FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Could this be a TIKI party room?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Could this be a TIKI party room?
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-23 5:48 pm   Permalink

this is what I hope to head off when I can. Things like this....

becoming this...

this...

morphing...

into a complete disaster.

Or ending up with this..

when it started out a Robert A. Little of Cleveland design...

http://www.glenbrookvalley.com/index.php?pageId=181797&action=picture&itemId=729813

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-25 3:20 pm   Permalink

I guess while I am asking about tiki, there is also this gotta-love-it-because-its-so-bizarre house. I think this is the closest I have ever seen to a whole house that almost looks Tiki (that wasn't a hut with a straw roof)

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 4:32 pm   Permalink

sweet!

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 4:50 pm   Permalink

TXMOD...Man, that is some of the worst disaster examples I've seen. People who f*ck with stellar MCM houses should be put to sleep.

The second one has an obvious Asian influence, hence the Tiki-esque appearance.

Paint that house a dark brown and watch it become VERY tiki. I did this to my old house, which had a slight Asian MCM flavor.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2007-02-25 16:54 ]

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 7:54 pm   Permalink

WOW, Those photos of the remodels made my stomach turn. But thankfully the photos followed in the comments after ward helped settle it. I must say, that "asian style" is freeking awesome. I have a friend who studies martial arts who is thinking of remodeling his non descript brick home to reflect his Japanise garden.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-25 8:30 pm   Permalink

I know, believe me. The last one that was the "Home for All America" prototype just kills me. About the only consolation is there are more around of that design, just not in Houston. On the last 2 pages of the article (included on the Glenbrook web site) is a list of addresses where they were built, there is probably one near you. (or was)
The undulating wall one makes me want to knaw my wrists, especially since I begged the owners to sell it before they did all that crap to it.
Hopefully we will see less of that now that more people seem to be appreciating these.

On a lighter note, I dug up some other pics I had on another one in there. I'm not sure what exact architectural style I would call it, "Cinderella style" or maybe a French contemporary. It has a 40' round rotunda living room with a round fireplace and flaring divider walls. Very cool house.

Entry

living

txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-25 8:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-25 16:50, tikiyaki wrote:
TXMOD...Man, that is some of the worst disaster examples I've seen. People who f*ck with stellar MCM houses should be put to sleep.

The second one has an obvious Asian influence, hence the Tiki-esque appearance.

Paint that house a dark brown and watch it become VERY tiki. I did this to my old house, which had a slight Asian MCM flavor.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiyaki 2007-02-25 16:54 ]

That came out beautiful!

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 8:53 pm   Permalink

*Ugh.*

It's not that I've loved MCM my whole life (I was taught to hate it as a kid), but I can truly say that I wouldn't buy those re-models at the top of this page even if I hadn't known what they'd destroyed, you know? I mean, they are just plain old *plain.* The second one is a hideous McMansion wannabe that looks transplanted out of Sugarland (non-Houstonians, just know that they're the worst architecture in maybe all of Texas). These two re-dos are what I would maybe have to settle for if the interior was great and so was the neighborhood. And it was the only thing I could afford.

OK, I couldn't stomach the second one.

And I'd tell myself I could plant a lot of trees to cover it (the first one).

And a lot of bushes.

And maybe fig vine.

But I'd be eagerly scanning the real estate pages to see when something I actually *wanted* was coming up.

C'mon, people (the idiots who destroyed these beauties)! If you don't like these houses as they are, BUY A DIFFERENT HOUSE! Is that so hard?!? I mean, they took out THE GIANT OAK TREE BY THE FRONT DOOR!! Sure they "updated" the house (if one considers that a virtue), but to the fugliest modern-day style out there.
Is that an improvement???
ab

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-25 10:21 pm   Permalink

At least on the first one, the original roof is under the new one they put on there, so I suppose someone could put that one back, the other two are gone.

Sometimes they are just abused and beat up, but at least with those you can bring them back. There is one somebody has listed in there, but they didn't post pictures on the MLS. That is my pet peeve b/c how is a mod appreciative buyer going to find it? I put pictures of it on lottaliving just in hopes it doesn't get any worse or worse yet, end up like the 3 bad examples at the top of the page. I wish somebody would rescue this one.

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8608

Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-26 10:52 pm   Permalink

You should come out to Lubbock sometime and check out all the Dolly Mack houses they have. I will live in one someday.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-27 6:40 pm   Permalink

That could be tiki-ied up very nicely! Nice big Benzart in the front garden, some volcanic rock around the garden bed, some glass float lamps from peaks of the roof, letterbox would be modelled after some vintage neon sign...

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-01 6:41 pm   Permalink

Here were some other pics I dug up on the hood. These were ones that were part of the "Parade of Homes" for 1956.

txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-04 4:20 pm   Permalink

BTW - One of the mod houses I just sold, (the one in the pictures earlier in the thread with the metal roof and the steel beams off the carport) is having an estate sale on the 10th. 9 to 4. There is some rattan stuff that might work for a tiki set up, a few other nice pieces. I noticed a couple of tiki-themed items, this odd little shadowbox for one. I have never seen anything like that before. I have no idea how old it is. The house is really cool too. It's a good opportunity to see inside of it just for fun. 7911 Santa Elena

[ This Message was edited by: txmod 2007-03-04 16:24 ]

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-04 4:36 pm   Permalink

I'm THERE, Baybee!!
Just to get to see inside is cool enough, but the added incentive of picking up a goodie or two...
Thanks, Txmod!

BTW, I'm planning on having a gathering of the Houston clan in the next two weeks. Kilikopela and his wahine are in from Korea, and it seems as though Houston is hitting critical tiki mass. I've collected the email address of all but Almost Human, whom I can PM if he doesn't see this.

It will be at my home bar if I can get a few things hung up in time. (Some goodies I've scored are collecting dust waiting to be strung from the ceiling, etc.). Looking forward to meeting everyone soon.
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-03-16 7:01 pm   Permalink

Formikahini - were you able to make it by?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation