FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)
flynny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 11:28 pm   Permalink

Great design Finky, love the piece. I'll have to get some Basswood to try.
Regards
Flynny

View Profile of flynny Send a personal message to flynny  Email flynny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 12:03 am   Permalink

Beautiful stuff, man. Nice idea.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 02:56 am   Permalink

Got Halon?

Da Fink is burnin!

The Hibiscus Moai and surfboard are crazy goodness Fink!

Keep em comin bro!

Mahalo

McTiki

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 08:31 am   Permalink

Hewey, Ben, Duddy, Flynny, Benella, McTiki, thank you all for the terrific feedback!
I finished the board up last night:

Here it is with a resin Moai I painted last night too:

I have to get back to the garage now, I've neglected things in there lately...

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 10:38 am   Permalink

well done, looks great!
hey how do those resin molds work?

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 4:37 pm   Permalink

That board is very cool! Basswood stains so nice - it almost gives the stain a 2-tone look. Keep em comin.

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 5:44 pm   Permalink

Duddy, the mold is actually made of silicone rubber. They work great for making replicas. There is a huge how-to thread in Creating Tiki that gives a step-by-step on resin casing. Is there something specific you wanted to ask?

AlohaStation, I couln't believe how well the basswood carved and took the stain. It almost felt like cheating.

Thanks again for the props!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-30 01:56 am   Permalink

I saw the Surfboard in person and it Really looks GREAT, Nice design Finky, it was a nice surprise.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-30 05:21 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben! Check out the painted versions here: Resin Surfboads
I'll talk to you later this morning.

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-31 5:30 pm   Permalink

Here's a rather crappy pic of a pendant stand I finished today. It was made mostly from supplies donated from Benzart. Thanks Ben!

I've added my octopus to the old resin portfolio today. It turned out a lot better than I thought. It's pretty tricky to cast though, because there are so many places for air to get trapped.

Mahalo!

Bowana
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-31 8:52 pm   Permalink

The O'pus friggin' rocks, Fink. That's a resin casting, right? What in the world did you color it with? Resin tint, or is it painted?

Nice work, bruddah!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

View Profile of Bowana Send a personal message to Bowana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 04:06 am   Permalink

Thanks TikiDav! It's hand-painted. I haven't experimented yet with tints, but I like to use primer first underneith the paint. You can get some real deep looking colors.

Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 10:01 am   Permalink

well done. im sure everyone is gonna want one of those. i still cant believe how much detail got put into that octopus, it is unreal.
how many of those are you making>?

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-01 7:44 pm   Permalink

Hey Finky, I Really love that bamboo stand you built, it Really came out Awesome. The Octopus really looks great too.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 05:11 am   Permalink

Mahalo Duddy! Yeah, the o'pus was fun to carve, but the casts are tricky. I didn't think of doing a limited run, I'm just making them to order, assuming anybody wants one. Your carvings are really stepping up lately! Keep on carving.

Thanks Ben! I'm pretty happy with the stand too. I just wish I was a little more thoughtful of where I placed the pegs. The wood on the base is beautiful. You thought maybe it was pine? It seems pretty heavy, but it cut pretty easily.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation