FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki is dying fast in Waikiki - International Market
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki is dying fast in Waikiki - International Market
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 06:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-09 23:05, tikibars wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-01-08 12:22, Swanky wrote:
Sven, that sentiment is why I really want to get to Cuba before the day comes when it is open again and is immediately renovated. Today I imagine it as a decaying time capsule. In ten years, it may look like every American beach resort, with every car on the street being new and shiney. It won't change that fast, but I bet over night there will be changes you can't begin to imagine.

Damn right, Tim.

I've been saying for years that a week after Castro dies, there'll be a Wal Mart, a McDonalds, and a Starbucks in downtown Havana.

I was in Cuba a month ago, but I was on the GitMo base the whole time, so I didn't see much. Really reinforced my urge to get down there ASAP though...

Just for those interested...

It is hard to get permission to fly to Cuba from the US. But it is easy to get a boat or plane to Cuba from Cancun. If you want to go, that is your route. Cozumel or Cuba...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 08:08 am   Permalink

Travel to Cuba is addressed in this thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=14698&forum=6

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-22 10:23 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Here is a quick photo update:

Final Score:

Trader Vic's - 0
Bulldozer - 1

You can still see traces of bamboo, tapa, and woven mats.

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 11:52 am   Permalink

Sad to add and report that the bulldozer continues to score, and that most of the stuff shown in Mo-Eye's last post of just 2 days ago, is totally gone now.

Checked into a lovely suite last night here at the Sheraton Princess Kaiulani in Waikiki, which is right next door to the International Marketplace. Looking down from my lanai, you can see the dozer at work and they're well into the complete demo of the old Trader Vic's:

I walked downstairs and over to the site just now, and took the following photos of this sad sight:

As you near the construction wall...I swear you can smell the years of booze (and history) that were soaked up in those walls and floorboards. Nothing much left of the building but the front facade you see in those photos. Looking through the front doors...you can see sunlight steaming in to what used to be a great piece of tiki history.

Arriving up to my room to make this post just now...I notice the scooper is already at work knocking down more of the building. Wouldn't be surprised if what I just now took pictures of and posted, was totally gone before I leave back to the mainland in 2 days. Could even be gone in a matter of hours.

Got a very low feeling here right now, in what is supposed to be a happy place. Despite the free suite upgrade...I'm sorta wishing I had stayed someplace else where there wouldn't be such a constant reminder of what's going on just below my windows and balcony.

Mo-Eye...if you've got the time for a quick drink at the Moana or someplace today...I'll buy you a drink and we can toast the old Vic's together. I'll PM you with my contact number.

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 1:15 pm   Permalink

I propose a wake by having all Tiki Centralites that own a T.V.s Waikiki mug mix a tropical concoction for it, and lift it in a silent tribute to yet another Tiki Temple being razed.

These crude vessels are maybe not the prettiest Polynesian pop pottery ever made (in the 1970s, nearing the decline), but nevertheless are a piece of its history (even the "Red Pants", I'm afraid! )

Auf Wiedersehen, Trader Vic's Waikiki!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 1:37 pm   Permalink

I'm in with Sven! I'll mix up a Tiki Like, though I don't know the recipe. I'll start looking for one, tout de suite, if you know what I mean. My mug's even got some cracks in it, but I'll break it out anyway.
The Missus and I have been to the IMP on two separate Hawaii vacations now, once back in 2004, and again last year in October. I vaguely remember the treehouse from '04, but didn't remember seeing it this last time we were there. Sadly, I don't think I have many pictures at all of the area, so I'm very thankful for the people that are posting photos.
I am getting a little turned around though. Does anyone have like a map or something of the IMP so that we can get an idea of where some of these structures are at? I don't ever recollect seeing the Trader Vic's sign, despite walking around there for hours.
So, I'm a little confused about some other things, too. Was the TV above the food court? I remember seeing the upstairs portion, but never bothered to go up, because it didn't exactly look like it was open to the public. I'm really regretting it now.
I take it that the original Don's building has long since been lost. What stands there now? Or, if it wasn't knocked down, what took over the space? If I remember, the treehouse was close to Kuhio Ave. Was the restaurant near there? I don't recollect seeing anything that could house a restaurant in the area.

A friend of mine was given a few old postcards by his Mum for Christmas this year, one of which was from his Great-Grandma (or something like that) to her sister. She talked about seeing Martin Denny play at DTB's, and sitting near the piano or something like that. It was so cool to see. I'll ask if we can get scans of the postcards and writing.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 2:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I don't ever recollect seeing the Trader Vic's sign, despite walking around there for hours.
So, I'm a little confused about some other things, too. Was the TV above the food court? I remember seeing the upstairs portion, but never bothered to go up, because it didn't exactly look like it was open to the public. I'm really regretting it now.

Yeah...the sign that was posted above was on the upper level. But Trader Vic's itself (as an operating business) wouldn't have been open back during your 2004 visit. I think it closed its doors for good much, much longer ago than that. Maybe even well over 10 years ago? But the building housed some other restaurants and bars after Vic's.

Don't have a map, but as you walk into the Marketplace...you'd walk past the giant banyan tree on the left side of it, hugging the left...and you'd get to the Vic's building. It was a 2 story deal.

In just the short time since my last post, they lobbed off another huge chunk of history:

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 2:25 pm   Permalink

I wasn't displeased with the plans that had been in the papers earlier about the marketplace renovations as it sounded ok..open air kiosks, a sunken hula stage, a stream meandering through and a new food court with open kitchens. But I had thought that was all on hold, but now the food court is closed....hey, I eat there alot! Relatively cheap eats in Waikiki.
I'm not surprised to see the treehouse buildings go as they haven't been used for anything but storage for years apparently.
Well, I don't like to see all the changes but I agree the place has become a bit of a dump and needs a face lift. Unfortunatly the present native political climate isn't too cool on "tikified" designs, so things end up looking generically tropical-Miami.
It will be interesting to see what happens in 2010. The other locations mentioned are actually across the street and I'm not sure about that becoming one massive complex of some kind, but I can definately see them working up something with the Miramar Hotel and the IMP as they are right together.
Interestingly, there was a bit of an uproar here earlier when they originally announced plans to close the market altogether and build something there. They then went back and made plans for a remodeled IMP that was then put on hold.
Time will tell, but I do hope WHATEVER happens they leave it open aired. It's really one of the last places in Waikiki to feel that you are in a bit of a tropical jungle and i would hate to loose that regardless of whatever kind of merchandise is pedaled there.
I think the saddest commentarty of all though is that directly across the street from the marketplace is the busiest, highest volume Cheesecake Factory in the United States. Sad really, but such is life.

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2007-01-24 14:28 ]

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 2:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-24 14:02, PremEx wrote:

Yeah...the sign that was posted above was on the upper level. But Trader Vic's itself (as an operating business) wouldn't have been open back during your 2004 visit. I think it closed its doors for good much, much longer ago than that. Maybe even well over 10 years ago? But the building housed some other restaurants and bars after Vic's.

Okay, that's the spot I'm thinking of. That would explain why I had never seen the sign, or at least the remnants of it. I think you're right about the Vic's being closed long before '04. That's my understanding as well. I think there may have been a bar or nightclub in the TV location when I was there in '04. That sort of scared us off. When the Missus and I were there last October, I think the bar was gone, and the building looked as though it hadn't been used in quite a while.

So does anyone know where Don's was? The landscape has changed quite a bit from the pics that have been posted. I'm curious to know what's there now.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 11:56 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Nui to filslash who met up with me tonight at the Halekulani's House Without A Key...and helped lift my spirits as we enjoyed a few perfect Mai Tais and some great island entertainment!

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-24 23:56, PremEx wrote:
Mahalo Nui to filslash who met up with me tonight at the Halekulani's House Without A Key...and helped lift my spirits as we enjoyed a few perfect Mai Tais and some great island entertainment!

I love that place. The Tropical Itch is also a winner. I think that House Without a Key is easily one of the best bars (well, more of a lounge) on Oahu.

tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 09:24 am   Permalink

We stayed at the Halekulani years ago.
The gift shop has some great cds.
Hard to find local stuff.

At least they did. Check it out.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 3:29 pm   Permalink

I'll be in Waikiki in June guys and I'll head to the House Without a Key and raise a Mai Tai glass to Don and Vic. Damn, this is a depressing thread.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 1:04 pm   Permalink

I'm sitting in the post office in the Waikiki International Marketplace gazing out the window as a tremendous yellow back hoe tears into the deteriorated shell of one of the greatest and most appropriately located Trader Vic's.

Sure it's been a quarter century since my parents first brought me here, I actually remember daily pig roasts in the square here where dozens of Asian vendors now sell identical merchandise from cramped tightly packed kiosks.

Even though the once wondrous Int'l Marketplace now more resembles a Hawaiian Tijuana, I can't shake the feeling I'm watching someone drive a spike through the faintly beating heart of a long forgotten American Dream.

RIP Trader Vic's Waikiki. There's no coming back from this one.

Now you see them...

Now you don't.(The carved doors have vanished during our five days on Kauai.)

How NOT to move a priceless mid-century Chinese oven: With a Back hoe.

A small crowd of onlookers watch the terrible scene in stunned silence and disbelief...

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mo-Eye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-29 3:42 pm   Permalink

I have been watching those doors! I put in a dozen calls trying to find out who to talk to about saving them. The people who run the market said they already handed over control of the whole place to the demo people, so they couldn't help. Most of the demo guys didn't speak English, so they weren't much help either. I talked to one of the head guys a couple times, and he was suppose to get back to me... then all of a sudden, they're gone!

At least my calls may have saved them from the bulldozer... but I should have just stole them myself when I had the chance!

View Profile of Mo-Eye Send a personal message to Mo-Eye  Goto the website of Mo-Eye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation