FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Could this be a TIKI party room?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Could this be a TIKI party room?
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 6:00 pm   Permalink

The wood looks great - has a funky mod driftwood vibe which would be great in a tiki bar

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-22 6:41 pm   Permalink

I thought that bar looked pretty swank too, and looks like a little dancefloor in front of it.....where is the disco-ball. Hope somebody gets it that will appreciate its personality.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-22 7:56 pm   Permalink

Right now the house is not on the market, and continues to be abused. Whenever I get a client that I think it would work for though, I am not shy about knocking on the door and trying to get in to show it. This one worries me, because it is so hard for most people to see past the junk to have a vision of what they could have if they saved it.

sorry for these too large photos, I am trying to figure out how to downsize them.

Sometimes I win a few though. This one is directly across the street & is supposed to close Monday. A mod enthusiast bought it. The swank party room (complete with a hidden movie screen, and hidden projector compartment behind a hinged picture) was sold furnished by the original owners to the second owners. This guy will be only the 3rd owner in 53 years. The game room furnishings came with the house so the room will remain intact! Even the picture of the cat with the "bubbles" which extend beyond the painting and onto the wall.

This one got good new owners recently too. It was one of my favorites in there so far

This one is being renovated by some mod purist. It was a good one too with an atrium

Oh and one more. I had a Rocket Scientist that got this one that is restoring it. (this were pictures when it was being sold with the sellers stuff in it, not his) Every inch poured terrazzo inside.

I keep begging this guy to sell.

There are a couple of others in there right now that are "at risk" of falling into unsympathetic hands. Each one in there is so different. Hopefully I will have some other success stories rather than....

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Orchid Wahine
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-22 8:10 pm   Permalink

I am absolutely speechless. I'm sure you realize what incredible finds these are in every respect. You or the owners really should contact Atomic Ranch magazine for a feature. If I lived in one of these places I'd never leave!! Thanks so much for sharing.

View Profile of Orchid Wahine Send a personal message to Orchid Wahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 8:16 pm   Permalink

why is my shirt wet? Oh yeah, the drool falling onto it.

If only we had those houses and those prices here in Maine!

But I work in politics, and the last place I want to work is Texas. Sorry kids.

..sbim

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-22 8:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-22 20:16, Suffering Bastard in Maine wrote:
why is my shirt wet? Oh yeah, the drool falling onto it.

If only we had those houses and those prices here in Maine!

But I work in politics, and the last place I want to work is Texas. Sorry kids.

..sbim

Hey, we might need you down here!

Atomic Ranch has threatened to do an article on Glenbrook Valley, but so far no luck.

I would love the exposure for the hood. It is still relatively unknown, even in Houston.

[ This Message was edited by: txmod 2007-02-22 20:39 ]

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 8:54 pm   Permalink

No sh*t!
I'd never heard of it!!

It's NOT in a part of town where I would want to live (outside the loop, and *south* at that), but if the whole neighborhood is that amazing (and becoming increasingly filled with sympathetic types), I may have to seriously change my thinking!!

Maybe the Heights (where I live) and Montrose *aren't* the only cool places to live in Houston...
Hmmmm......

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-22 8:59 pm   Permalink

And BTW, txmod, you gotta get me into some parties at these ultra-swank pads! I have to see these up close! Maybe take me on a cruise through one with an open house as a pretend interested buyer? Knowing me, I'll probably decide to buy one after all!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-22 9:51 pm   Permalink

It's filling up with "inner-loopers." You have to get them over the "southeast side vertigo." People in Houston percieve it to be way over there when in reality it is just a hair outside the loop and as close in as Garden Oaks, Oak Forest, etc. which most inner-loopers still consider close in areas.

Speaking of, the one closing Monday is someone moving from Oak Forest, beating out a buyer selling their loft at Il Pallazzo, The flat roof one with the Atrium was a Montrose defector, as was the Rocket Scientist. A couple of people have given up their Arts & Crafts style homes in Eastwood in favor of new Swankiendas down there. I have a traditional house under contract to someone selling a house on Willard and Stanford in Montrose.

This one was a Heights defector,

There is one up with another agency right now, the interior shots posted on the MLS are not of the house, I don't know what they are, but I am hoping it doesn't get remuddled. It is one of the more in danger ones since it is so large, 3504 sq ft, with a servants wing with its own kitchen. Originally it was Mrs. Carrabba's of the Italian restaurant chain. The front doors look like Doris Day should be popping out of the woodwork or something.

incidentally, there is poured terrazzo under that carpet, through much of the house.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-22 9:53 pm   Permalink

Rip one of those babies of the foundation and put it in California and they would pull well over a million with those interiors.....especially the cat mural with tulip chairs....sigh.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 05:55 am   Permalink

250k in Bakersfield buys a pretty terrible starter house on a microscopic lot. Why on earth would houses be high priced in Bakersfield??? These types of houses can be found scatterd through the Stockdale Country Club here and would easily be $750k or more. I live in a ranch house built in 1989 and my wife and I are reversing it to 1961 with every project we do. It almost makes us want to move to Texas.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-23 07:04 am   Permalink

Quote:
Of course the jab might have stung, had it been coming from someone living in a real city!!!

Ouch! Seriously, though, great houses txmod. I grew up in the boonies on the northwest side (Near 249 and Louetta) and thought Houston was the pits. And, to be honest, that part of Houston is the pits. Since that time, I've gotten to see a lot more of the city inside-the-loop. It's actually a pretty cool place with a lot of culture and a fair amount of cool mod architecture. I'm happy to see people like yourself are preserving and restoring these great homes. Keep up the great work.

My wife and I bought our first home this past summer. Unfortunately, Austin doesn't have nearly the quantity or quality of midcentury ranch style homes that Houston does. We ended up settling on a fairly cool 70's home in South Austin, but it's nothing like the examples you posted. Maybe I should transfer to our firm's Houston office...

By the way, did you ever post on Hornfans.com or Orangebloods.com? There was a guy on one of those boards that used to post about preserving the midcentury homes in the Memorial area.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-23 09:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-23 07:04, BrickHorn wrote:
Quote:
Of course the jab might have stung, had it been coming from someone living in a real city!!!

Ouch! Seriously, though, great houses txmod. I grew up in the boonies on the northwest side (Near 249 and Louetta) and thought Houston was the pits. And, to be honest, that part of Houston is the pits. Since that time, I've gotten to see a lot more of the city inside-the-loop. It's actually a pretty cool place with a lot of culture and a fair amount of cool mod architecture. I'm happy to see people like yourself are preserving and restoring these great homes. Keep up the great work.

My wife and I bought our first home this past summer. Unfortunately, Austin doesn't have nearly the quantity or quality of midcentury ranch style homes that Houston does. We ended up settling on a fairly cool 70's home in South Austin, but it's nothing like the examples you posted. Maybe I should transfer to our firm's Houston office...

By the way, did you ever post on Hornfans.com or Orangebloods.com? There was a guy on one of those boards that used to post about preserving the midcentury homes in the Memorial area.

I wonder if it was Michael Brichford that has http://www.memorialbendarchitecture.com

txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-23 09:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-22 20:59, Formikahini wrote:
And BTW, txmod, you gotta get me into some parties at these ultra-swank pads! I have to see these up close! Maybe take me on a cruise through one with an open house as a pretend interested buyer? Knowing me, I'll probably decide to buy one after all!

Houston Mod
http://www.houstonmod.org sometimes coordinates open houses with agents that have mod listings. The one with the game room with the tulip chairs, and the 2 story one with the two Jetson's looking couches were both open at one time for that. Shannon, (a.k.a Stolitx on the Houston Architecture Forum) sometimes has open house get togethers at her swankienda. There may be a real good one coming up near the Galleria that will be the next Mod of the Month for Houston Mod.

Mateotiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-23 10:44 am   Permalink

Very cool pix, txmod. There are also a good number of 1-story, 1700-1900 sq. ft. houses built on my side of town (Antoine/Mangum near 290) that range from 160-190K and were also built in the 50s-60s. Same kind of low-pitched roofs, too. Not quite Da Montrose and Da Heights, but not "da hood", either.

[ This Message was edited by: Mateotiki 2007-02-23 10:46 ]

View Profile of Mateotiki Send a personal message to Mateotiki  Email Mateotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation