FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-09 2:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-02 08:47, TxTikiGirl wrote:
....and when are we going to loot the place?

Good question. Any intel on a potential auction or sell-off, Kenike?

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 2:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-09 09:38, Bohemiann wrote:
... Sorry to take him Dallas but, Thanks for Shane, He is great !

Don't apologize, Bohemiann... glad he's doing good for someone...

Someone just posted on TV Dallas'
Facebook page:
"They are closed for good, spoke with a waiter who used to work there!!! Interesting story, very sad news!"

Of course, "a waiter who used to work there" may not be the ultimate authority, but it sounds in line with our suspicions. Not sure if there's more to that "interesting story", beyond what we all ready know.

Waiting on Kenike to post what he's found out... but he's probably too busy loading up a U-Haul with stuff he bought at an auction that he forgot to mention

...or, from a big dumpster outside a remodeling job

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 3:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-09 14:05, Austin_Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2010-02-02 08:47, TxTikiGirl wrote:
....and when are we going to loot the place?

Good question. Any intel on a potential auction or sell-off, Kenike?

Quote:

On 2010-02-09 14:29, Limbo Lizard wrote:

Someone just posted on TV Dallas' Facebook page:
"They are closed for good, spoke with a waiter who used to work there!!! Interesting story, very sad news!"

Of course, "a waiter who used to work there" may not be the ultimate authority, but it sounds in line with our suspicions. Not sure if there's more to that "interesting story", beyond what we all ready know.

Waiting on Kenike to post what he's found out... but he's probably too busy loading up a U-Haul with stuff he bought at an auction that he forgot to mention

...or, from a big dumpster outside a remodeling job

Ha ha ...yeah I wish.

Ok here's the news...I was about to post some info anyway...

They're closed and they're not coming back. I didn't want to be the one give the "official" word here or on FB because I've been waiting for someone from Dallas TV to "officially" deliver that news. They never did and now it's out there anyway so...done.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-02-22 13:45 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 4:29 pm   Permalink

Kenike,

So sorry to hear that Dallas Vic's is closing their doors...again. Well at least I spent one hell of a weekend there with the Tejas Ohana. Mahalo for the memories!

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 5:37 pm   Permalink

Thank you Kenike and to all the Texas Tikiphiles for helping it stay open as long as it did. You guys really bent over backwards doing the right thing. Even though I never made it I knew that if I ever did it would be much better if you guys were there at the same time.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 6:51 pm   Permalink

Well put, Boris. That is so sad. After such a classic history: Went down as Tiki Style went down, but was preserved in a time warp as a religious cult took over the building...then rediscovered by the Tiki revival, a shining example of a classic Tiki haven...which turned out to be too esoteric for the restaurant going public, especially in a time of economic woes.
And I have never been! Rats!

That fashion catalogue spread ist still some of the best contemporary Tiki Lounge photography I ever saw. Thank you Kenike for all your work, you really maneuvered the slings and arrows (errors?) wisely and with exemplary patience!
(And thank you for those cool Molokai Mike glasses (and the x-tra!). I asked mix master Berry, and he did not think much of that cocktail, but noted that the Kon-Tiki's RAIN KILLER in Sippin Safari page 128/129 is also at home in that glass.)

And all this in post-BOT times! Sigh...I have to face the fact that though my work has effected some reprieve for battered classic Tiki temples, it often is borrowed time only, with the historic Vic's of Chicago and Beverly Hills and now Dallas going down.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 7:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone for your kind words. As I stated a few posts back, the Dallas closing was much anticipated, so by the time they closed for real I was already thinking about ways I can help preserve it's memory.

The Texas and Dallas tikiphiles deserve a round of applause for supporting this TV's even during the "bad food and disco" months. The old adage "support your local tiki bar" comes to mind. I think we did as much as we could.

The fashion catalog spread Bigbro mentioned
can be found here.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-06-25 15:20 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 9:03 pm   Permalink

I'm speechless. I honestly don't know what to say. I mean, I knew it would come the day this would happen, but I thought it would after "one more round" of the Texas tikiphile gathering. I'm stunned. I think it's time for some of the good rum (wink-wink). I want the others to know that even though TV is gone, it doesn't mean we still can't gather.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-09 9:05 pm   Permalink

I do want to thank Kenike for all of his hard work over the years not in just archiving everything, but also doing an awesome job at coordinating our gatherings. Many Mahalos to you brother. I need to make a "Kenike" drink to go in the Halinekonu Hideaway.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-10 08:38 am   Permalink

Awful news on the closing. TV's was a little piece of heaven.

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TxTikiGirl
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-11 10:13 am   Permalink

Now where am I supposed to have my birthday dinner? This is so sad...

View Profile of TxTikiGirl Send a personal message to TxTikiGirl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 5:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-02-09 15:32, Kenike wrote:
"... because there is currently no one taking over the space just yet, they're not in any hurry to gut the place."

What if...
I know it's just a dream, but what if...
... because of the rotten economy, no one has any interest in putting money into a new restaurant in that space. Then, before they gut Vic's, the whole development, hotel and all, succumbs to the economy, and closes. Then a wealthy cult buys everything... and we wait.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 5:19 pm   Permalink

Genius. It would be Tiki re-evolution! Like putting the time machine into reverse! By the time it re-opens (around 2030) there will be a "Mad Men" revival, and all the customers are going to wear 60s outfits, and Trader Vic will awake from his Cryonic sleep and.....wait, that was Walt Disney...damn.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-11 5:21 pm   Permalink

Great one, Brian. Maybe the Maharishi can buy it back cheap!

Rumbuddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-02-11 5:24 pm   Permalink

I know you told us so but I can't believe it anyway. I am crying now.
Suzanne

View Profile of Rumbuddy Send a personal message to Rumbuddy  Email Rumbuddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation