FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Could this be a TIKI party room?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Could this be a TIKI party room?
Deckhand_Davy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-15 11:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-22 20:54, Formikahini wrote:
No sh*t!
I'd never heard of it!!

It's NOT in a part of town where I would want to live (outside the loop, and *south* at that), but if the whole neighborhood is that amazing (and becoming increasingly filled with sympathetic types), I may have to seriously change my thinking!!

Maybe the Heights (where I live) and Montrose *aren't* the only cool places to live in Houston...
Hmmmm......

This is tooo amazing!!! I had no idea this houston subdivision even existed!!!! DAMMM, AND I HAVENT EVEN FINISHED READING THIS THREAD!!!

View Profile of Deckhand_Davy Send a personal message to Deckhand_Davy  Goto the website of Deckhand_Davy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-15 2:14 pm   Permalink

Well....it's a colorful place. In case you needed a "visual" for the "Battle of Glenbrook" article in the second or third post down on page 6....

http://neonpoisoning.blogspot.com/2008/07/hate-fags-and-i-wish-i-could-still-buy.html

We still have a few old characters floating around. Not all of them bad. When the writer of the "Battle" article was in there she found yet another one to write about in the hood. A guy that used to be Frank Sinatra's driver

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/gray/4857052.html

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-07-18 3:09 pm   Permalink

There were a bunch of old Cadillacs wheeled out for the open house, I didn't take any pics but someone did send me this one.

[ This Message was edited by: txmod 2008-07-21 18:48 ]

View Profile of txmod Send a personal message to txmod  Goto the website of txmod     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-18 7:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

We still have a few old characters floating around. Not all of them bad. When the writer of the "Battle" article was in there she found yet another one to write about in the hood. A guy that used to be Frank Sinatra's driver

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/gray/4857052.html

Thanks for that link. I really enjoyed reading that article.

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret 2008-07-18 19:52 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-30 9:14 pm   Permalink

Nevermind... the house is off the market.

Texas Tikiphiles Unite!

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2008-07-30 21:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Unkle John 2008-08-03 19:23 ]

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-03 09:43 am   Permalink

We are really seeing some of the inexpensive mods pop up in Glenbrook in the southern section of the hood. I have been fretting over this one, but I think it landed in good hands, it just went pending. For a whopping $65,000 list (who knows what they talked them down to on actual sales price). A great albeit in bad shape, mid-century modern that was part of the 1956 Parade of Homes show, and was designed by a Mel O'Brien, a Rice educated Architect who went on to get his Masters from Princeton and opened his own firm in Memphis, Tenn. in 1963. He was very successful there. So the house has a sort of architectural pedigree and great design, for less than what some people spend on a high end SUV.

Deckhand_Davy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-11 3:04 pm   Permalink

Argh, I'm finally making some good dough and would jump on this and any other nice mod offering in Glenbrook, but I'm not single...almost engaged actually. And she absolutely hates anything mod, argh!

Sigh...I could really do something with that one (and the many other listings there)!

[ This Message was edited by: Deckhand_Davy 2008-08-11 15:14 ]

View Profile of Deckhand_Davy Send a personal message to Deckhand_Davy  Goto the website of Deckhand_Davy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deckhand_Davy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-11 8:42 pm   Permalink

Dang Robert, you're really pumping out the best homes in Glenbrook! This one off of 8015 Arletta is awesome and has some sweet potential.

tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-11 9:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-08-03 09:43, txmod wrote:
We are really seeing some of the inexpensive mods pop up in Glenbrook in the southern section of the hood. I have been fretting over this one, but I think it landed in good hands, it just went pending. For a whopping $65,000 list (who knows what they talked them down to on actual sales price). A great albeit in bad shape, mid-century modern that was part of the 1956 Parade of Homes show, and was designed by a Mel O'Brien, a Rice educated Architect who went on to get his Masters from Princeton and opened his own firm in Memphis, Tenn. in 1963. He was very successful there. So the house has a sort of architectural pedigree and great design, for less than what some people spend on a high end SUV.

$65,000....in 2008 ????????

Are you serious ?

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-11 9:49 pm   Permalink

I know, that house needs everything done to it, but still, $65k is obscene. We have targeted that street to be the first part of the nabe as a historic district, I hope we can get that done.

As for the other one on Arletta, the owners bought it with the intention of tearing it down. I am hoping it sells before they go back to "plan A" on that one.

The $65,000 one got a really nice young couple that bought it. Wasn't one of my deals but I heard about it. They are friends of the Kimbles that they interviewed in a nice little article on the hood (yes, yet another one) in the Chronicle last week. (see below), So I think that $65k one will end up okay.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/east/news/5929897.html

the Kimbles house was one of the original 6 model homes and has suffered everything from flippers to fires before they restored it. A couple of these pics are from the article in the above link, and the "before" ones, which pre-date the fire in the house in 2007, are ones I had from 2004.

Deckhand_Davy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-12 06:17 am   Permalink

Wow, they really did the right things on that house. Really nice.

txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-09-10 6:59 pm   Permalink

Ugh, the abomination continues. The very first house on this thread, the one with the neat ballroom with the cool monkey pod wood dividers/banisters, well unfortunately it is clearly in the wrong hands.

Today I drove by and noticed their latest "home improvement" of taking out those pesky big picture windows and replacing them with 6 over 6 Home Cheapo numbers. Yuk!

txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-14 7:32 pm   Permalink

bump -

This is just too good not to share. The old fascist of the neighborhood, T.C. Burton, that was discussed earlier in this thread with his Confederate flags and shrines to George Wallace, apparently has met his match with the new neighbors across the street. Gotta love their Halloween decorations facing off against T.C.'s stars and bars.

Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-15 6:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:
On 2008-08-11 21:18, tikiyaki wrote:
$65,000....in 2008 ????????

Are you serious ?

Y'all startin' to understand what I mean when i say life is GREAT in Houston??

Great jobs, cheap housing, amazing arts - the list goes on.

If you can put up with traffic (like LA), humidity (like South Florida) and chihuahua-sized cockroaches (like, uh, a horror film), you will thrive here.

Thriving and still jonesing for one of these homes if they just weren't the wrong direction from my job, dammit,
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
txmod
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-15 7:36 pm   Permalink

Never say never, I just haven't gotten the right bait for you yet, Formikahini, however, that could change very, very soon.....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation