FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 02:42 am   Permalink

The skulls are sweet man!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 04:22 am   Permalink

That top left one (latest batch) looks just like a well-patinated bronze sculpture. Nice work!

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
poptiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-24 10:27 pm   Permalink

Van,

How sweet. You have taken the skulls and the tile to a whole new level. "Wow" is all I can say. Way to go and keep up the out of sight work.

Waiting is the tough part, no doubt about that.

"COOL"

pop

View Profile of poptiki Send a personal message to poptiki  Goto the website of poptiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fres-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-25 01:54 am   Permalink

Love the work on the skull tiles - what kind of glaze are you thinking for them?

View Profile of Fres-tiki Send a personal message to Fres-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 1:45 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks -

Hewey - Stoked you like the skulls - I'm sculpting 2 more versions to make a set of 4 (gonna do one with no lower jaw and a bit more forehead, and a skull at a 45 degree tilt - all 4 should look great together, like some creepy catacomb).

Paipo - I am also totally into the patina glaze. Really feels nice to the touch - soft and smooth.

Pop - Mahalo for the support - it means a lot coming from a fellow "kiln in the garage/basement" artist! I've decided to alleviate the stress of waiting for a firing to finish by inventing a kiln window. Kinda like the glass door on your microwave - would let you see all the action take place!

Fres-tiki - Good question about the skull glazes. Looks like I'll be doing more glaze tests on those (back to the dreaded waiting!). I'll definitely do them in the colors I've already established for the TikiTiles - and I may do a few in the style of my "Trepanning Accident" skull mugs. They would not have the gloss coat, tho - as I don't know of a clear-coat glaze that fires to cone 6 (anyone out there use one?). I figure they'd look cooler with a bony matte finish anyway

OK - on to the new photos. Now that I am happy with the glazes, I have been firing a lot of tiles! I gotta get 2 more shelves for the kiln, as I am wasting a lot of space with each firing. Hope to fund that "studio expansion" with the current batch of Tiki Tiles on eBay. Here are the shots of the group I unloaded this morning:

Mahalo!
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-28 7:42 pm   Permalink

so cool, man. would love to see the tiki set combined with the skulls. what an awesome border it would make in my kitchen!keep up the great work!

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-08 3:10 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks -

Nothing like pressing a few Spooky Skull Tiki Tiles on Easter Sunday! Soooooo happy with these guys. Here are a few on the drying rack. In about two weeks I'll be able to bisque fire and glaze them. Can't wait!

Mahalo for peeking -

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-08 3:34 pm   Permalink

Beautiful final Glaze! Those are gonna look sweet,especially at someone's Tiki Bar or tikified kitchen.bathroom.or even a detail in a living room! Kudos!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-08 6:53 pm   Permalink

Wow! OMG! And double WOW! I can't get over how wonderful these look! Brilliant work! I'm very excited to see how the other skulls will look! Great work!
K. Angel Pilago (Hawaiian Elder & my personal Yoda)
[img]http://tikiroom.com/img/5514x538c224a.jpg[

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 1:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

I was finally able to peel myself away from the computer and get some glaze on the spooky skulls! I tried a bunch of different applications - and before you ask which one is my favorite let me just say that they are like my clay children and I love them all I shot photos from several angles so you can get a better idea of their form.

First up - "Bleached Bones" - these guys have been sitting on a sunny beach grinning at the waves since the day they were marooned. Lovely satin finish.

Next we have "Black Eyed Billy" (man - I am already grabbing straws with the tile names...). A variation on the Bleached satin white glaze - this time with blackened eyes and nose.

After that we have "Mossy Bones" - These fellows would be carved into the walls of a lost temple - guarding a treasure perhaps?

And last but not least, we have the "Old Bones" - A bit of the classic old skull look. These fellows would be at home in either a crypt or crawling out of an old grave. Matte finish - not for use in wet areas (ie: Showers)

Whew! That's it for Spooky Skull batch #1.

Mahalo for peeking!

Henrik "VanTiki"

Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 1:14 pm   Permalink

Im continuously amazed at the incredible artwork you produce...

you have some serious sculpting skills... the tiles are a great idea because they can actually be used....

skulls are always in style...

Nice

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 1:27 pm   Permalink

I agree with monkeyman! Artistic AND utilitarian! Incredible scupts and finishes! Nice!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Big Hodad-dy Reid
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-05-07 2:28 pm   Permalink

Oh man! My favorite is Bleached Bones, and Black Eye Billy, and the Mossy one, and that Old Bones I think you called it. Yeah that's my favorite! Especially the one with all his teeth and the one missing a tooth or two. Yeah I'd like one just like that, or two, or three, maybe more. It's hard to decide.

View Profile of Big Hodad-dy Reid Send a personal message to Big Hodad-dy Reid  Email Big Hodad-dy Reid     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 3:38 pm   Permalink

Great work, really nice

How about some old bones with a sprinkling of moss?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tabu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-07 5:55 pm   Permalink

I love these tiles. The glaze on the tiki tiles is gorgeous. The skulls rock too.

View Profile of Tabu Send a personal message to Tabu  Email Tabu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation