FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 2:00 pm   Permalink

C'mon y'all get it together down there. This thread is all over the place: "it sucks, it's dead" to "food and drinks were on target".

Has the store management changed that drastically from the first year? They had a great crew when we did the first big Tejas Tikiphile gathering that I flew down for.

Granted, allowing hip-hoppers to rent the place out is a major blunder that I am sure corporate would not be happy about (can you say "negative impact to brand image"). Is it time to start e-mailing the folks in TV management yet?

[ This Message was edited by: rugbymatt 2009-07-01 14:12 ]

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 2:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-01 14:00, rugbymatt wrote:
C'mon y'all get it together down there. This thread is all over the place: "it sucks, it's dead" to "food and drinks were on target".

Has the store management changed that drastically from the first year? They had a great crew when we did the first big Tejas Tikiphile gathering that I flew down for.

Granted, allowing hip-hoppers to rent the place out is a major blunder that I am sure corporate would not be happy about (can you said negative impact to brand image). Is it time to start e-mailing the folks in TV management yet?

All good points...

Yes, management AND partial ownership has changed. The people with some sort of vision are long gone.

Branding is something I brought up to them before and I don't know anything about running a business. Think they'd listen to ME?

My last visit was about 2 weeks ago and the new chef and GM had just started. Hopefully the improved food will continue.

I tend to be the one bitching about Dallas TV more than anyone. I probably take it too personally. I have a very special attachment to this place and can't stand it when I see them moving in the wrong direction.

I don't like the vibe anymore. It's a beautiful place, but it's not an escape.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 6:25 pm   Permalink

Are they still playing Gilligans Island on the TV's at the bar?

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-01 7:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-01 18:25, rugbymatt wrote:
Are they still playing Gilligans Island on the TV's at the bar?

They used to play episodes of Gilligan's Island and Hawaii 5-0 plus old Frankie & Annette movies. That ended about 6 months ago. Now it's ESPN or whatever game the Bud Lite crowd wants to watch.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-12 11:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-06-28 14:20, surfalaia wrote:
"...the bartender made me a drink that is not on the menu. I think she called it a Hendrick's Special. It had Hendrick's gin, Pimm's, and muddled cucumber. I'm certain there was more to it, but I had been there awhile so my memory is a bit foggy. I do remember that it was DELICIOUS. Be sure to try it out during your next visit."

I was there last Tuesday with my wife and 5 friends from our marina, and I tried one ("You mean a Hendrick's Delight?" she asked). You're right, it was great, with quite an unexpected taste, for a cocktail..., very "fresh", in a cucumber-y way. BTW, she a muddled an orange slice, peel and all, too.
I was happy to notice that the dining room was very full, that night. I asked, and the bartendress said they had a party of 70.
The lounge was about a third full, too - better than when I met you, there. And the $3 Mai Tais still tasted fine.
I'm trying to get another group from the marina to go, on Tues., the 21st. We'll see...

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-07-14 08:14 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-16 4:57 pm   Permalink

Half price Gift Certificates for Dallas Trader Vic's:

http://wbap.incentrev.com/index.cfm?action=offer&offerid=7124

Get them while you can...they're only selling 100.

AND use them soon. Remember what happened in Bellevue?

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2009-07-17 04:50 ]

telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-18 9:18 pm   Permalink

Okay, okay. Is the food and drinks all over the place. In a word... yes!

My wife, her brother and his wife, and I all dined tonight at the restaurant. We had a great time... despite the fact that

1. The Samoan Fog Cutter was served in a Tiki Bowl. Try picking one of those up.
2. There were no long straws for communal drinks, hence we couldn't order communal drinks.
3. The Chilean Sea Bass was not served in the Chinesse ovens as is traditionally done in the other restaurants.
4. The restaurant doesn't serve Bongo Bongo soup.
5. No flaming skull drinks.

Now for the good news. The food was great and the Navy Grogs were outstanding. The ambiance is a 10. The wait staff were super friendly and the evening was a hit with everyone.

But, yes, they are having trouble getting a few things right. The manager's response to my querries was that TV wanted a little experimentation and that the ovens were too tempermental to be trusted with cooking all of the food. He said future TV's would not use the ovens at all.

The place was fairly full for a Saturday night at 8 p.m.

I'd go back in a heart beat.

Despite the traffic.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-16 16:57, Kenike wrote:
Half price Gift Certificates for Dallas Trader Vic's:

http://wbap.incentrev.com/index.cfm?action=offer&offerid=7124

Get them while you can...they're only selling 100.

Dang!
I got the one I ordered in the mail, and checked, yesterday to see how many more were left. About 50. Plenty of time to order more...
Didn't check my email till this afternoon, so missed the morning email announcement that they were now 1/2 of 1/2 price - $12.50 for a $50 gift cert! Of course, they're sold out.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 11:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-07-18 21:18, telescopes wrote:
"...We had a great time... despite the fact that... the restaurant doesn't serve Bongo Bongo soup..."

The Bongo Bongo is back-o-back!

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-06 11:06 ]

telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 6:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-06 11:04, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Quote:

On 2009-07-18 21:18, telescopes wrote:
"...We had a great time... despite the fact that... the restaurant doesn't serve Bongo Bongo soup..."

The Bongo Bongo is back-o-back!

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-06 11:06 ]

WTF! Why, o' why now? Couldn't they have brought it back last month when I was there? That's exactly what I ordered when I visited for supper.

BTW, have they resupplied up on their mugs. I got my Samoan served in a kava bowl.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 6:25 pm   Permalink

Actually, I got the news about the Bongo Bongo from their Facebook page.
After you left us, that night, we wound up talking to the accounting person. She mentioned that the B.B. soup would be back, but it might be when the weather cooled - hot soup is less desired in 100 degree weather, she reasoned. I guess they must have had enough inquiries to make them bump the schedule.
As for the mugs, I don't know if they've resupplied. Lately, I've tended to go on Tuesdays, for the $3 Mai Tais - no special mugs involved. I did notice a few Samoan Fogcutter mugs on the shelf, but these may be what they already had. Tuesdays are a slow night. Maybe their supply of 3 or 4 was exhausted, when you were there on the weekend. Funny... I'll bet many here have their home bars better stocked with Trader Vic's mugs.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-06 18:36 ]

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 6:44 pm   Permalink

The Fogcutter mug is probably THE most stolen mug after the skull mug. I know they struggle to keep their supplies in stock and never get the quantity they order.

Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 6:56 pm   Permalink

Well, they oughta license those mugs to Tiki Farm, and let the franchisees order from them. Bet they'd manage to fully fill each order.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-06 7:18 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-01-22 22:31 ]

telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-07 1:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-06 18:25, Limbo Lizard wrote:
I'll bet many here have their home bars better stocked with Trader Vic's mugs.

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-08-06 18:36 ]

If the truth be told, my home bar is fairly well stocked with TV items; however, all were purchased or given as gifts by the management. Imagine, drinking your mai tai from a rum barrel.

Honestly, though, do you think Tiki Farms could do something other than a brown glaze?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation