FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Could this be a TIKI party room?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Could this be a TIKI party room?
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-21 8:37 pm   Permalink

In my quest to save mod houses around Houston, I came across a grand 50's house with a huge party/ball room. It has this wood which no one has ever been able to say with certainy what it is, (possibly bocolo rosewood?) the poor house is in desperate need of some luv.

Anyway, I am no TIKI expert, but this wood treatment looks like it would make a good starting point for a tiki theme. What would you do with something like this? Would you consider this a tiki accent? Or just something else altogether.

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 9:04 pm   Permalink

Hey Txmod! Welcome to Tiki Central.

That's a really cool looking house!
It may not be tiki per se, but it's a definite Wowie Pad.
The wood looks like cedar, just from the photos (but you'd know if it was that, duh) - weird.

(Are you on HAIF? I've been majorly lurking there.)

What part of town is the house in?

Formikahini

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 9:06 pm   Permalink

THAT is a swank pad!

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 9:26 pm   Permalink

Very cool Txmod. Welcome to Tiki Central.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-02-21 21:28 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-21 9:37 pm   Permalink

When I saw the swank home bar, all I could say was, Wow!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-21 10:01 pm   Permalink

holycow. no need to tiki-fy that pad..its hot all on it's own. so, make us west coast folks crazy ~ how big is that house, and whats the asking price?

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 07:17 am   Permalink

I'd kill for that house!

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-22 07:43 am   Permalink

The house is in the Glenbrook Valley section of Houston, which I have sort of taken under my wing to try and save. There are mod enthusiasts moving in now and saving the houses, but just a couple of years ago basically nobody wanted them, and houses like these were falling into very rough hands. This one is very abused now, but could still be saved. It was on the market, before the listing expired, for $224,900. It is just under 4,200 sq ft on a 15,000 sq ft lot with a pool. They have slathered the downstairs main house with that ugly shiny ceramic floor tile. There are huge formals, a big den with a stone fireplace wall, 3 bedrooms, and then this ballroom + billiards room up above the 3 car garage area. I still hold out hope that at some point someone will step in. If I flip mine I may have to approach them and see if I can get it myself. The present situation is almost more than I can bear!
There are lots of cool houses in there,:
http://www.glenbrookvalley.com/index.php?pageId=181786 Thankfully, more and more are falling into more sympathetic hands.

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Digitiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 08:28 am   Permalink

Those wood things are so cool looking! Its good to see people who actually want to save things like this! In alomst every city with a 50's-60's mod or googie style in it, the houses and buildings are in danger of being wiped off the map. There is no telling how many private homes like this have been completely remodeled and the swanky decor chucked into a landfill.

View Profile of Digitiki Send a personal message to Digitiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-22 10:02 am   Permalink

that price makes me weep.
gosh you couldn't even buy 2 - 296 square feet condos at $149,950 here in seattle...
sigh.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 12:26 pm   Permalink

Man, txmod, those are some great houses. Too bad they're located in Houston instead of a nice city.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMookie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 1:36 pm   Permalink

Brickhorn, ouch man! (I've never been to Texas so excuse my ignorance)...

Those are great looking homes. I love the swanky room also, it probably wouldn't take much to tiki it a bit. Good luck, I'm glad you are adopting such a nice home.

View Profile of TikiMookie Send a personal message to TikiMookie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shakatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 1:59 pm   Permalink

Very cool pad!! I saw some carvings like that in the Philippines that were used as room dividers and made of monkeypod (acacia) which often has the dark wood mixed in with outer layer of white wood.
What are the rents in that area? I am looking for some investment property. Would it cash flow in the positive?

OKOLE MALUNA!!!!
SAVE THE WORLD, BUY BAMBOO!!

View Profile of shakatiki Send a personal message to shakatiki  Email shakatiki Goto the website of shakatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 3:42 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-22 13:36, TikiMookie wrote:

Mookie - I grew up in Houston, and have lived in Austin and Dallas. There's an age-old heated, albeit friendly, debate between Houstonians and Dallasites over which city is better. Of course, even the most loyal of partisans on both sides of the debate agree that Austin is superior to both cities.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-22 3:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-22 15:42, BrickHorn wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-02-22 13:36, TikiMookie wrote:

Mookie - I grew up in Houston, and have lived in Austin and Dallas. There's an age-old heated, albeit friendly, debate between Houstonians and Dallasites over which city is better. Of course, even the most loyal of partisans on both sides of the debate agree that Austin is superior to both cities.

Of course the jab might have stung, had it been coming from someone living in a real city!!!

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation