FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vic's(Beverly Hills)fate sealed? Not if we can help it!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Vic's(Beverly Hills)fate sealed? Not if we can help it!
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-24 11:46 pm   Permalink

Please try and attend the on line meeting for Trader Vic's Beverly Hills on Friday at 7PM PST at the Velocity Cafe at 2127 Lincoln Blvd, Santa Monica, California from 6PM to 9PM PST either in person or online.
We will be in Tiki Shout and PM's for Tiki Central during that time for Q&A regarding a plan of action. Hope to see you all there.

Tim Ojaitimo

Life is a state of mind

[

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-24 23:48 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2007-01-25 01:26 am   Permalink

I think this is a pretty cool idea to use Shout for this! Hopefully we'll have a great turnout and people from all over the world who can't be there in person can chime in and have their voices (or text!) heard. It's a pretty cool way to use the internet to show your support.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 03:57 am   Permalink

Ohana,

This is really merging into a very proactive effort. Preservation advocacy is the only way to save the physical elements of our past that really mean something. The average community official has hard time thinking of mid-century architecture as historic. Mainly because a lot of them were around when they the buildings were constructed. This is a factor that is debated in many states, and a tactic developers use to destroy them. Many preservation offices are mounting efforts to promote awareness. The key to landmark status is the building should be at least 50 years old or a unique (rare) example of a particular building style,a product of a master builder, or a unique defining element of the community in which it resides. This designation is not only for a building's exterior elements, it works for historic interiors as well. George Washington may not have slept here but Mid-Century (Googie) architecture still defines American cultural history.

Contacting HPAC (Historic Preservation Action Committee) is another option for this effort. This a political lobbying group that promotes historic preservation issues on the state and federal level. This information is on-line, google it. They are very active here in the Eastern U.S. Georgia HPAC is very active and gaining support daily.

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
drmikela

Posted: 2007-01-25 3:59 pm   Permalink

Trader Vics' corporate parent is currently scouting other locations in Los Angeles to move the legendary restaurant. Details here:

http://www.franklinavenue.blogspot.com/2007/01/exclusive-trader-vics-will-look-for.html

View Profile of drmikela Send a personal message to drmikela  Email drmikela Goto the website of drmikela     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 7:57 pm   Permalink

The reason the corporate kingpins operate the way they do is because they cannot see past the end of the almighty dollar. They convince themselves that their actions are for the betterment of all mankind when actually their actions are for the betterment of themselves. We who are happy with the way things are become "sentimentalists." Hell, the sentimentalists are the regulars that kept the place afloat all these years. I challenge Trader Vic's to create a venue that truly compares to Victor's original design....they can't do it. Corporations too big, too many cooks in the kitchen...They just want to expend their energy trying to convince you that they can. Hype Hype Hype. Like I mentioned before, if this fight to keep the landmark fails (lets give it a good one), use the failure to take stock in what is left, and start today working with the California Preservation Officer to devise a plan to save them. You'll be glad that you did. (I hate one-sided news articles...)

Forum Saturday still on, right?

Swamp

[ This Message was edited by: Swamp Tiki 2007-01-25 19:58 ]

View Profile of Swamp Tiki Send a personal message to Swamp Tiki  Email Swamp Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 8:34 pm   Permalink

If you mean the in person / online Velocity Cafe pow-wow, that's Friday (tomorrow) night at 7:00pm.

If this is going to be a weekly war council, let's learn from each other if Trader Vic's has yet been contacted by anyone posting here, and see if we can get an official representative to join us, yes?

The article (blog link) prior suggests TV's may be looking for someplace else in town to relocate. Let's discuss getting the veracity of this nailed down: if it's true, let's get some particulars; if it's a smokescreen, let's not let it trip up our timely action.

War canoe, or moving van; whatever it takes to save the joint from oblivion (and vultures).

Cheers and aloha,
SOK
www.yoyoisland.com

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-25 10:09 pm   Permalink

My choice for a new Trader Vics would be where there is a lot of foot traffic, such as on Hollywood Blvd., or Universal City Walk.

However, that is so far down the line, and Trader Vics has its own real estate agents, who will look out for their interests.

The trick is to decide whether the Waldorf A will have a Trader Vics, just as The Plaza had a tiki restaurant

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stuff-o-rama
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 9:20 pm   Permalink

I didn't get home in time to join in...

How did the meeting go? Any ideas?

View Profile of stuff-o-rama Send a personal message to stuff-o-rama  Goto the website of stuff-o-rama     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-26 11:43 pm   Permalink

I think the meeting went well. I took notes and sent them to Ojaitimo who will edit and post them. It is good to know that the people that love tiki can be proactive for a cause that helps preserve important history in the world.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-27 12:27 am   Permalink

Big thanks to everyone who attended the meeting Friday evening. Good turnout, it was a new experience for many of us and although it got off to a slow start I think we ended up with a good plan that we will outline in "TC to save TV" which was suggested by Hiltiki We will be posting the minutes over the weekend.

Life is a state of mind

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-01-27 01:09 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-27 12:33 am   Permalink

I'm really sorry i missed this meet. I was planning to attend (@ the cafe), but I have had 2 deaths in the family(both grandmothers) in the past 2 months. There has been strain in my household since,that I've had to be the backbone so-to-speak. It was expected, so it hasn't been too hard on me yet. Anyhow, I'm looking foward to the "clif-notes" version(remember those?)lol, of what was brought up in the meeting, and I'll try to help in any way I can. I don't want to be one of those people sitting around and not doing anything to "prevent" the demolitions of mid century design & architecture. I also do not like talking past tense about great vintage locations of yesterday gone. Count me in, and we'll try to save them one at a time!

Time for some "Mid-Centurions" fight for revival & recongnition!

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-01-27 01:29 am   Permalink

This is really bad news. I hope TV will open a new place nearby.

EDIT: Not my truck! I should have cropped that out.

[ This Message was edited by: tikigap 2007-01-27 01:30 ]

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 7:51 pm   Permalink

Son of Kelbo is working on a on line draft with Swamp Tiki's assistance. There is a new post in "TC to save TV" it has info I pulled from our friends at Lotta Living's forum.

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-02 08:28 am   Permalink

We are having another Tiki Shout meeting this evening at 7PM Pacific Standard Time to plan for February 17th Saturday at Trader Vic's. We are aware that this may be too expensive so we are trying to arrange refreshments like coffee and soft drinks for those who don't wish to order food and drinks. We will try to get a Tiki Central discount as well for that day.

Tim

Life is a state of mind

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-02 08:29 ]

Tiki Ham
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-02 6:12 pm   Permalink

Not to sound like a devils advocate.. But whats Trader Vics position on this??

If its prime real estate and vics owns the building, Im sure they are getting a huge payout..
And, Im sure the stuff inside wont be destroyed, just moved...

I mean yeah, we all have "sentimental" attachment to things.. the TV in San Franc whene I spent probably 10 or my first 15 borthdays closed years ago... It sucked but things just happen...

Im just saying that getting it registered as a "historic location" or anything in the like might not even be what TV wants..

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Ham 2007-02-02 18:13 ]

View Profile of Tiki Ham Send a personal message to Tiki Ham      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation