FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tiki Kai Slides Redondo Beach Early 1960s
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 ) Remove Highlighting
Tiki Kai Slides Redondo Beach Early 1960s
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 2:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks Bifcozz for taking the guesswork out! This location became known after the Tiki Kai as Brothers Restaurant(A-Frame still intact) before going to demolition. My understanding is that this location changed names a few times before ultimately meeting its demise. Great work TC sleuths!

*Added update*
After further investigation, Humu is correct. The Tiki Kai wasn't located inside the V intersection of Artesia and Redondo Beach Blvd. as I had first thought, but on the North side of it. That is a Pizza Hut Location now, that has a small but lengthy strip mall that follows to Hawthorne Blvd. I believe that if you stood near the North side of the Nordtroms(South Bay Galleria) located across the street, you would get an accurate view of how the vintage picture is taken. The Technical corner that the Tiki Kai sat on would be Grevillea Ave. and the absolute end of Redondo Beach Blvd. Pizza Hut is further most west business before Redondo Beach Blvd merges into Artesia Blvd(litterally the corner of Grevillea and RBB). The realtors office "Conley Realty" adress should have been on Artesia based on todays maps. I am thinking however, that there was some street movement when they redid that area with the 2 strip malls and the big mall(where the picture seems to have been taken from) since this photo was taken. This has been alot of fun!

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2007-01-28 14:41 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 2:25 pm   Permalink

Thank you, bifcozz, and everyone else who's contributed on this great thread! I've added Tiki Kai to Critiki.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-01-28 3:12 pm   Permalink

Yes, there was a tiki bar/restaurant that once upon a time sat on the little triangle between Hawthorne, Artesia and Redondo Beach Blvds. This is where the Marie Callendars (et al) and right next to where the South Bay Galleria mall stand today.

Too bad this is gone. This location is walking distance from where I sit right now.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 4:54 pm   Permalink

Here is the current aerial photo of the area.

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matterhorn1959
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-28 7:05 pm   Permalink

Hey all- thanks for the work. This is what I like about TC!

View Profile of Matterhorn1959 Send a personal message to Matterhorn1959  Goto the website of Matterhorn1959     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-12 6:48 pm   Permalink

I have the postcard that Humuhumu posted the image of.

The address was 4469 Redondo Beach Blvd.
Lawndale, California

It says:
Our purpose at this Paradise House is to serve you the finest Cantonese Cuisine and exotic drinks carefully selected by South Sea travellers. The Foods & Drinks, Prices will delight you. We are looking forward to seeing you soon.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Doctor Z
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-12 9:06 pm   Permalink

Wow - I'm surprised Sabu hasn't sounded off on this thread, 'cause he knows much more about it than I do (having grown up in the area). But, yeah - as you can see from ZuluMagoo's photo, it's a Pizza Hut now, and has been as long as I can remember...
Ask for it by name!

View Profile of Doctor Z Send a personal message to Doctor Z  Email Doctor Z     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-12 11:49 pm   Permalink

Ha! I live on Grevillea and that lil strip mall is where I take my watches to be serviced.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-12-20 5:14 pm   Permalink

I agree with BigBro that this must have been a very short-lived restaurant, because as long as I can remember, from the early 70s, it has always been a Pizza Hut. My folks don't remember it either, and we lived within a few miles of the location since 1969 and drove by all the time, and often went shopping at the South Bay plaza across the street.

Wish I had more info, as it looked to have been an eye-catching place.

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-21 03:24 am   Permalink

Matterhorn1959, will you be adding your photos to Critiki? It could use a couple of these nice slide photos over there. This way maybe someone who checks out that site will recognize it and could possibly add more information there also. That is of course if they don't come to TC first! Just a thought! Let spread the word.

[ This Message was edited by: tikipaka 2008-12-21 03:29 ]

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tom Slick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-17 6:07 pm   Permalink

Found this tonight while surfing...From the Torrance Herald, November 1962.

Also from the same paper;

"The Tiki Kai has recently signed a gentleman who Is considered world champion of the electric guitar.
His name is King Bennie Nawahi.
The interesting fact about Nawahi is that he is blind.
He will entertain you nightly at the Tiki Kai on Redondo Beach Beach Boulevard."

Which led me to this little discovery about the "King" of steel guitar;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22King%22_Bennie_Nawahi

[ This Message was edited by: Tom Slick 2012-09-17 18:18 ]

View Profile of Tom Slick Send a personal message to Tom Slick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation