FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music robert drasnin's voodoo 2
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
robert drasnin's voodoo 2
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-17 12:12 am   Permalink

Voodoo 2 Recording Underway!

Prerecording setup was started today, Friday, Feb 17th for the recording of Robert Drasnin's "Voodoo 2". The special guests will arrive tomorrow (Saturday) to watch the actuall recording. They will sit in the room where the performance is being recorded. Here are a few pix of those involved setting up the mics in the room where Voodoo 2 will be recorded.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-17 7:46 pm   Permalink

This looks all sooo cool.

Hope ya'll have an enchanting eve tonight!!!

History in the making?!?

Rock on!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 12:39 am   Permalink

What an exciting event!

Truly history in the making.

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 09:13 am   Permalink

Definately a historic recording! I've got some photos from the 1st day of recording and some great video of the first day. I'll get those posted in the next few days. The setup was Friday, the recordings are Saturday & Sunday, maybe Monday. Robert Drasnin has hired some of of LA's top session players to perform on this.

I can say this, yesterday (Saturday 17th), we got to hear 4 of the Voodoo 2 compositions. I have to say, they are wonderful. Drasnin has kept a clear connection to the first Voodoo recording with these songs. Judging from the first set of tunes recorded, you should be able to play Voodoo and Voodoo 2 back to back without loosing any continuity. I'm about to head over for th Sunday session! I'll keep everyone posted.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 09:28 am   Permalink

Thanks for sharing the studio pictures - I wish I could be there.

I am curious - with the audience sitting in the same room as the musicians, what efforts are made to prevent incidental noises (coughing, the rustlings of clothing, ice tinkling in the cocktails!, etc) from appearing on the recording? Are coughers banished from the studio? Are those noises removed by studio technicians afterwards?

Are the audience members all wearing tiki shirts? How about the musicians?

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 10:51 am   Permalink

We got to sit in on the first day of recording, and are about to head back for day two. I feel so honored to be able to sit in on something like this -- can you imagine? A new Exotica album by one of the original greats? It's surreal and wonderful.

Those of us in the studio know to be totally quiet and still. No movin' allowed, and definitely no coughing. If we want to be more wiggly, we have the option of going over to the control booth area or the hall just outside, but so far everyone has opted to stay with the musicians.

Some of the spectators are dressed up tiki, and the vocalist was wearing a very lovely dress and lei yesterday. The music, though, needs no help setting the mood -- it's fantastic stuff. Mr. Drasnin has been so kind to let us join him for this, and it's a thrill to see him so happy about this album.

The musicians are top notch -- sometimes they have to practice just a short bit of a song, and all dozen or so of them are able to just pick right up in the middle of a song, just like dropping a needle on a record. It's neat to be able to see visually exactly where the harp comes in, and where the cello comes in. There's a lot of working out details before each song gets recorded -- the musicians work out their questions about minor details about the song, and some practice run-throughs are done, and then several takes of recording are done.

The amount of coordinating that has to happen is astounding... not really surprising, I guess, but still awe-inspiring to see it actually happening. So many musicians are playing on this -- flute, cello, harp, Mr. Drasin's sax, vocals, piano, synthesizer, marimba, vibraphone, drums, bass, and two guys handling various other percussion -- and each one of them has several different ways they can approach playing it, and it all has to get worked out so that it sounds good together, and stays true to Mr. Drasnin's vision, which means a bit of trial and error. These musicans are seasoned professionals at doing just this sort of work, so it goes pretty quickly. For some of these songs, this is the first time Mr. Drasnin is getting to actually hear them come to life in full orchestral form -- until now, they've lived in his head, and on his sheet music.

You're all going to love this album, and those of you who are going to be at Hukilau will get chills hearing it performed live.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-18 2:51 pm   Permalink

I LOVE the first voodoo LP.
when you said Sax, and synthesiser, my jax about hit the floor.
I dont recall much sax and synth in original 50's 60's exotica,
hope that doesnt detract too much.

Im crossing my fingers on this one, and hope its really good.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-18 9:09 pm   Permalink

Humu...your post was just wonderful....brought tears to my eyes. How exciting to be there in life to see just exactly when every instrument comes into play and really feel the music live. Pretty exciting for Mr Drasnin too...like you say finally hearing his artistic genius in full regalia. I look forward to hearing more about the recording sessions....and am looking forward to the CD. Music like this helps life have meaning.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 8:40 pm   Permalink

Humuhumu,
An excellent description of the sessions! By the way - good to see you and Handford at the recording! And for those worried about the instrumentation, I must say, these songs are lush and pure exotica...in the traditional old-school style. One of the most exciting things about witnessing this recording is that it is a REAL old-school exotica - done with acoustic instruments, recorded live. While I must say, I absolutely love the ambiant-chill sounds of newer exotica, this is THE original exotica. I can't repeat this loud enough, those who love the original "Voodoo" will be completely satisfied and fall in love completely with "Voodoo 2". It met and exceeded my expectations while listening to the compositions.

Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 9:00 pm   Permalink

Pictures of the actual Saturday and Sunday recording sessions!

Robert Drasnin warming up before the session

Marimbas during a take

RD conducting

RD, the vocalist and Voodoo 2 producer Skip Heller

RD on clarinet during a song take

A view from the stage behind the vibes and marimba - Mrs. Drasnin in the back row watching.

Here is a panarama of the entire stage with all the musicians-
Back row from left: percussionists 1 & 2, drums, acoustic bass, piano, synthesiszer, vibes & marimba
front from left: harp, cello, flute (can't really see in this pic) and RD conducting.

RD working through some troublesome parts with the musicians between takes.

tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 11:29 pm   Permalink

Just got home from LA!

Mark, Humu, and everyone else, thanks for posting all weekend, and keeping everyone in the loop.

I have tons o' pics that I will post, but I won't be able to get to it until Wednesday.

I'll write up a lil' production diary too, that I will post.

Here are a few cool facts - the marimba player is DJ Bonebrake from the punk band X. The bass player was on all of the 1970s-era Tom Waits albums. The piano player is THE top session player in LA - he has been on countless records and film scores. The synthesizer mentioned above should not be viewed as a sort of techno-electronic-Moog sort fo thing; rather it was used for things like Rhodes piano and for organ types of sounds. And for boo-bams!

The main recording was done Saturday and Sunday. Bob is going to add some extra flute, sax, and clarinet parts this week. Then Bob, Skip, and Phillipe (the engineer) are going to edit and mix. That will take about a week. They'll take a few days off before mixing to clear their heads and approach the mixes with a fresh persepctive. Should be completely done some time next week.

None of the Tc-ers were in the studio late on Saturday when the vocalist returned to do more parts. There is a lyric to the song Morrea Moonbeams. The melody is beautiful. This one is going to slay you guys. Knocked me on my ass hearig it recorded. And Alice Berry, if you're out there, you are going to adore singing this one at Hukilau!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 05:29 am   Permalink

Nice shots and diaries.
Mahalo for posting this landmark event.

You can almost see Drasnin getting younger, photo by photo.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 12:16 pm   Permalink

Drasnin conducting.

The man.

DJ Bonebrake.

Jim the bass player and Peggy the cellist.

From the control room.

The festively attired Stephanie returned on day 2 for more voals, including Moorean Moonbeams, which has a lyric!

Not sure who these two are...
Anyone know?

Hanford, Humuhumu, Jeff Chenault, and Jeff's dad at the sessions.

"must... update... web... sites...."

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 08:49 am   Permalink

It was truly a pleasure to be at the sessions with you all, especially Jeff, James, Humuhumu and Hanford!

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Here are a few cool facts - the marimba player is DJ Bonebrake from the punk band X.

DJ Bonebrake on the new Robert Drasnin album...that's just too awesome for words...

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation