FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Other Crafts » » Tiki-Mania.... A little Dirk Yates goodness by me.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
Tiki-Mania.... A little Dirk Yates goodness by me.
Dirk Yates
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-14 05:53 am   Permalink

Aloha kâkou !!

Killer new work!! Keep them flowing!!!

Dirk

View Profile of Dirk Yates Send a personal message to Dirk Yates  Email Dirk Yates Goto the website of Dirk Yates     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-14 11:44 am   Permalink

Thanks Dirk. Got one in the sketchbook right now that I'm trying to finish, jsut haven't been up to it the past 2 days now. But I'll finish it up soon.

View Profile of TiKiMaN77 Send a personal message to TiKiMaN77  Email TiKiMaN77 Goto the website of TiKiMaN77     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-17 11:08 am   Permalink

So, I started this one a few days ago, but other work got in the way of finishing it. But last night, hoping that the strain on my eyes would tire me out enough to go to bed, I pulled my sketchbook out to work on this, and subsequently finish it once and for all, which took me about 3 hours since I had to change some things around.

Didn't throw a tiki into this one obviously, but I'm trying to think of a way to do it, if and when I redraw it onto my 11x17 bristol.

View Profile of TiKiMaN77 Send a personal message to TiKiMaN77  Email TiKiMaN77 Goto the website of TiKiMaN77     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-22 8:49 pm   Permalink

Ok, so here's the redo of the above piece. I tried to rework some things here and there, and in the end, the only major changes I made were to her legs.

Not much else to say here, except that I'm actually quite pleased with how she turned out. Now I've just gotta decide whether to do the tree bark with a quill, or a brush when I ink her up.

enjoy guys.

TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-23 10:35 am   Permalink

Ok, really quick. Just a sketch for another new piece that's been Haunting my brain for Months now. The original idea kept me up for hours, and now months later, after having woken up from a weird ass dream this morning at about 2:30 am, I sat down to push this out.

TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-08 2:58 pm   Permalink

I'm not about to go into the details behind this piece almost killing me. It's gonna take me until this weekend to get a better scan of it, rather than this pieced together crap due to my small scanner. Several details missing cause of it.

But here she is, in all the glory I could give her. Inspired by "the Sorcerer's Apprentice" from FANTASIA. It was always my favorite as a kid. Several more Halloween pieces to do as soon as the ideas hit, and I plan on keeping them going.

tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-08 3:42 pm   Permalink

Wow, I just love popping in and out of this post checking out your work over and over. This is great stuff. Keep it up and keep posting.

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-08 3:56 pm   Permalink

Thanks Paka. I've got a fee corrections to take care of before I'm officially done, jsut some minor stuff taht someone jsut pointed out to me, and then I'll be ready for the Inks.

The inks in and of themselves will take some time due to the massive amount of pain my right hand goes through when I use the quill. Thank the Tiki Gods for Tiger Balm.

TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-21 6:24 pm   Permalink

REDUX!!!!!!!!!

So I had to go back in a get a few things on this one done to be REALLY done. Even rendered some shadows under her, which'll look killer when she's all inked up, and had to fix her nose and mouth a bit. Basically had to rework her jaw to make everything line up properly. And here's the better scan....after making smaller copy's, but no matter what, I can't fix the pencil smearing left over when I was cleaning it up the frist time. Oh well.

Enjoy guys. I'm gonna attempt to get the inks done before Halloween, but I've got samples to ink to show to editors very soon in the hopes of getting paying work.

TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-01 12:36 pm   Permalink

Here she is Guys. As finished as I can get her. Just finished all the Inks on this Thursday night. Tons of brush work involved, and then the corrections from the quill work became a massive Hassel.

a day later than I wanted to have it up, but the last couple of days have been really bad for me health wise.

Enjoy.....

Tiki Shark Art
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-01 10:49 pm   Permalink

But totally worth it!
Beautiful!
I am envious of your knowledge of the human form. The figures seem to have relaxed weight and volume.
Wonderful work!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-02 12:45 am   Permalink

Thanks Brad. Means a lot coming from you. I've spent a really long time working on my forms. Still have quite a ways to go obviously.

But glad you like it.

TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-22 04:35 am   Permalink

Man it's been forever since I've been able to update this thread with anything new. Unfortuantely, it might be quite some time before I do get around to do anything else here. The Apprentice piece above is the LAST thing I've drawn since October. The last few months have been crazy as hell, with killer deadlines for the comic work I do get paid for, and then having to get a BS job at Sears in santa Monica....which looks like I'm no longer on the payroll since they decided to cut my hours completely last week...which just means that I have to step things up on the Comic side and get my sample pages done, all in an effort to get paying work of my own.

At the same time, I'm planning things out for my little Cartoon inspired book (the one for all those Character designs on previous pages), and have asked 2 of my friends if they'd like to be in it...one gave me a HUGE response adn she can't wait to see what she looks like as a character, the other has no idea what she's in for. But now I've just gotta find the time to sit down and do them.

So, updates coming...as soon as I can get them done. LAter guys.

Iokona Ki'i
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-22 10:08 am   Permalink

Welcome back! Just checked out your thread.
Great work! Your attention to detail is mind boggling.
It would probably take me a year to do one of those
and I still wouldn't be done. Post more!

View Profile of Iokona Ki'i Send a personal message to Iokona Ki'i  Email Iokona Ki'i Goto the website of Iokona Ki'i     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TiKiMaN77
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-28 01:18 am   Permalink

Thanks Iokona. Well, since I jsut got the news that I don't have the "Other JOb" looming over my head anymore, (yes, I just found out I got fired from Sears....THANK the TIKI GODS for that bit of news) I can finally get back to doing what I love, and until my inking gig gets back on track...I've got a little extra time taht I can get some artwork done. Now I've just gotta figure out what to do. I haven't even cracked open my sketchbook in a couple months.

But I guess like everything else in life, it's like getting back on a bike after so long.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation