FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food In search of: Black Magic!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
In search of: Black Magic!
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-11 4:07 pm   Permalink

Thanks...I'm going to give this a try when I get home. I have all the ingredients but the Herbsaint which I'll pick up after work. I have Pernod.

I'm not going to blend the coffee liquor into the mix however. I recall tasting the coffee liq. on the bottom, so I'll pour it in afterwards, or use a straw or something to shoot it down to the bottom.

Mahalo!

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 08:50 am   Permalink

In addition to the Dark Magic, also try Jeff Berry's Kiliki Kooler, his tribute to the Mai-Kai's Black Magic and named after Tiki Kiliki. He first served it at the 2007 (if I recall right) Hukilau. Recipe is in his Remixed book.

Another option to coffee syrup is to
make a coffee liqueur, which will also last a lot longer on the shelf.

Craig, you've changed your recipe considerably since I first saw it. My notes have Licor 43 for the vanilla, no pineapple juice, etc. I'll have to try your newer one.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 09:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-11 13:28, Melintur wrote:
Black Magic I don't have.

However, you might like to try my "Dark Magic," currently on the menu at Thatch, here in Portland:

Dark Magic
----------
1 oz lime juice
1/2 oz pineapple juice
1/2 oz coffee syrup
1/4 oz passion fruit syrup
1/4 oz vanilla syrup
2 oz Coruba
dash bitters
eight drops Herbsaint (pernod if you must)

Shake with 6oz crushed ice and pour into Hurricane glass or Snifter, garnish w/ mint and lime wheel(s).

(you can also pulse in 5-6 one second burst in a blender with 6oz ice)

BK's version:
3 oz Pineapple Juice
3/4 oz Hiram Walker Coffee Brandy
1/3 oz Lemon Juice
1 1/2 oz Myer's
1 oz Cuatrenta Y Tres
Lemon Zest garnish

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 4:00 pm   Permalink

GatorRob -- thanks, I'm going to check it out the recipe.
Swanky, I'm gonna try you're version as well.

I made the drink last night, I changed a few things, added more pineapple juice, used Vanilla Schnapps and tried it with Kraken spiced rum and Coruba. I was a bit heavy handed on with the Herbsaint, I've got to get a dropper...

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-13 4:01 pm   Permalink

Oh...I forgot I got that new Ninja Blender for Xmas -- it chopped up the ice like snow....

So I put the TV Kona Coffee Liq. on the bottom, added the snow ice and then poured the other ingredients in.

GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 09:33 am   Permalink

Snow ice is not ideal. It will melt rapidly, over-diluting your drink. You will be much better off with crushed ice, which are larger in size.

Also, of all the Black Magics I've had at the Mai-Kai, I don't believe I've ever seen one layered with the coffee liqueur on the bottom. You might like it that way though, but it seems to me your straw is going to hit nothing but coffee liqueur for the first few sips, that is if it will actually layer like that.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 1:00 pm   Permalink

Gator, I tried mixing it a couple of ways:

Preference Order:

1) Coffee Liq. bottom, packed in the "snow ice" poured shaken ingredients slowly over --it worked.
2) Blended all together--it worked as well.
3) Coffee Liq. on bottom, slightly chopped ice, poured shaken ingredients over--work as well, but the coffee liq. did get mixed in a bit.
4) Coffee Liq. on bottom, cubed ice, poured shaken ingredients over -- didn't work so well as the coffee got really blended into the mixture, so it was equivalent to #2.

I like the "hit" of coffee you get from the staw. I made a couple of adjustments in quality of the ingredients. I made more last night...my boyfriend and I woke up in the middle of the night with dehydration cramps--next time we hydrate.

Mahalo!

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-14 8:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-05-14 13:00, CheekyGirl wrote:
...my boyfriend and I woke up in the middle of the night with dehydration cramps--next time we hydrate.

Yeah, know what you mean..., I hate it when that happens! Need to make some concentrated electrolyte syrup, to add to drinks, on busy nights.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Melintur
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-17 09:12 am   Permalink

Gator,

Yeah, I was initially influenced by MaiKai's DM and by Jeff's Drink he made for TK at 2006 Hukilau.

In the past four years however, I've tinkered with it here and there more towards my own mixing aesthetic.

Specifically I've been really into the Lime/Pineapple/Coffee flavor combination.
TIKI KON 2012: Ten Year Tour! AUG 3-5, 2012: Portland, OR

View Profile of Melintur Send a personal message to Melintur  Email Melintur Goto the website of Melintur ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-20 5:52 pm   Permalink

I agree...I really like the subtle pop that the anise flavor adds...yummy!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-06-21 09:20 am   Permalink

Fresh from the Mai-Kai, I made "BK's Black Magic" Saturday night. I thought the notes were right, but some played too loud. The Mai-Kai drink is pretty subtle. So I re-jiggered his recipe and handed my version around the room to all people who had just had a Mai-Kai version a week ago. All agreed that I had it right.

I need to get out to the bar and double check what I wrote down. I am 99% sure I recall it. It is posted on
The Grogalizer as "Swanky's Magic". Open the comments for the recipe.

I used Trader Tiki's cinnamon infused syrup. It is very strong.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-19 4:36 pm   Permalink

Swanky,

I did a side-by-side comparison of "BK's Black Magic" and "Swanky's Magic" (Grogalizer rating and comments coming soon). Then I went down to the Mai-Kai for the real deal. The verdict? I have to give you guys props for a valiant effort but I'm afraid you're both missing some key elements. The first giveaway is the color: The inviting reddish hue of the original is nowhere to be found in the brownish drinks I made following your recipes.

To my tastebuds, BK comes the closest but I think it's way too heavy on the Cuatrenta Y Tres. I'd cut back on that. In both drinks, the use of the coffee brandy seems to be on the mark but I'm almost certain you're both missing another juice or rum or both. And it's highly likely the Mai-Kai is using an impossible-to-duplicate syrup or spice.

However, let me again compliment you both on the effort and I'm definitely keeping these recipes on file for those nights when I'm hankering for a Black Magic (or Mutiny or Hukilau) and I need the closest approximation.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-19 8:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-07-19 16:36, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
...And it's highly likely the Mai-Kai is using an impossible-to-duplicate syrup or spice.

Nope, not that impossible-to-duplicate. Its Don's #7.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-20 12:17 pm   Permalink

Wish I had the Mai-Kai version in hand to dwell on and compare. We had a week to wait and try to match our memories instead.

So, for those hours and hours away from the Mai-Kai...

I am not sure about the Coffee Brandy myself. There is a syrupy sort of finish on to it that bothers me. One night I will experiment more...

Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-07-23 11:00 am   Permalink

Chip/Andy, you might be right but have the exact ingredients of Don's #7 been officialy documented?

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation