FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 4:52 pm   Permalink

Yeah, I Love this fat little bastard too, he looks so Neat and Happy Excellent stuff Finky!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 4:55 pm   Permalink

Get in my Belly!! The Fat Bastard Tang rocks!

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 5:06 pm   Permalink

Thanks guys!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 6:04 pm   Permalink

Nice tubby guy you got there mate

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-09 6:34 pm   Permalink

I don't know if this is really a Hei-Tiki or not, but I started this earlier today. I thought I was finished with it, but when I took it out of it's tea-bath a million little flaws showed up! I'm going to leave him alone tonight and try to clean him up in the morning.

Thanks for looking!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 06:07 am   Permalink

He looks great Finky. I'd say he is Hei-Tiki for sure. There were so many different versions and renditions of the form that it's pretty much an "anything goes" deal as with the Moai or any other tiki. But then again, I am no expert on the Hei-Tiki.
Stil,,Nice one!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-10 07:38 am   Permalink

Hey Finkman! I agree with Benz - certainly it's hei tiki, if I can call my crap that. The octopus is really nice with the stain.

"Chase" is a great name for a cat too! I hope you find employment soon (Unless, of course, unemployed is what you want!).

Nice work... keep it up.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-10 07:59 am   Permalink

Thanks Ben and Tikigap! I was real unsure of the markings I put on that Hei Tiki. I finished him up first and started to stain him, but he looked so plain that I had to draw something up on him. He's OK, but today I'll start something new. If my new cup burrs ever arrive I'll start finishing up that octopus. It doesn't have any stain on it yet, the color you see is because the bone was smoked before I carved it. After It gets sanded, polished and stained it will look real sweet.

Chase is the coolest cat that has ever lived. I would get rid of my kids before I'd get rid of him. In fact, he's been with me longer than most of them!

Ben, what do you use to sand low, flat areas like the space between the legs on the hei tiki I just did? I'm pulling my hair out on this one. (what little I have left!)

Thanks everyone!

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 5:28 pm   Permalink

Here's something new I tried today. The carving itself wasn't too difficult, but the inlay sucked. Don't ever ask me to do it again. Seriously.

The three I still have. The octopus is still waiting to be finished.

Thanks!

hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 5:35 pm   Permalink

The hei tiki is good, but that sword fish is awesome man! Great pose, inlays well planned, well executed etc.

Octopus, sowrdfish - where you getting these crazy ideas from man?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 5:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-11 17:35, hewey wrote:

Octopus, sowrdfish - where you getting these crazy ideas from man?

I think we could all guess!

The marlin carving is great, looks like a Guy Harvey pose.

Why wouldn't you do another inlay? I haven't tried yet, but could assume fitting them is difficult.

JP

JP

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 5:57 pm   Permalink

Thanks Hewey! The fish I just did on my own, but I started the octopus because you, Jentiki, and Gman told me too!
Thanks JohnnyP! You're right, it's actualy a marlin and not a sword fish, so I changed the topic name. Of course I'll do an inlay again...someday. If you have any ideas on how to make it easy though, I'm all ears because it's a pain in the butt, and only sort of worked out!

GMAN
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 6:13 pm   Permalink

NO more secrets for you! You're getting too good! You are now officially cut off!

Sweet billfish. I likee!

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

View Profile of GMAN Send a personal message to GMAN      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-11 8:51 pm   Permalink

No, pleeeeeeaaase don't cut me off! At least not until you've shown me how and the hell you guys sand your stuff.

Thanks Gman, I owe it all you you!

Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-12 01:47 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-10 07:59, finkdaddy wrote:
I was real unsure of the markings I put on that Hei Tiki.

Hey Finkdaddy. Most definately a Hei-tiki!
Benz is right; there have been 100's of versions/variations (even in pre-contact times) and has virtually become public property in NZ as long as a little 'sensitivity' is shown...

I like some of the stylisation you have done; contemporary Maori art can be very far removed from the Old Stuff, but there are often small elements of great significance that are incorporated to remain 'authentic'.

Your surface patterning is nice, although as above I would suggest finding out what some of the tattoo designs denote. I feel the same of all indigenous cultures we emulate, not just Maori...

*To get into those leg-holes etc when sanding, fix the piece in a small benchvice & cut small strips of sandpaper (say, 3 x 1/2"). Done that? Right, fold the strips lengthwise in half, or preferably in thirds - basically to increase the strength & to have sanding surface on both sides. Hope Im making sence..? Feed the strip through the hole & work back & forth at different angles, youll get the hang of it. Its actually quite a nice/relaxing process...

Hope this helps.

Tama

*Oh yeah; that marlin is the bomb! Youve somehow captured a lot of movement; very 'alive'

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation