FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Dallas, TX (restaurant)
Ratzaroony
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-04 07:08 am   Permalink

Damn, Trader Vic's have some of the coolest looking menus

View Profile of Ratzaroony Send a personal message to Ratzaroony  Email Ratzaroony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deckhand_Davy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-03-05 9:27 pm   Permalink

Yayyy! thanks for the speedy shipping on the menu Kenike!! I hope that I get it before Sat...My brother is going to go ape wild when he's sees this beauty!

View Profile of Deckhand_Davy Send a personal message to Deckhand_Davy  Goto the website of Deckhand_Davy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-25 12:56 pm   Permalink

The wife and I hit Trader Vic's a couple months ago. We had a great time, as usual. However, it seems that the price drop for mai tais has been accompanied by a dip in quality. The bartender used the cheap Trader Vic's rum and only a half-lime's worth of juice. It was disappointing - the mai tais I make at home with Appleton's Extra and a full ounce of lime juice are much better. Fortunately, the other drinks we had (zombie, tiki puka-puka, navy grog) were great.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 3:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-25 12:56, BrickHorn wrote:
The wife and I hit Trader Vic's a couple months ago. We had a great time, as usual. However, it seems that the price drop for mai tais has been accompanied by a dip in quality. The bartender used the cheap Trader Vic's rum and only a half-lime's worth of juice. It was disappointing - the mai tais I make at home with Appleton's Extra and a full ounce of lime juice are much better. Fortunately, the other drinks we had (zombie, tiki puka-puka, navy grog) were great.

That's actually how they've always made them in Dallas (Scottsdale too). The Trader Vic's rum is a blend but I'm not entirely sure what it is. They've always used juice from half a lime plus the mix. Not exactly the "original" recipe but it's the version that they've done for some time. I have to agree, the ones I make at home are much better...when I can find St. James Martinique extra-old which is rare around Dallas.

The Navy Grog is an exceptional drink and I always order those after 7pm (when $5 Zombies are over).

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-06-26 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-06-26 15:46, Kenike wrote:
Quote:

That's actually how they've always made them in Dallas (Scottsdale too). The Trader Vic's rum is a blend but I'm not entirely sure what it is. They've always used juice from half a lime plus the mix. Not exactly the "original" recipe but it's the version that they've done for some time. I have to agree, the ones I make at home are much better...when I can find St. James Martinique extra-old which is rare around Dallas.

The Navy Grog is an exceptional drink and I always order those after 7pm (when $5 Zombies are over).

I'm pretty sure the first one I had there was much more similar to the original recipe. But I had that one before the place had opened; maybe they've gone to the cheaper formula since then.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blixathecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-13 8:14 pm   Permalink

I have to agree. Once the price dropped on the Mai Tai's (my fav) we noticed a quality difference. It seemed less flavorful. We commented on it and they made us another, which was much better. Of course, we've had to reorder several times this summer. Still, it's the best Tiki spot in Dallas. =)

Blixathecat

Quote:

View Profile of blixathecat Send a personal message to blixathecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Deckhand_Davy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-08-15 7:09 pm   Permalink

Million dollar mai-tai recipe, baby! The only one my bar knows

View Profile of Deckhand_Davy Send a personal message to Deckhand_Davy  Goto the website of Deckhand_Davy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-11 6:40 pm   Permalink

Lots of changes at Dallas Trader Vic's.

Menu changes...food has definitely improved, appetizers are better, closed on Mondays, DJ Friday & Saturday. And also...SPORTS. That's right sports fans, come grab a Bud Light and yell and scream at the TV while college football blares from all 3 TV screens. Kenike pays his bar tab and quietly leaves... BTW, there's a real sports bar right next door literally inches away. There's talk of putting in a wide screen TV...oooh, don't 'spose we'll be watching Hawaiian Eye on that!!

I made friends with the DJ...he's a big Ultra Lounge fan and digs Martin Denny, so I give him full approval. The music that plays when he's not around, however....is moodkiller a word?

Sunday brunch will be starting soon, (not really "brunch," just opening at 11am) and they finally have a kids menu. Great news for parents like myself. Now you can also munch on complimentary nuts at the bar while you're waiting for your veggie egg rolls which are DELICIOUS. The Won Ton soup and Crab Rangoon have also been updated and are very, very good.

IN conclusion......we'll see.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2010-11-22 15:53 ]

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-13 1:08 pm   Permalink

Ken, very nice photos, you just can't beat the look of the original lamps!

I just found this vintage shot on the internet, does Dallas have it, or do you know the source?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-14 10:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-05-13 13:08, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ken, very nice photos, you just can't beat the look of the original lamps!

I just found this vintage shot on the internet, does Dallas have it, or do you know the source?

I've seen that picture and even forwarded to the consultants that are currently working on revitalizing Dallas. Don't know the source. I sure wish I could get my hands on a high-res copy of that.

Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 07:36 am   Permalink

Consultants are gone...apparently so is the DJ.

I voiced my concerns, told them honestly what I thought was right or wrong. I was asked lots of questions, gave lots of suggestions, but basically told I don't represent the typical customer.

Some of the food improved, then took a giant leap backwards. The menu is different almost every time I visit. The new, beautifully presented calamari (with tempura spinach and red peppers) that I was raving to everyone about a few weeks ago has turned into some kind of deep fried bait served on a lettuce leaf with spicy mango sauce that tastes like it was scraped off the bottom of the chinese oven.

No Bongo Bongo soup? Really? That's a TV staple. I'm told it's removal is only temporary.

The ship is now being steered by accountants and real estate agents. No one seems to have a clear vision.

Four different bar managers in the last 12 months. None of which are still there. Drinks are still good when they can keep the garnishes in stock. A Navy Grog isn't a Navy Grog without the rock candy stick.

New GM starting this week.

See it while you can. I'd like to stay optimistic but it's becoming more difficult.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 09:22 am   Permalink

Oh crap! Wonder what Trader Vic's corporate thinks, and is doing about this! So was the place not doing enough business? I bet it got hit bad by the economy slump. Whatever is happening must mean it was loosing money, so they felt they had to make changes. But that is not the place's fault, it is the current climate, people just don't spend 12.- bucks on cocktails right now. At least not as often, and regularly. But they WILL again!

There is no quick fix for that, their constant changes sound scary, how is that supposed to be good for business. I hope they don't make any rash decisions about the decor, which has nothing to do with the downturn. It is still what people want, an escape. As a matter of fact, that's what they should advertise it as: Escape from the realities of the real world for a couple of hours!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-07 4:32 pm   Permalink

You said it!! Those changes don't sound good at all!!
Four Bar Managers in the past year is bad news! All the places around here that are not doing well and eventually close go through the exact same thing.
Either they (Bar managers) are having their hands tied and can't do what needs to be done or they see that there might not be any hope so abandon ship. I don't think you can have accountants and real estate agents running a restaurant.

Hope it hangs in there as the photos make this location look awesome!!
Hopefully I can get out there one day. Keep supporting it and suggesting things to the managers until I get out there all you Texans!!

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-08 12:45 pm   Permalink

It's so many different things. The weak spot is definitely the kitchen. The food is a little overpriced and inconsistent at times. They keep changing the menu around. First it's good, then really good, then horrible. Now when I order I have to show a picture on my phone of what it looked like the last time so I have an idea of what I'm ordering..."does it still look like this?". I'm speaking mostly of the appetizers since that's usually all I eat at the bar.

Drink prices range from $7.00 to around $12.00, with $5.00 specials going on until 7:00 (Mai Tai's are $3.00 on Tuesdays). If you ask me, the bar is understaffed. On really busy nights they struggle to stay on top of things and you might be waiting a while for your drink. They did just hire one new person who I haven't really gotten to know yet. They also just fired the bar manager, who in my opinion would have been the death of TV. He didn't understand the history of TV, didn't care, and free poured EVERYTHING. Bad attitude, nasty know it all. I didn't like him one bit and NEVER let him make any of my drinks. Good riddance. Grande Kahu has a funny Navy Grog story about that clown.

Ownership went from two guys to one guy, and Trader Vic's is apparently the only business he owns that can make money. That seems to be what his main focus is. GM's are in and out, and there's a brand new one coming to town this week. There were some consultants in for a while and made some changes, both good and bad, but they're gone now too.The economy has certainly hurt a business that was already hurting. A lot of corporate events were canceled and that took a big bite out of their sales.

Still, the one thing that's really lacking is VISION. Keeping sports on TV and playing Latin Underground music while serving a flaming Dr. Funk's Son shows a lack of vision. Sorry, but I'm there for the escapism. Sports on TV attracts the Bud Lite crowd who yell and scream when there's a touchdown. That completely ruins the experience for me. There really is a sports bar right next to Trader Vic's. They'd only have to stagger maybe 5 steps to get there.

Trying to attract more college kids to come hang out every weekend shows a lack of vision (since when do college kids have that kind of discretionary income anyway?). They need to stop trying to be all things to all people and focus on what they are...an ESCAPE. They don't sell mugs anymore, or T-Shirts, no matchbooks or ANYTHING that someone can take home after an evening at Trader Vic's. Brand recognition has HUGE importance and it's just been sitting on the back burner. I've approached them more times than I can count saying things like "Have you thought about..." They genuinely listen to what I say, but they know I'm just the resident tikiphile, and 98% of their customers don't really care or even notice that the front doors are upside down (yes, they really are). They haven't done much in trying to attract the tiki community either. Not that it's huge in Dallas, but it certainly could be. What's wrong with giving 10% off if you wear a Hawaiian shirt? They're already giving 25% off if you mention their Facebook page.

Dallas Trader Vic's is a treasure. There's so much history, so much nostalgia, so much TIKI, and they don't seem to really notice what they have in their hands.

Be what you are. Have a vision and stick to it.

[ This Message was edited by: Kenike 2009-06-09 15:38 ]

Austin_Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-06-08 1:00 pm   Permalink

This is not good news. I recommend Vic's to everyone I know in Dallas, but I can't keep sending them there and apologizing for uninformed servers and the disappearance from the menu of drinks and food I've recommended. It's hard enough talking them into trying a bar that specializes in tropical cocktails. Living down to their expectations only justifies their initial skepticism.

Maybe genuine, well-done Poly Pop escapism just isn't a viable business model anymore. It's expensive, but it's also exclusive in the sense that offering generic bar/restaurant fare like draft beer, flat-screen TVs, kids' menus and rock/pop music ruins the atmosphere. My feeling on Vic's is that most people would enjoy it as a very occasional destination for special events, but would be uncomfortable or unhappy with it as a regular haunt. Can the place really rely on local tikiphiles to stay afloat? The Dallas TV's constant menu-shifting and experimentation with drink prices and offerings makes me believe that they've decided that an authentic midcentury tiki experience doesn't have enough draw.

With the positive press of the past few years, I think we all got our hopes up for a tiki revival that may never come to fruition. Popular tastes have become watered down. And the whole idea of restaurant dining has changed: it's no longer about a unique, special experience as much as eating and drinking for convenience. If the bar down the street offers $5 pitchers of your favorite beer and will play the Rangers game on a giant flatscreen, why in the hell would you pay $12 for a fruit juice drink in a dark bar playing instrumental music with bird sounds? Unfornately, I believe that's how the vast majority of the consuming public thinks. On some level, it makes a lot of sense. But it sucks for us.

View Profile of Austin_Tiki Send a personal message to Austin_Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation