FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Could this be a TIKI party room?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Could this be a TIKI party room?
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-01 13:52, TikiGardener wrote:
So....

What sort of financial tax hell would it be if someone like me were to buy one of these and rent it out? I mean I have no concept of what it would require to do this.

I mean 89,900 for a frikkin cool house. Whats the rental market like? Could you do it and make or break even?

Well I'm not 100% sure about that here in Texas. But I will say this, if you did buy the one I mentioned for rental, I would like to be first in line. I'll even put this current house up for sale! Besides you know I'd never change the appearance and only would replace fixtures and what not that complimented the house. I drove by it last weekend while in town and I swear isaw a few vehicles in the drive way. It made me sick to think someone who doesn't appreciate the house will probably buy it b/c it's cheap and has a pool.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kollektor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 1:05 pm   Permalink

...so, I could sell my 350 sq. ft. Manhattan studio and for LESS money buy an AWESOMELY cool 3500 sq. ft. vintage swank pad!!!!?

...but I'd have to live in the reddest of red states...and every other driveway on the block is stuffed with a giant freakin pickup truck...??? (see photos)

no thanks...I'll stay where I am.

View Profile of Tiki Kollektor Send a personal message to Tiki Kollektor  Goto the website of Tiki Kollektor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 8:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-02 13:05, Tiki Kollektor wrote:
...so, I could sell my 350 sq. ft. Manhattan studio and for LESS money buy an AWESOMELY cool 3500 sq. ft. vintage swank pad!!!!?

...but I'd have to live in the reddest of red states...and every other driveway on the block is stuffed with a giant freakin pickup truck...??? (see photos)

no thanks...I'll stay where I am.

And you wish to explain to me how red states can turn blue by another method? Be brave! Ok I know, politics etc...

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 06:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-02 13:05, Tiki Kollektor wrote:

350 sq ft?! That's the size of my freakin' living room! Gawd I would love to live closer to a city center, but no way could I live in a shoebox. Where to put the tiki bar?!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-03 10:17 am   Permalink

Yes, 350 sq ft would send me into cabin fever. On the other hand I don't need the space I have. The rancher I bought has a 24'x25' room above the garage that I don't ever go into. Thank goodness it is on its own a/c so I don't have to keep that running on it.

In all my Glenbrook picture posting, I didn't put any of my little rancher, I had a thread on lottaliving:

http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=8620

As for being in a red state, oh well, it doesn't stop me from having a bumper sticker in bold red that reads.. "W - Our Scarlett Letter"

[ This Message was edited by: txmod 2007-04-03 10:19 ]

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kollektor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 12:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

350 sq ft?! That's the size of my freakin' living room! Gawd I would love to live closer to a city center, but no way could I live in a shoebox. Where to put the tiki bar?!

LOL....Actually I was just scheming a way to shoehorn in a Witco tiki bar and two stools, but you're right, it won't fit!!...then again....do I really NEED a bed???

But seriously, NY'ers don't need home tiki bars because we just..elevator down, jump in a cab, and in two minutes we're at Waikiki Willys or Otto's Shrunken Head suckin down Mai Tais....AND...we can get as drunk as we like cuz we dont have to drive!!!

View Profile of Tiki Kollektor Send a personal message to Tiki Kollektor  Goto the website of Tiki Kollektor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 1:28 pm   Permalink

Aw, MAN, Txmod!!
Your kitchen is straight out of an Architectural Digest! BEAUtiful!
Nice lighting, too. I guess it helps to know how to light homes if you're a realtor, huh!

alice b

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kollektor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-03 13:28, Formikahini wrote:
Aw, MAN, Txmod!!
Your kitchen is straight out of an Architectural Digest! BEAUtiful!
Nice lighting, too. I guess it helps to know how to light homes if you're a realtor, huh!

Txmod -- I second that -- Awesome interiors! big ups! But put a tiki or some Witco in there man!!!!

PS -- no cabin fever if your 350 sq ft is on the 18th floor with expansive midtown views!

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-03 8:03 pm   Permalink

I tell you, unbelievers:

Houston has become an incredibly great place to live. It used to be known by some as Helltown, but it has *changed*. I grew up here, moved away for college (at UT in Austin, home for many weekends) and afterward, but moved back about 5 years ago.

Houston boasts:
1.) the cheapest housing among cities in the nation (you would DIE if you knew what I paid for my 2/1, 1300 sq ft house (with a big yard, 10' ceilings, hardwood floors) in one of the coolest areas in town: The Heights. *Die*. Or hate me. And then die.)
2.) more restaurants per capita than any other city
3.) the "Second Nicest City" rating in the US (behind Rochester, NY) according to a national study a year or two ago
4.) a great museums and art scene (traditional, folk, weird, and really weird), e.g.:
Art Car Parade:
http://www.orangeshow.org/artcar.html
The Orange Show: http://www.orangeshow.org/orange.html
The Beer Can House: http://www.orangeshow.org/beercan.html
5.) a great theater scene
6.) a reputation for hospitality like no other after Katrina
7.) proximity to the ocean (Galveston is 45 minutes away)
8.) proximity to Mexico (not as close as San Diego to Tijuana, but drivable)
9.) did I mention the high employment rate? GREAT job market.
10.) great antiquing (although we ain't no California for cheap yard sale tiki). But 2 weekends ago, I finally scored one of my top Holy Grails: a Bali Ha'i Tiki Bob from an antique mall (an MCM booth!) in a nearby town for $7.50.
11.) and now you know of the grooviest MCM neighborhood outside of California!

Downsides:
1.) humidity. No way around it. Except AC everywhere. We became a boomtown when AC became readily available.
2.) a crappy music scene (except for the occasional very bright spot like the band I used to be in, Clouseaux). But we're 2 and a half hours from Austin (whose housing is now MUCH worse than Houston's.)
3.) the rating of "second fattest city". We slipped from first last year. But do you know how they figure that? # of restaurants divided by # of health clubs! See #2 above. My friends are not tubs of lard. Houstonians can afford to eat out (see #9 above), it's often too hot to cook at home, and we have great choices. Hey, if somebody else wants to heat up their kitchen, fine!

Don't knock Houston! Come visit instead. And then stay and buy one of Txmod's cool houses!
F

[ This Message was edited by: Formikahini 2007-04-04 16:38 ]

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mzoltarp
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 07:23 am   Permalink

That almost described Bakersfield to a tee.

View Profile of mzoltarp Send a personal message to mzoltarp  Goto the website of mzoltarp     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 12:48 pm   Permalink

Formikahini, I totally agree. I love Houston, and if the humidity didn't almost kill my wife, we would be living there. I love the art scene there and the openess the city shows for the artists (I was a regular to the art car parade & the Orange Show). I love Houston... heck it's even just up the road from Tiki Island!

Well the realtor posted a virtual tour of the house we want:
http://tours.tourfactory.com/tours/tour.asp?t=337065

Does anyone know how I can get this house? We are in debt management and our credit isn't so well b/c of our debt. Is there anyway you think they would consider taking my house (that i'm still paying on) as a trade or anything? After seeing the tour, I feel this house was destend to be ours.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 2:40 pm   Permalink

Let's see 90k$ for a 3 BR/3Ba w/ a pool? Holy crap!!!! I couldn't buy my detached garage w/o electricity for that. Johnson Space Center is looking better and better.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 4:24 pm   Permalink

Surf Tiki, before you go selling your home, loadin' up the truck and movin' the famileeee, know that Unkle John was posting a Lubbock, TX house, not Houston.

We're low priced, but not *that* low!

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 4:47 pm   Permalink

Awesome pictures. Very sad about some of those remodels, though. <Sigh>. I'd move to Houston in a heartbeat if I could find a good job. Is there a lot of biotech out there?
And in reply to the original question-- I don't think I would tiki-fy any of those little rumpus rooms. They're too awesome as-is and doing something to them would be a crime. On the other hand, adding a little tiki on the wall or something like that would just make it look like something right out of a SHAG painting. Now that would be cool.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-04 4:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-04 16:47, TikiJosh wrote:
Awesome pictures. Very sad about some of those remodels, though. <Sigh>. I'd move to Houston in a heartbeat if I could find a good job. Is there a lot of biotech out there?
And in reply to the original question-- I don't think I would tiki-fy any of those little rumpus rooms. They're too awesome as-is and doing something to them would be a crime. On the other hand, adding a little tiki on the wall or something like that would just make it look like something right out of a SHAG painting. Now that would be cool.

Job growth is strong here right now.

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation