FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Polynesian Murals and Dioramas - Vintage & Other
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Polynesian Murals and Dioramas - Vintage & Other
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 01:41 am   Permalink

Great thread! To me the best murals are the ones that have 3D elements in the foreground that lead into the painting - making it hard to distinguish where the wall starts!

People interested in this should also do some googling on "Trompe l'oeil" - Trompe-l'oeil is an art technique involving extremely realistic imagery in order to create the optical illusion that the depicted objects really exist, instead of being just two-dimensional paintings. The name is derived from French for "trick the eye", from tromper - to deceive and l'oeil - the eye (from Wikipedia). Search for Trompe l'oeil and tiki brings up nothing, but search it with terms such as tropical, jungle, exotic etc etc and you find some amazing art.

Look at these:

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 08:26 am   Permalink

Hey hewey - I agree completely - foreground details or elements completely create the illusion of depth. A well executed "Trompe l'oeil" is amazing, often causing the viewer to touch the mural, just to understand what they are seeing!

Here is a mural I did for a teacher's dining room in a middle school. A little Trompe l'oeil can be seen on the left wall, where I continued the view in a faux arch/window. Despite the main wall was sheetrock and the adjoining wall was cement block, the scene seems seemless and tricks you into thinking you could walk beyond the walls.

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-24 09:07 am   Permalink

Wow jp....beautiful artwork. You are quite the talent!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 10:36 am   Permalink

Votre Tromp is tres bon, bien sur, Sir. Here is an example of fine foreground pieces (already posted this in Locating Tiki), at the Kona Kai in Philadelphia: The tattered shutters that frame the mural really sell the idea of a view out of the window:

A different view:

A close up of that:

But that is not all, the palm trees, the huts, and the horizon were all painted on separate sheets of glass, to create a 3D effect, and these different layers were lit individually, so the whole scene could be gradually dimmed from day to dusk to night.
I believe the Hawaii Kai in New York had a similar installation.....NEXT: Dioramas!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-02-24 15:11 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-02-24 3:38 pm   Permalink

Good thread. GROG really like seeing all the murals inside the tiki bars. Hopefully someone with a camera will post some more photos of the nice murals inside Damons. GROG not have digital camera.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 3:44 pm   Permalink

And when they do, take a close up of that one GREEN Tiki which is the only detail NOT copied directly from the classic Eugene Savage menus. Post it on this page, and you will see WHERE it comes from...-though we will never know how and why.....it's a so-called mural mystery.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-24 4:32 pm   Permalink

JP that is awesome! Very nice work indeed.

Bigbro I love that effect with the shutters, it frames it really well.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-02-25 09:48 am   Permalink

I have very fond memories of the Kowloon . . . while attending Boston University, I celebrated my 21st Birthday there in 1967!

I bet you feel more like you do now now than you did when you came in.

GH

[ This Message was edited by: GentleHangman 2007-02-25 09:49 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 2:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-02-24 15:44, bigbrotiki wrote:
And when they do, take a close up of that one GREEN Tiki which is the only detail NOT copied directly from the classic Eugene Savage menus. Post it on this page, and you will see WHERE it comes from...-though we will never know how and why.....it's a so-called mural mystery.

I think you're talking about this one Sven. From Damon's in Glendale - these were taken last week on my visit to California. Some of the best murals I've ever seen:

These are along the wall in the main dining room:

This one is along the back wall as you're exiting the restaurant:

The Hukilau

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki_kiliki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 2:59 pm   Permalink

Here's a few more.

These are from Julians in Ormond Beach, FL - the shots are not too good but the mural just about covers the back half of the restaurant. It's truly amazing.

This one is a sighting off of US1 just blocks from the Mai Kai. A friend called me as the demolition was taking place and told me to get over there and take pictures. This was an old hotel and this mural must have been painted around the pool area. Very nicely done. I was literally asked to leave the property but not before my zoom action caught these photos:

The World of Tiki Kiliki

[ This Message was edited by: tiki_kiliki 2007-02-25 15:01 ]

View Profile of tiki_kiliki Send a personal message to tiki_kiliki  Email tiki_kiliki Goto the website of tiki_kiliki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackFish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-25 3:29 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:12 ]

View Profile of BlackFish Send a personal message to BlackFish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 6:56 pm   Permalink

Yes, great addition to this thread! That last mural work looks very contemporary, Tiki revival style. But the Julians mural: A classic! I cannot think of another mural of that size still in existence today. Amazing!

And sooooo....WHAT now IS the "mural mystery" that I am alluding to in my above post? Look and compare, what does the keen eye of the urban archeologist notice in the Damons mural, in comparison too.......?

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 8:05 pm   Permalink

Cool. The green tiki is a mural version of the tiki pole at the Kona Kai in Philadelphia (seen above on the same page in this thread).

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BlackFish
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-02-25 8:37 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: BlackFish 2009-09-08 04:15 ]

View Profile of BlackFish Send a personal message to BlackFish      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-25 11:05 pm   Permalink

Indeed! The mystery is: How does a Tiki design that is from around 1960 pop up in the the reproduction of a 1930s mural?
We can only guess that the artist who executed the mural sometime in the early 70s had also worked with the architectural firm of Armet and Davis, who from their Los Angeles offices designed restaurants nationwide. They did some of the Stephen Crane Kon-Tikis (like Montreal and Portland) and also the Marriot Kona Kais, among them the Chicago and Philadelphia ones.

So the mural artist felt a Tiki needed to be added (always a good notion), and used the blueprint below (or a photo, or a rendering) from the Kona Kai job. Why he chose GREEN is a different mystery!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation