FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Mooney's velvet finished- paintings by pat vassar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
Mooney's velvet finished- paintings by pat vassar
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-21 7:41 pm   Permalink

thanks a lot, Vamp and SnT- all the great words are adding to the mana here. a new one's just begun, i'll put up some begining pics very soon. thanks for the support!

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 10:12 pm   Permalink

so here are some shots of the new piece's progress. not shure of the title yet. any suggestions?

Tahitian Canibal Carvings/Happy Canibals-
something along those lines-
a tribute of sorts to Don the Beachcombers

View Profile of greentikipat Send a personal message to greentikipat  Email greentikipat Goto the website of greentikipat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-26 11:53 pm   Permalink

Great paintings! This one is coming along swell too

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2007-03-27 12:09 am   Permalink

Cool stuff! Tiki, tattoos and monkeys! We needed an airbrush artist in here! I dig your tiki action! Whew, that first painting... is it hot in here or what! Or is that me reading into the art. Speaking of hot... FIRE! always remember that if you are depicting a light source in your painting, it has to the lightest/brightest thing in the scene. (I read that in a Tim Hildebrant book and it helped me) I really really like the Head of MU. I'm so into sea gods and tiki mythology and horror coming together in juicy illos! Fantastic!
And the new cannibal piece is beautiful. NICE shading on the bamboo! Very dimensional. But, are you like using photos of your dog for reference scrap to paint the tikis?
Super stuff! More please!

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Shark Art 2007-03-27 00:13 ]

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 04:48 am   Permalink

I really like this one with the 3 guys on the shelf. The bamboo looks like you could reach out and touch it.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 09:27 am   Permalink

Looking solid! It's cool to see the process too! Thanks!

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 09:31 am   Permalink

thanks a lot kc and hewey! those pics aren't very good, i think my photo nonskills are worsening. daylight is key i think in shooting 2-d art.
TikiShark- man, thanks a lot for the lightsource advise. i've never thought of it quite on that level. taking that in and looking back at them, it seems obvious. right-on! thanks.

Surf tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-03-27 09:36 am   Permalink

Cool...it's like a Tahitian buffet.

View Profile of Surf tiki Send a personal message to Surf tiki  Email Surf tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 9:56 pm   Permalink

hey, cheers Surf n Turf! thanks a lot! well here's some new pics of older pieces and some new in-progress shots. hope everyone digs.

there's the new progress as of tonight.

here's an oldie. 'Moai at Twilight'

still my favorite- 'Tradewinds Bar'-lots of cultural artifacts on this lost island.

greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 10:05 pm   Permalink

suburbanpagen -thank you, don't know why i missed that one. seeing the process unfold is a lot of fun. never realised how much until frequenting this forum. enjoy!

greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 07:07 am   Permalink

so here are some pics of one i did last week for a little gallery show in cal.
any time i had to work on it wasn't enough to shoot progress pics. sorry for that.
it's on a cabinet door, which is what the theme of the show is(doors).
it is a towel rack for the bar or bath. only titled as 'door to paradise'-"towel rack". thanks for looking.

and here is a shot of the bigger one when last i worked on it. i'll be back on it during the weekend.

little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 08:39 am   Permalink

Nice work...You just cook these out so fast! Do you just pencil it in and layer with the airbrush or do you just go for it? Share some o dat magic!
The door one is OOOOOOLALA!
It's great how you can go from dark and terrifying to busy and loud and native to a gentle quiet seashore with lightly laughing wahines....Great! Your paintings speak!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-19 09:01 am   Permalink

Wowzers, that is some good stuff to feed the ol eyeballs! I am a long time fan of the airbrush style and you got it down. I dig your natives and the Wahines. The tikis need no comments because thier coolness speaks for itself. I am lookin' forward to seein' more of the goods you are treatin' us too.

Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hawaiiansnowball
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-19 2:32 pm   Permalink

Really cool artwork - now if I can only get by ass into gear and start painting again!

View Profile of hawaiiansnowball Send a personal message to hawaiiansnowball  Email hawaiiansnowball Goto the website of hawaiiansnowball     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
greentikipat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-20 12:11 am   Permalink

little lost tiki- thanks a lot, man. and thanks for the editing tip.-i always start with a sketch of some kind, either directly on the piece or shot on with a projector.the door was traced on with carbon paper. i wish i could crank them out.doesn't feel like i can. priorities,right? yea, then just layer air and paintbrush. right-on for your close observances-thanks, you make the range sound vast.
Chongolio thank you. i feel like my airbrush skills are just coming around. i own many, but still do almost all of it with a single-action paache. starting to work back into the duels,though. sometime soon, anyway. more on the three cannibals soon. thanks again.
Hawaiiansnowball- thanks man. that first hump after not producing for a while is always the hardest.good luck and show us something soon.

[ This Message was edited by: greentikipat 2007-04-20 00:13 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation