not genuine. I have alot to learn, thank you to all of you for your experience and knowledge. I'll get there someday!
Panampia

View Profile of panampia Send a personal message to panampia  Email panampia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 07:44 am   Permalink

Quote:
In the center of the Market Place, near the food court is the circular building that was the old Trader Vic's.

Also...just a bit across from that building was a great large doubled-sided glass sign frame on a post...that still had the Trader Vic logo on top carved in wood. I always wanted that piece. Bet that's gone too.

I'm going to be visiting Waikiki very soon for a few nights arriving on January 23rd, and I'm staying right next door to the International Marketplace at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani. I got a feeling it's going to be a very sad sight.

[ This Message was edited by: PremEx 2007-01-07 07:45 ]

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 11:00 am   Permalink

Here are a few pictures I shot a coupla' years ago of some of the old boys around the IMP... Sorry to see 'em go.
Enjoy.

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 6:49 pm   Permalink

That it some fine urban archeology there T.R.! The forgotten sentinels of the glory days of the International Market Place will live on in these pages, even as defaced with garish colors as some of them are...

Here a few vintage memories: The I.M.P. was actually initiated by Don The Beachcomber, and intended as a ONE LEVEL village of little South Seas trading posts. It was sort of an irony that the Spencliff's Trader Vic's opened there later. Here's the entrance:

See the sign on the right, with Don's place being the main attraction. The posts with the Malanggan masks on the left were carved by Edward Brownlee, who also did the Waikikian/Tahitian Lanai. They were later copied on this Californian restaurant's menu cover:

And here is Don in front of his Waikiki restaurant, which was embedded in the Market Place:

All this was long gone, but Don's special dining place for two, his tree house, was not torn down until about a year ago. Here is a photo of it from 1999, with my son Diego on the bridge:

Bye bye I.M.T., the last traces of Don's vision will be soon erased.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-07 9:16 pm   Permalink

When I was there in the late 70's the treehouse was an Elvis Memorabilia store. I loved going there...

I don't understand how city planners can erase a town's history... it really breaks my heart that they have no historic attachment to the marketplace. I can understand if it was run down, termite ridden, etc. to tear it apart, but why they wouldn't restore it or rebuild it in it's former glory is beyond me.

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation