FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-06-21 11:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-21 09:31, sungod wrote:
Hey Van, lets see the bathroom tiles installed.

Hoo-boy. I was gonna wait till the bathroom was all finished, but that day seems to be growing farther and farther away!
I still have a lot of finish carpentry to do, but I snapped a couple of shots of the tile. We have a tubular skylight thing-a-ma-bob that provides really nice light in the room - and I tried to get some shots using only that light. Here goes:

Ta da! I'll do a photo spread when we finish up the bathroom properly (about 5 years from now at our current rate). We are really happy with the bathroom so far - now if we can just get some spare time to finish it!

Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sungod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 1:47 pm   Permalink

Very nice!!!

View Profile of sungod Send a personal message to sungod  Email sungod Goto the website of sungod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fugu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 7:23 pm   Permalink

That looks great so far! I love the color and design of the tiles. I can't wait to see photos of the finished bathroom.

View Profile of Fugu Send a personal message to Fugu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-21 8:51 pm   Permalink

It's just unreal how cool all your stuff is. Those tiles are nice!

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-19 8:46 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks -

Hey! Remember this thread? I still have a soft spot in my heart for a well crafted hand-pressed tile, and with that in mind I FINALLY got around to sculpting some new tiki tiles. Very excited about the designs. Some are rather fantastical, others are follow a more traditional tiki style, and one is just plain weird. All, of course, will be ultra-high relief. Finishing up the first sculpt today - will be getting a plaster mold on it tomorrow AM. Gonna be a thick one! Will post shots of the other sculpts as they near completion.

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MarkusK
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-19 10:39 pm   Permalink

Mmmhhh...sweet! I'm excited about what's to come...
Oh, and what a nice bathroom too! Love the color of those tiles!

View Profile of MarkusK Send a personal message to MarkusK      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 10:51 am   Permalink

I cant believe I never saw this thread! I really love how that bathroom is turning out and your tiles look awesome.

I love those geo-catching items you did so I think your work really comes through on such a flat surface. Your newest piece looks like its going to come out pretty fine looking.

Great stuff (I think I say that too much!) as always

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 1:46 pm   Permalink

Has that 2003 Tiki Farm feel to it. The golden years of the farm and before I got into tiki. Maybe it don't look anything like TF but it certainly is NICE.

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-20 2:42 pm   Permalink

MarkusK and Leleliz - Mahalo! Believe it or not, the bathroom STILL isn't done! Need to get the crown molding in, and finish the medicine cabinet/closet/dirty clothes storage combo. I feel like such a lazy daisy.

teaKEY - Glad you like it. It is a mash-up (dare I use the term?) of Marquesan meets Mayan on top of the stone monoliths I always imagined in the jungles out here when hiking as a kid. I think it will look swell when I line up a bunch of them next to and on top of each other.

Henrik

VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-23 12:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha Folks!

Welp, my weekend of intense tile making has come to an end. I'm gonna be cranking for the next two to three weeks on day job illustrations, so I know I needed to get the sculpts done and molded. The molds take two to three weeks to dry out, so the timing should be just right - come April I'll be able to step away from my computer and start squishing clay into the dry molds! Did three new tiles (didn't have time to sculpt my 4th design - I really like it and hated the idea of rushing it). Here they are in all their blurry hand-held studio light photographic glory: The Marq/Mayan/Idol mashup, The All Seeing Eye, and a Tangaroa-esque fellow heavily inspired by the amazing ancient tang carving Big Bro tiki posted in another thread. Man, I love the weathering on that carving!

Here is a peek at the molding process (and my dirty shop shoes). I was able to pull two molds off of the Marq Mashup, but sadly only got one off the All Seeing Eye. I was in the process of molding the last tile this morning when I ran out of plaster (I could have sworn my second plaster bucket was full!). So it will get molded sometime this week, and hopefully I'll be able to get two molds off of the sculpt. Fingers crossed!

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

Clarita
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 1:54 pm   Permalink

Veeeery Cool, VanTiki!!

View Profile of Clarita Send a personal message to Clarita  Goto the website of Clarita     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-23 9:03 pm   Permalink

Very Nice Henrik!

Dude, I don't know if I can go 3 weeks without getting my Vantiki fix.

Clay is your calling.

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-23 11:08 pm   Permalink

Two semi-opposable thumbs up. GROG like.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-09 3:37 pm   Permalink

Jeez!

Can't believe how much time has passed since my last post on this thread! Needless to say - that day job project I spoke of has consumed us totally, and I just now was able to get some studio time in to press out the new tile sculpts. SUPER happy with the results - but I'll let you folks judge for yourselves!

Clarita, Babalu, and Grog - glad you liked the original sculpts - hope you like the pressed versions! THese will spend a week drying (should go fast - summer has officially arrived in the islands), and then it is glaze time. I'll press out some more next weekend. I need to wait for Ms. VanTiki to take our smaller dog to her saturday class, as the sound of de-molding the tiles scares the daylights out of the poor pup.

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 6:37 pm   Permalink

Whoa VT...loving these all laid out together. Looks rather impressive !

Will you be selling these or auctioning them off on Ebay? I am esp digging the skull with the missing teeth.

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation