FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Trader Vic's to open in Florida!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Trader Vic's to open in Florida!
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 12:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-15 07:00, frostiki wrote:
I'm so happy that there will be a Traders Vic's about 2 hours away, and in a great art town to boot. No more having to go to Atlanta for Trader Vic's (not that we mind going to Atlanta for the trader vic's).

As much as I'm thrilled there's going to be a Trader Vic's in Destin, I'm not placing any bets that it will be as good as TV Atlanta. That placed is tikified to the max, is at the basement level (i.e., no windows), and has the highly regarded Joel tending the bar. My guess is the Destin location will be more yacht club-like, but I'm crossing fingers that they get the bar right.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-16 2:52 pm   Permalink

By bar do you mean the decor, or the mixology, or better yet both? I know it probably won't live up to TV ATL, but considering we have no tiki at all hear two hours is better than 5 hours. Though we do vave a restaurant here that is building a "tiki Bar," but seeing as I live in Jimmy Buffet's hometown I'm sure it will be more in that style. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers, and the restaurant is worth it either way.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-17 08:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-16 14:52, frostiki wrote:
By bar do you mean the decor, or the mixology, or better yet both?

Well, they go hand in hand don't they? I mean, an average drink will seem great in the right atmosphere. But I'm hoping for great drinks from there of course. If I was forced to choose, quality drinks win out over decor. But don't make me choose...

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
frostiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 08:08 am   Permalink

You are correct sir, and I wouldn't want to choose either.

View Profile of frostiki Send a personal message to frostiki  Email frostiki Goto the website of frostiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 2:30 pm   Permalink

Mr. Gator Rob
I do hope you have a good drink at TV.. Let's not hope for some blond surfer pouring pre-mix drinks ....
Florida it's not the humidity it's the stupidity !!!!!

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-19 4:58 pm   Permalink

The thing I like best about Destin is the incredible, magnificent, unbelievable...

...traffic.

The beach ain't bad either.
Once you get there.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AlohaStation
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 09:11 am   Permalink

Grew up in the Panhandle and still visit there regularly. That location is in the heart of the worst traffic in Florida (always backed up and no accidents). There is a back way in so look closely at the map!

View Profile of AlohaStation Send a personal message to AlohaStation  Goto the website of AlohaStation     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitammy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 2:36 pm   Permalink

http://www.palmsofdestin.com/dining.html

Trader Vic's is now listed on the web site as well as a link of the menu. I've emailed them asking for an expected opening date. Let's see if they respond.

View Profile of tikitammy Send a personal message to tikitammy  Goto the website of tikitammy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 4:24 pm   Permalink

Ooooooh... They even have a link to the menu. T-minus 2 1/2 weeks 'til I'm there. Hopefully, they'll be open.

TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-28 08:12 am   Permalink

Do you think they will have 'early bird' specials for us seniors ?????

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiarch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 3:05 pm   Permalink

i have it on good authority it will open April 9th with tried and true drink formulas. as for traffic - TV's is the perfect place to stop and have a snack and tasty cocktail till it subsides.

View Profile of tikiarch Send a personal message to tikiarch  Goto the website of tikiarch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackFish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-02 09:02 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:25 ]

View Profile of BlackFish Send a personal message to BlackFish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 09:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-01 15:05, tikiarch wrote:
i have it on good authority it will open April 9th with tried and true drink formulas. as for traffic - TV's is the perfect place to stop and have a snack and tasty cocktail till it subsides.

Welcome to Tiki Central tikiarch. Yes, if there is anything you'd like to share about the Destin TV interior, we're all ears (and eyes).

Looks like I'm going to miss the opening by about three weeks, boo hoo.

tikiarch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-02 10:21 am   Permalink

Hi

Unlike Dallas the Destin location has lots of windows onto a huge covered patio and beyond- all of which view a lushly landscaped pool grotto. The covered patio will have its own "Mai Tai bar" with a stage (Cuban music, etc) dining furniture and a central loungy area with Teak upholstered furniture. The ceiling is a two tone overscaled tapa cloth design. The uncovered patio beyond will offer additional dining areas and well as a couple tented pavillions with lounge furniture.

There are numerous Tikis coming from Indonesia (the same carvers that did the new entry tiki in Dallas)
ranging in size from 5 to 12' tall. they will be outside at the entry, flanking the stage, at the patio bar, at the uncovered patio, and scattered throughout the main dining room.

The main dining has a central hostess with the bar on the right and main dining room to the left. the Chinese oven is the central feature at the far left wall. banquettes line the walls with tapa cloth trimed in bamboo above. ceilings are covered in Neau panels and stencil painted wood trim. carved new Guinea planks cover the walls near the entry and flanking the Chinese oven room. a large outrigger canoe hangs overhead over round booths.

the bar/lounge will have a nautical vibe with loads of original artifacts from the Trader Vics corporate stash. walls in the bar are covered in a Japanese grasscloth wallcovering. banquettes are in a burgungy embossed leather. Monkey pod tables in the bar are again salvaged from a closed location.

There is a private dining room "The Trader's Office" thats seats 20-30 with more classic trader photos and artwork.
get ready.

View Profile of tikiarch Send a personal message to tikiarch  Goto the website of tikiarch     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-02 10:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-02 10:21, tikiarch wrote:
get ready.

Wow.

I'm still in mild shock that tiki is coming to the Florida panhandle in such grand fashion. Can't wait to see it. I just took a look at the pictures of what you did in Dallas and it looks spectacular. I have a feeling we're in for a real treat...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation