FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
VanTiki Tiles - Ku Squared tile taking shape - 1/25
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 7:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-09 18:37, leleliz wrote:
Whoa VT...loving these all laid out together. Looks rather impressive !

Will you be selling these or auctioning them off on Ebay? I am esp digging the skull with the missing teeth.

Mahalo Liz! I'm going to be dipping my toes into the ocean of Estsy with the tiles. I'm putting together an Estsy.com storefront, and once I have the first batch done I'll sell the tiles there at a fixed price (no auctions! ). Since these are molded "production" items, I feel better selling them at a fixed price. That's not to say that I won't do some special altered tile/glazed tile pieces on ebay in the future!

Aloha -
Henrik

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2009-05-09 8:32 pm   Permalink

They look great Henrik, especially the All-Seeing Eye. You press clay into a plaster mold, let it dry a little and pop it out? How do you prevent warpage? Every 6 inch test tile I ever made warped at least some.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 2:26 pm   Permalink

Hey Mike - Warping is a problem, but I've dialed in a technique that works really well after reading about a bunch of other folks trials and errors with drying tiles. I set mine on metal wire drying racks, and lay a loose plastic sheet over them. This lets them dry out almost evenly - with the bottom drying a tad faster. This way the delicate bits up top get a bit more time to balance out moisture-wise and (so far) this set up has worked really well. As always, slow and steady wins the race - drying them too quick can cause a lot of distortion. Also - be careful how you handle the wet tiles as clay has a "memory". If you cut a flat slab, bend it, then bend it back flat, it will bend slightly while drying/firing!

When I with the lottery I'll head over to the Moravian Pottery and Tile Works to take some classes and see how they do it!

View Profile of VanTiki Send a personal message to VanTiki  Goto the website of VanTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-25 7:20 pm   Permalink

Aloha folks! Remember me
My apologies for the studio silence - I've been really busy getting various projects in motion for the trip to Tiki Oasis (SO excited!). One of the projects is 4 new tiki tiles, each featuring a carved visage. I've decided to go thick and deep with the sculpts on these new ones! Here is a peek at the first tile taking shape - please note that it is a work in progress, and I still need to add more details (wood grain, clean up, etc.)

Mahalo for peeking, and I hope to meet a few of you at Tiki Oasis!
Henrik

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-02-25 9:32 pm   Permalink

Van The MAN!!! Good to see your work and excited you'll be in SoCal this summer!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 12:57 pm   Permalink

Mahalo Mike!

Quick comparison of concept doodle by the finished sculpt. One down, three to go!

Mahalo for peeking -
Henrik "VanTiki"

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-03 1:18 pm   Permalink

awesome Henrik!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nuKKe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 01:44 am   Permalink

Looking great!

View Profile of nuKKe Send a personal message to nuKKe  Email nuKKe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-04 12:14 pm   Permalink

Your unique, cool style flows through everything. Love it!

View Profile of mp Send a personal message to mp  Email mp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Makiki Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-08 03:01 am   Permalink

Can't wait to see the whole set! Knowing Vantiki, it's gonna be good.

View Profile of Makiki Tiki Send a personal message to Makiki Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-10 1:09 pm   Permalink

Mahalo everyone! I think these 4 new fellows are going to look swell together. I want to press up a slew to ring my office with!

Here is #2 nearly done. Still need to tweak and smooth a bit, but you get the idea. He's an angry elf! Moving on to #3...

Aloha!
Henrik

amybean
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-10 1:39 pm   Permalink

SO AWESOME!! and inspiring !!

View Profile of amybean Send a personal message to amybean  Email amybean Goto the website of amybean     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VanTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 12:52 pm   Permalink

As some of you Creating Tiki thread regulars may have noticed, I'm taking part in the current TC art swap. The theme is "headhunter", and it gave me the push I needed to finally make some of the framed faces that were dancing around in my head. I envision these being found in a mysterious crate shipped back to a museum from a lost expedition. Or something like that. Here are the first three - each is entirely hand-build ceramic (unlike my other tiles - these are all one-of-a-kind). I made them to HOPEFULLY fit in a standard picture frame, and tomorrow I'll find out if my clay calculations were correct. The fellow with the solid yellow eye will get some lashing thru the holes in his lips. Mr. TwoClosedEyes is going in the art swap. I'll post more when I get them framed.

Mahalo for peeking!
Henrik "VanTiki"

leleliz
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 1:37 pm   Permalink

Awesome!

Cant wait to see them completely finished!

View Profile of leleliz Send a personal message to leleliz      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiDaye
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-09 4:45 pm   Permalink

Henrik,

Those have turned out incredibly... what an honor it would be to receive one in the art swap. You rock!

peace,
Jason <><

View Profile of TikiDaye Send a personal message to TikiDaye      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation