FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-09 3:13 pm   Permalink

Rats! We won a music battle, a couple weeks ago, but the struggle goes on...
Monica and I went again, this last Tuesday. Possibly noteworthy: This time, manager Jason was there.
And,... we were back to Rasta Vic's Parrothead Lounge.
(Sigh)

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Kahu
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-10-10 10:58 am   Permalink

I'm meeting up with a friend and Kenike after 5 p.m. today at TV's, so any TC'ers in the area are welcome to join in for a libation or three!

GK

Tied by my Mai Tai...

View Profile of Grand Kahu Send a personal message to Grand Kahu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-11 6:02 pm   Permalink

I must say things are looking up...

The deal with the music is they play the Hawaiian/Exotica mix during what's considered "prime time." When the late-nite SMU unappreciative Raspberry Mohito drinkers storm the place (usually after 10:30), they switch over to the roller disco schlock. I'm usually gone by then anyway...that's long after happy hour. This all went into affect after Limbo Lizard's last visit. Having appropriate music really made a world of difference.

BUT...

Sports still on TV and the sports bar next door has closed. Can't use that excuse anymore...(why have sports on when there's a sports bar next door??)

No bad food experiences to report, and the drinks...I only had two Zombies and a Mai Tai last night and they were fine.

They're once again serving brunch on Sundays. This time it's REAL brunch..not just a scaled down version of the dinner menu. Entrees include selections like Eggs Benedict, Filet Mignon & eggs, Creme Brulee French Toast, Trader's Lox & Bagel, Seared Ahi BLT, tomato bisque... Haven't tried any of it yet though.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2009-10-11 18:17 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hazmania
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-15 08:01 am   Permalink

I'm still boycotting based on my experience three weeks ago (see previous.) The Manager did pass on my written complaint to the chef. He offered one free appetizer and dessert and to "personally prepare" my paid entrees the next time I come to make up for the lousy $700 birthday meal they gave our party. The scary part of his response was that he witnessed the raw steak but didn't re-fire or check it before it went out the SECOND time. He also stated that he was aware of dessert's problem and was in the process of changing the recipe. Why leave bad items on the menu and why not exercise some quality control?

View Profile of hazmania Send a personal message to hazmania  Email hazmania     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-27 08:05 am   Permalink

The last time Ms. Austin_Tiki and I hit up TVs, it was insanely busy. That was about 2-3 months ago, on a Saturday night. Our party snagged the last handful of chairs in Hinky Dink's. It was that way from the time we got there (about 8 pm) until we left (after midnight). The music wasn't great, but for the most part the patrons were enjoying drinks and conversation, not the flat screens (which are really too few and too small to draw a purpose-minded sports bar crowd).

The drinks were excellent, although the Navy Grog was slightly watery. The service was inattentive, however. We did manage to turn a DFW-area couple onto the place, and they've been back several times since our last visit.

It sounds like business is picking up, which I'm glad to hear. I appreciate the push for some authentic exotica, even if it only happens during specific time slots. If that time slot becomes a peak business hour, it will push management to expand it and maybe one day do away with the pop/techno shit altogether. Since I don't typically have the luxury of choosing the day and time of our visits, I'll just have to resign myself to politely suggesting that Martin Denny or Gene Rains would be a much better musical choice for the venue.

[ This Message was edited by: Austin_Tiki 2009-10-27 08:05 ]

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-02 4:17 pm   Permalink

Noticed they've finally re-done the website. All that tedious, disfunctional Flash animation is gone. You can download the menus, again. Overall, better, in that it is functional - but some of the new copy is still a bit cringe-making: "Kooky Drinks", as a cocktail category?

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-11-02 16:19 ]

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bkahlich

Posted: 2009-11-02 6:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Limbo - thanks for the mention - we redid their site! Sometimes Flash is NOT the way to go...
As for the text - well, we did base it on their menu...
Take care,
bkahlich
beth@wsiinternetworks.com
http://www.wsiinternetworks.com

Quote:

On 2009-11-02 16:17, Limbo Lizard wrote:
Noticed they've finally re-done the website. All that tedious, disfunctional Flash animation is gone. You can download the menus, again. Overall, better, in that it is functional - but some of the new copy is still a bit cringe-making: "Kooky Drinks", as a cocktail category?

[ This Message was edited by: Limbo Lizard 2009-11-02 16:19 ]

View Profile of bkahlich Send a personal message to bkahlich  Goto the website of bkahlich     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-14 4:11 pm   Permalink

Sitting at the bar right now and NOT hearing the Hawaiian/Exotica mix. Well that was fun while it lasted.

They're also having glassware shortages again. My mai tai came in a tumbler and Grande Kahu's mai tai was in a scorpion glass. Looking at the mugs behind the bar it was obvious they're running out of everything. All mugs and glassware will eventually wear out and break but the vast majority fall victim to the kleptos. I guess the good part of that is they could very well end up in local garage sales and maybe TV can buy them back from the people who stole them.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2009-11-15 08:15 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 10:10 am   Permalink

"Buffalo soldier, dreadlock rasta
He was a buffalo soldier, in the heart of America
Stolen from Africa, brought to America..."

"One love, one heart
Let's get together, and feel all right!"

"Red, red wine, stay close to me..."

What does all this have to do with Dallas Trader Vic's?
That what I'd like to know!

Dreadlock Rasta Vic

We just went for our anniversary (it actually fell on Mai Tai Tuesday, this year). We had dinner at the bar,... and listened to lots of Bob Marley, and some other "Easy Reggae" tunes. On the upside, we got excellent, VIP-treatment from the bartenders, the drinks and food were all good, and they comped each of us a choice from the drink menu.
Plus, Mrs. Tropical Icebergs was there with two friends, and she treated us to a round, when she heard it was our anniversary (Thanks again, Victoria!).
Overall, we had a very enjoyable evening, so I can't really complain about the music too much. (Besides, I'm afraid my wife was kinda liking the reggae, anyway )

Pablofiesta

Posted: 2009-11-19 1:55 pm   Permalink

I was in recently after a long long absence and the music definitely improved during my groups visit! I've also noticed they've been updating their facebook and twitter pages more frequently and responding to complaints and suggestions. Looks like they are finally listening Don't know the fb and twit links, got it off the new website.

View Profile of Pablofiesta Send a personal message to Pablofiesta      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 2:11 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-01-22 22:36 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-19 2:32 pm   Permalink

I am all for educating the public, and against sinking to the level of the public's ignorance, as the media likes to do (case in point: reality shows), but we ARE a minority. Do you know how many average Joes dining or drinking at the place might have complained about that "weird elevator muzak" being piped in? Maybe little table cards with an alluring Exotica girl on them, and a brief text a la "You are listening to EXOTICA, a musical genre that originated in Hawaii as the perfect complement to the tropical environs...." would enlighten people.

For you and me it all comes together when we enter an authentic Tiki bar and Exotica are playing (AND the cocktails are done right!), but IF the general customer notices the music, I doubt he/she can make that leap of faith from today's pop music to Mr. Denny and Co. And management has to go for the majority to survive.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Vic's_Dallas

Posted: 2009-11-20 08:07 am   Permalink

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that we are running a promotion on Facebook. If we get to 5000 fans by the end of the year, we're going to give one fan a fully paid private party for 50! I've included the link to our page below. Also, we wanted to thank all the enthusiast here for your tiki love and honesty! This forum and others like it are a great insight for us. Please keep sharing what you love about the place and even what you love less.

Thanks again!

http://www.facebook.com/tradervicdallas

View Profile of Trader_Vic's_Dallas Send a personal message to Trader_Vic's_Dallas  Goto the website of Trader_Vic's_Dallas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-21 5:40 pm   Permalink

The iPod with the Exotica / Hawaiian music on it was stolen...that's why it hasn't been playing lately.

Folks...especially locals...we need to support this place as much as we can. The clock is ticking...

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-22 08:51 am   Permalink

That sucks! The same thing happened to mine, at my house, at my son's 17th birthday party. Those things are just to easy to slip into the pocket. And not that cheap to be easily replaced.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation