FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Texas tikiphile gathering at Dallas Trader Vic's May 5th, 2007
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Texas tikiphile gathering at Dallas Trader Vic's May 5th, 2007
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-10 09:02 am   Permalink

GROG! Are you also a movie star (in addition to being a world famous bon vivant)? Or might your expertise be behind the scenes?

And if so, is my old school buddy Jeff Martin (also a Texas boy) working on it? He wrote for many years on the Simpsons (and Letterman, having been a Harvard Lampoon guy, as were 99.9% of all Letterman/Conan/Groening folks).

Further impressed by GROG's worldliness and bummed that GROG can't join us on the 5th,
F

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-10 09:28 am   Permalink

GROG animator, so GROG work behind scenes.

GROG not meet any Simpsons writers, they're in a separate area way far away from the artists. They don't want to hear the artists complain about having to animate so many stupid crowd scenes
(Simpsons at baseball, game, hockey game, concert, town riot, etc).They also don't want to hear the artists complain about how funny the shows were BEFORE they aired on TV. They go over the scripts so many times, then see storyboards, then see the rough animatic, so they get used to their jokes and re-write them putting in less funny jokes, or they have to edit out some of the funniest jokes because the shows are too long. As funny as the Simpsons are on TV, they're even funnier in the rough animatic form before it's animated and colored. But GROG digress.

Yes, it too bad GROG can't join you guys at the Trade Vics in Dallas, the pics of the place look great. Have fun. Hopefully next time GROG out that way, GROG can meet up with Texas Tikiphiles.

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-10 10:33 am   Permalink

Rats!
I was hoping to see a certain familiar, sexy caveman do a scene with Marge - or maybe with one of her sisters, as a sister's new boyfriend, maybe?

But I digress from Dallas Trader Vic's and the party....

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CallDon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-11 5:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-13 08:00, Kenike wrote:
Cinco de Mayo!!

May 5th is the day of our official gathering of Texas Tikiphiles at Trader Vic’s in Dallas.

Details are still being worked out, but the plan is for everyone to arrive and meet at the bar between 5:00 and 7:00 with dinner starting around 7:00.

At this point, I will plan to also be there, unless I get a paying gig that night. If I had a portable organ, I would bring it and play Hawaiian tunes with tacky drum machine rhythms.

Is anyone making name tags? I have a wonderful memory...it's just short.

D*

View Profile of CallDon Send a personal message to CallDon  Email CallDon Goto the website of CallDon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 7:21 pm   Permalink

Great news Calldon! Limbo Lizard is in for dinner as well.

NOW it's looking like a party!

Hmmm, name tags...hadn't thought of that.

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-12 10:41 am   Permalink

Actually I was going to suggest name tages as well, but I haven't been on to mention it. I think it would be a good idea. WE should put both our online name and real name.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Don D'Ablo

Posted: 2007-04-18 09:45 am   Permalink

Howdy,

Don D'Ablo here from Houston. I am friends with Formikahini and interested in joining the meetup. Please put me down for one + guest.

Thanx,
Don

View Profile of Don D'Ablo Send a personal message to Don D'Ablo  Email Don D'Ablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 10:46 am   Permalink

Hooray The-Artist-Don-Diablo-Formerly-Known-as-Robotparts!!
So glad you and Mz Stephanie can make it.
We are turning into QUITE the soiree!

Don Diablo has never come to my house without a supercool gift (not that you're ever required to in the future!).
I'm looking forward to all of y'all getting to meet him and vice versa -
Hell, to all of us getting to meet each other!!!

F

Don D'Ablo

Posted: 2007-04-18 12:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-18 10:46, Formikahini wrote:
Hooray The-Artist-Don-Diablo-Formerly-Known-as-Robotparts!!
So glad you and Mz Stephanie can make it.
We are turning into QUITE the soiree!

Don Diablo has never come to my house without a supercool gift (not that you're ever required to in the future!).
I'm looking forward to all of y'all getting to meet him and vice versa -
Hell, to all of us getting to meet each other!!!

F

Woohoo,

As always, look forward joining the lovely miss Formikahini and meeting some cool Texas Tikiphiles too!

Peace, Love, Little Pink Umbrellas
~ Don D'Ablo

View Profile of Don D'Ablo Send a personal message to Don D'Ablo  Email Don D'Ablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benehune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-23 1:04 pm   Permalink

We can definitely make it. We found a sitter. I can't wait to meet other Texas tikiphiles.

View Profile of Benehune Send a personal message to Benehune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kenike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 1:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-23 13:04, Benehune wrote:
We can definitely make it. We found a sitter. I can't wait to meet other Texas tikiphiles.

Outstanding!

If anyone else is still thinking about coming it's not too late!

View Profile of Kenike Send a personal message to Kenike  Email Kenike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 2:31 pm   Permalink

PremEx is working on joining ya'll, if 'ya don't mind...coming from California by way of Houston. I'll be driving the Houston-Dallas leg if I can mooch a car from a friend and score a decent hotel in Dallas on-the-cheap (on a tight budget these days). So please put me down (Party of 1) as a desperately trying "maybe." Should know for certain in a day or two.

Quote:

On 2007-04-09 22:14, GROG wrote:
GROG wish GROG could join ya'll but GROG will be finishing up this damned Simpsons movie.

Hey GROG...you think you might get some work outta the just announced Simpsons rides at the Universal theme parks?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117963652.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rumbuddy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-24 4:22 pm   Permalink

Woohoo - May 5 will be here before you know it!

My husband and I just spent the weekend in San Antonio for the first 3 days of Fiesta, a ten day reason to party day and night, attending several events and parties. We even made the newspaper and TV news by playing croquet in the rain at the Sticky Wickets event, how funny! So, why in Krakatoa am I telling you this? Because our crazy best friends in San Antonio told us they would come to the Dallas TV May 5 event with us if we went to SA for Fiesta, so, please add two more to the list!

While we were there we attended a Fiesta party at some lady named Cici's home. Wild night with congressmen and the Cavaliers and the King's court (it is a Fiesta thing) and a live rockin' band. Beneath the tallest palm tree, I discovered a memorial shrine to Don Ho, complete with photos, memorabilia and candles. It was sparking lots of memories and conversations.

View Profile of Rumbuddy Send a personal message to Rumbuddy  Email Rumbuddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 4:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-24 14:31, PremEx wrote:
Hey GROG...you think you might get some work outta the just announced Simpsons rides at the Universal theme parks?

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117963652.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

Yes, coming to a theme park near me, it's the Bart-Xeroxes-His-Butt, Homer-Falls-On-Aerosmith ride. Can't wait. (Sarcasm aside, Marge is quite the hottie.)

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PremEx
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 4:30 pm   Permalink

Never mind the day or two posted above...Please count me in!

Party of 1. Hotel confirmed.

FYI...I rolled the dice and did a "Name Your Own Price" on Priceline...and got the Hotel Palomar (where Trader Vic's is located) for only $105! Nets to $128.50 all in with taxes and fees included! Lowest available from the hotel or Travelocity was $219 plus taxes...so a pretty sweet deal. I'm happy.

If anyone else wants to take a gamble to get the same deal...choose only the "Knox-North Park" checkbox for the area of Dallas you're bidding on, and also check off only the "4 Star-Deluxe" box. I had read elsewhere on the internet that someone had failed at $95...but got it at $101 last month. So I bid at $105 and got it! But keep in mind that with the Priceline "Name Your Own Price" option...you could get some other place or nothing. No guarantees. No cancellations or changes. Run of House room.

If you give it a roll...Good Luck!

Looking forward to meeting you all and seeing what looks to be one of the great Trader Vic's out there!

I'm jazzed!

View Profile of PremEx Send a personal message to PremEx      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation