FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vic's(Beverly Hills)fate sealed? Not if we can help it!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Trader Vic's(Beverly Hills)fate sealed? Not if we can help it!
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 07:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-23 00:57, Koolau wrote:
I'm not so sure about the needless consumption, but count me in for the prick waving!

I must say, that IS funny. Okay you're counted in.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 07:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-22 23:14, christiki295 wrote:
Time to hit Trader Vics Lounge while it is still there.
Good times last week when I was there.

I wonder what is going to happen to that enourmously tall TV tiki?

Whoa, who said the Trader Vic's Lounge is closing? Christiki unless you heard that while you were there last week then you have just started a rumor for no reason. The hotel isn't being torn down, The Robinsons-May building, the parking lot and the corner where the old Trader Vic's was will be gone but the hotel will stay pretty much the same. It looks like there will a ballot measure to try and overturn the city council's approval. I think that when Grandpa Richguy realizes that his unobstructed view of the Hollywood Hills will have a high rise blocking it filled with people looking into his yard he'll vote no.

I also think that the big Tiki and even the A-frame entryway still belong to Trader Vic's and maybe they'd be moved to the downtown LA location if that happens. I hope there is a way to remove the cement images etched on the walls of the old Vic's. It would suck to see them smashed.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:08 am   Permalink

Lets Cross our fingers for the downtown location to get some of the inside and outside decor from the BH location.

yeah what's up with saying that the Lounge will close?
when the article said nothing about the hotel closing.

sheeeesh.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:23 am   Permalink

How would it stay, if that whole city block will be razed? This project is a complete redo from the ground up. 1955 Welton Beckett built Hilton Hotel bye bye, comprendo?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:44 am   Permalink

"What's more, the council is expected Tuesday to approve an ambitious $500-million proposal by the Beverly Hilton to add condos and the West Coast's first Waldorf-Astoria Hotel to the mid-century Hilton's fabled site." I take that to mean like I posted earlier the removal of the Robinson's-May building and the huge parking lot but not completely raze the existing hotel.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 10:47 am   Permalink

well either way, I have been thinking about planning a huge TC get together at the TV's lounge.
on a sat. or sun afternoon, before all the snooty, BH's type people show up at night.

sound cool?
when would be good.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-23 11:01 am   Permalink

Hmmm, that WOULD be better news, indeed! I was sure I had heard it would be a Las Vegas style out with the old/in with the new complete knock down...with that kinda money involved. Doubt the murals will stay, though.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderJohn
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-04-23 12:17 pm   Permalink

Trader Vic's Downtown LA, News coming soon..........

View Profile of TraderJohn Send a personal message to TraderJohn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-05-15 3:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-23 07:50, Bora Boris wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-04-22 23:14, christiki295 wrote:
Time to hit Trader Vics Lounge while it is still there.
Good times last week when I was there.

I wonder what is going to happen to that enourmously tall TV tiki?

Whoa, who said the Trader Vic's Lounge is closing? Christiki unless you heard that while you were there last week then you have just started a rumor for no reason. The hotel isn't being torn down, The Robinsons-May building, the parking lot and the corner where the old Trader Vic's was will be gone but the hotel will stay pretty much the same. It looks like there will a ballot measure to try and overturn the city council's approval. I think that when Grandpa Richguy realizes that his unobstructed view of the Hollywood Hills will have a high rise blocking it filled with people looking into his yard he'll vote no.

I also think that the big Tiki and even the A-frame entryway still belong to Trader Vic's and maybe they'd be moved to the downtown LA location if that happens. I hope there is a way to remove the cement images etched on the walls of the old Vic's. It would suck to see them smashed.

I hope you are right about the big Tiki and the A-frame entryway.

I was under the impression that the Beverly Hilton would be demolished as that space was going to part of the Waldorf Astoria, which would be built along the SaMo Wilshire corner.

I hope the ballot initiative can turn the tide against the billion dollar project.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-07 01:56 am   Permalink

Bump

Benny,
If you read this, please give LA Trader Vic's whatever you can. Thank
you!

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-16 10:51 pm   Permalink

Ironically, even though Trader Vics @ LA Live is due to open shortly, the development plans at Wilshire & Santa Monica seem to be in shambles.

In 2007, the planning and resources management firm Jones & Stokes Associates determined that the place that launched decentralized shopping in America was eligible for the California Register of significant sites. But the fate of 9900 Wilshire was already in the hands of developers.

First, there was New Pacific Realty, which paid Getty Center architect Richard Meier to design a green hotel and condo complex with private and public gardens. New Pacific, which paid $33.5 million for the site, issued a statement that said its development, requiring the demolition of the historic 1952 department store, would reflect "the standards and values of Beverly Hills throughout the world," according to a story in The Times.

Next up were Christian and Nicholas Candy, thirtysomething British developers of condos for the Euro rich. They picked up the property and Meier's plans for $500 million from New Pacific. The brothers' Iceland banking partner collapsed in the global financial crisis, and a request this week for Candy & Candy to update The Times on the future of the development went unanswered. Zoning variances and permits, however, supported by enthusiastic city officials, authorize construction to begin after a nearby school is out.

LA Times 3/14/09, Courtesy of Nichols via Lottaliving

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 09:16 am   Permalink

Benny and the bouncers have gutted her for NOTHING.

Their grand scheme to Manhattanize Beverly Hills is on the rocks, and all they've accomplished is the destruction of a treasured destination, an irreplaceable icon of vintage tiki-era culture, and a historical landmark where we once could dwell among the spirits of LA's most luminous, refined, and storied gentry.

Still, no one can take away the fine memories, and so without wishing to appear too cruel, it is my great wish that those involved in the desctruction of TV's BH -- and all people who demolish other peoples' special places to serve their own grotesquely greedy whims -- were deeply invested with Bernie Madoff.

Happy St. Pat's Day and Aloha and Mahalo to the Fighters who stood up for her, not so long ago.

SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 09:23 am   Permalink

Well said Son-of-Kelbo!

Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 09:59 am   Permalink

OK Benny, time to make this right. Restore the Trader Vic's to what is once was. The Echelon is sitting unfinished in Vegas where the Aku Aku and Stardust stood.
Legend has it that there is a curse on the property and to make it right, the Aku Aku needs to be restoredn. My guess is that you got the same curse.
Hope you held on to all the interior cause it looks like you are going to need it. Happy St. Patricks Day!

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-17 10:18 am   Permalink

If the fact that a property that was originally purchased for 35 Million was turned around and only a few years later was bought for 500 Mil (!) does not aptly demonstrate what was wrong with the multinational world of finance in the last decade, what does!

There is a whole city block smack in the middle of downtown Palm Springs that was razed (with it the original location of the m-modern Gallery) for a multi-use shopping and living development that is an empty desert lot now. The developer skipped town.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation