FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Orange Liquor Throwdown Challenge
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 04:01 am   Permalink

Given that Vic used such quality ingredients in the original Mai Tai, I'd have to wonder if the DeKuyper was the same - or if the DeKuyper quality has suffered over the years.

As to a margarita, I'm dying to try the Patron Citronge in one. The extra burst of taste in the Patron should be a great match to tequila.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 04:04 am   Permalink

As to Cointreau vs Senior, there is also a distinct taste difference and a strength difference. The Senior taste more of sweeter oranges (but still bitter) whereas the Cointreau tastes more of bitter orange. The Senior is also a much milder orange taste than the Cointreau. Both are very natural-tasting.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-29 06:05 am   Permalink

This is interesting, a review on Orangela Orange Liqueur:
http://www.spiritsreview.com/reviews-liqueur-orangela.htm

I'll have to look out for this one. Sounds very promising.

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 11:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-29 04:01, Scottes wrote:
Given that Vic used such quality ingredients in the original Mai Tai, I'd have to wonder if the DeKuyper was the same - or if the DeKuyper quality has suffered over the years.

As to a margarita, I'm dying to try the Patron Citronge in one. The extra burst of taste in the Patron should be a great match to tequila.

I would imagine that DeKuyper has changed ownership, and the quality suffered. Back in the 40's, I wouldn't think that the use of chemicals was as widespread as it is today. I have no proof of that, just sort of my gut feeling.

Here's my latest report:
I've been using Triple Sec in my Mai Tais for the last few days. It's just regular old Dekuyper brand, and I usually use Dekuyper Curacao. I found that the triple sec seems to make for a sweeter drink overall. I'm going to try using Cointreau tonight. Maybe I'll get a review posted of the result. Isn't Cointreau a high-end triple sec? I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Cointreau is a family name, and triple sec is the name of the liqueur that they were making. I believe that they dropped triple sec from their name in order to prevent it from being confused with all the lesser quality brands that are now available.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 1:20 pm   Permalink

Over on eGullt someone started an "Orange Liqueurs" thread, and I re-posted my comparisons from above. The fact that I called Citronge a Triple Sec started a healthy conversation about definiing the terms "triple sec" and "curacao" and discussing the origins of Cointreau and other such stuff.

Quite interesting, but nobody seems to be finding any real proof. And far too much to re-post or summarize here, so take a look at the thread:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=73859

TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 4:11 pm   Permalink

So does a "triple sec" have to have actually been distilled three times? Some of the information I've seen generally calls Cointreau a high end triple sec, which is something I'd probably agree with, but I'm not sure about the number of times it's distilled, and I know nothing about the way DeKuyper or any other brand produces their triple sec, either.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 7:05 pm   Permalink

Judging by some of the brands using the name "triple sec" I think the only requisite is a label that says "triple sec."

DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-05 08:01 am   Permalink

Yeah, there is no prerequisite to call something Triple Sec on the label (you'd hope there is some orange in there though--or at least some orange artificial flavor).

Look on the bottom shelf and you'll see the plastic bottle rot gut Triple Sec for $4.99.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-05 1:58 pm   Permalink

Well, true. You can call Orange Curacao triple sec, but is it "incorrect" to call Cointreau a type of triple sec? Or is it in a class all it's own?
Anyway, I mixed up a Mai Tai last night with Cointreau instead of the triple sec I've been using the last few weeks. The taste was almost the same, but with the Cointreau instead of cheap DeKuyper triple sec, I noticed a little more alcohol taste/burn. I assume that Cointreau has more alcohol in it than regular old triple sec, but I didn't check the bottles to verify that.
Aside from the extra alcohol (not a bad thing), I thought that the overall drink tasted a little less "chemically-enhanced". It's sort of like the difference between using a fresh squeezed lime juice and the stuff in a bottle. The Cointreau definitely added a cleaner orange flavor to the Mai Tai. I forget how much Cointreau costs, but I'd imagine that it's a little too expensive to use everyday.

DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-05 2:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-05 13:58, TikiJosh wrote:
Well, true. You can call Orange Curacao triple sec, but is it "incorrect" to call Cointreau a type of triple sec? Or is it in a class all it's own?
Anyway, I mixed up a Mai Tai last night with Cointreau instead of the triple sec I've been using the last few weeks. The taste was almost the same, but with the Cointreau instead of cheap DeKuyper triple sec, I noticed a little more alcohol taste/burn. I assume that Cointreau has more alcohol in it than regular old triple sec, but I didn't check the bottles to verify that.
Aside from the extra alcohol (not a bad thing), I thought that the overall drink tasted a little less "chemically-enhanced". It's sort of like the difference between using a fresh squeezed lime juice and the stuff in a bottle. The Cointreau definitely added a cleaner orange flavor to the Mai Tai. I forget how much Cointreau costs, but I'd imagine that it's a little too expensive to use everyday.

Cointreau is 80 proof. Normal Triple Sec can vary from 30 to 60 or so proof.

I have noticed Cointreau has a cleaner orange taste than most other products. It costs more (about $35 a liter), but it is worth it for the clean and fresh taste, especially in cocktails with only 1-2 other clean tasting ingredients.

I can't remember if this has been covered in the post or not, but Vic might have used Orange Curacao because it has a slightly bitter flavor from the Larahas orange peels it is made from. These oranges are quite bitter and are native to the island of Curacao. So Curacao is a little different than Triple Sec or Cointreau in this regard. Vic might have thought the bitterness countered or complemented some of the other ingredients in the drink (maybe the Orgeat)...?

I'm not sure if the Bols Orange Curacao in my collection really is made this way, or if it has succumbed to "modern" production methods...but that's what I use in my Mai Tais. I would love to try Marie Brizard's version, but I haven't had the chance yet.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-05 8:58 pm   Permalink

I have supplies so will experiment and post this weekend. May the best orange win.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-08 07:44 am   Permalink

After all of the hype from some of you about Patron Citron, I picked up a bottle at Trader Joes $17. 750ml. Haven't tried it in a Margarita yet but did make a Mai Tai with it. The curacao makes for a better drink in my book. Will make a Margarita tonight, maybe two with one using a Grand Marnier float with the Patron Citron.
(Is anyone else having trouble finding good limes because of the recent freeze?)

Life is a state of mind

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-04-08 07:48 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 6:40 pm   Permalink

Sorry for the delay. Trader Vic's 90210 closing has taken all my spare time lately. I just found these orange liquors to add to this throw down.
I haven't opened the two from France yet.

I did try the Grand Marquette which like the Grand Chevalier is another Grand Marnier wanna be. Good for drink mixing at 1/3 the cost of the real deal.

[ This Message was edited by: Ojaitimo 2007-05-16 18:48 ]

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 8:15 pm   Permalink

Tim, where are you getting the French ones from?

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-05-16 9:18 pm   Permalink

Actually found these in your area. Bev & More on Sepulveda near Burbank blvd.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation