FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Some new photoshop pics (with moai!)
kingstiedye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-14 11:39 am   Permalink

outstanding work fred! the colors, shapes and execution are all first rate.

View Profile of kingstiedye Send a personal message to kingstiedye  Goto the website of kingstiedye     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-10-14 11:41 am   Permalink

That Hula girl totally sucks. You should get rid of it by sending it to GROG.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-14 5:55 pm   Permalink

Conga, we're all nuts trying to do this tiki thing. Now go drink some more!

Sebastian, thanks. It took a lot of pencil work before I got it right.

Jen, thanks again. I'm glad you like your pieces.

Benella, mahalo!

Hewey, curves is where it's at mate! The next one will be even curvier.

Benzart! None of it would happen without everything you've taught me. Not just in actual technique, but in frame of mind too; the willingness to see a project through with the highest quality possible. Thank you my friend.

Bullet, thanks man. It means a lot coming from a true collector like yourself.

Grog, you're right. In fact, it sucks so bad I already sent it across the country and began a new one!

Tonight I began the next piece. I'm going to be doing a short series with the same girl doing various different things. I'll let each one be a surprise as they move along.

Here is phase one of girl two:

Thanks again!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JohnnyP
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-14 7:08 pm   Permalink

This whole concept is absolutely stunning. Looking forward to this one.

View Profile of JohnnyP Send a personal message to JohnnyP  Email JohnnyP Goto the website of JohnnyP     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-15 7:19 pm   Permalink

Thanks JohnnyP!

Here's where I finished up tonight.

Lot's more to come!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG

Posted: 2007-10-16 12:20 am   Permalink

This ones starting off pretty sucky, too. If it ends up as sucky as the other one, you may have to send it away to GROG, since you already disposed of the other one.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
benella
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-16 01:22 am   Permalink

Ouch, she's going to be a killer.
What kind of wood is that ?

Waiting patiently for next pix.

Ben.

View Profile of benella Send a personal message to benella  Goto the website of benella     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robin
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-16 07:32 am   Permalink

I'm really enjoying the progress of these pieces. Totally awesome designs and work!

View Profile of Robin Send a personal message to Robin  Email Robin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-16 09:20 am   Permalink

Definitely looking forward to the whole series Finky, you Really have a beautiful concept going here, Congrats on working it out. That red wood looks like Makore, a beautiful hard wood similar to Mahogany. Not sure about the white wood.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-16 11:15 am   Permalink

Luv the new hula girl already. The 1st one was killer! The skull belt is really awesome!!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-16 11:19 am   Permalink

Just curious - what kind of glue is holding all the pieces of the hula girl together?

thanks!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-16 2:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone!

Ben, the dark wood is purple heart. For some reason in the pic it just lost it purpleness. The lighter wood is yellow cedar from Alaska, which if I remember correctly, I got from you a while ago. It's real nice for carving. It's nice and soft, but the grain is very, very tight so it has a good amount of strength. The purple heart is hard as hell, but it looks great when it's polished up.

BigT, I used carpenters glue to piece it all together, but I think a good amount of strength came from the multi coats of poly I added. It looks fragile, but it came out surprisingly solid.

Another update pic later.

Haole Kat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-16 3:45 pm   Permalink

Fred - Wow. This is a fantastic idea for a series. VERY creative and well executed. You're getting better all the time! I really look forward to seeing her complete!

Josh

View Profile of Haole Kat Send a personal message to Haole Kat  Email Haole Kat Goto the website of Haole Kat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-10-16 4:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks Josh, here's one for you...

Here's where I ended up tonight. The body is cherry and the fretboard is makore. I don't know if you can tell in the pic, but there is a tiny red hibiscus flower on the body. Next I'll have to make some arms for her to play it with!

Tahitiki

Posted: 2007-10-16 6:59 pm   Permalink

Man, this is so cool, I love the uke.

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation