FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts updated!! 4-13-18!!! Page 22
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
updated!! 4-13-18!!! Page 22
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-16 11:39 pm   Permalink

Thanks, TSA....Well, I know the output resolution will be 240 dpi at full scale on a giclee printer so I like to work a little larger at 300 dpi and that gives me a very good resolution at print size so it holds its integrity. And, as with any print of any art piece, you have to be there for the press check and run to make sure that the color translates correctly, just as you would have to make sure a photo of your piece is accurate. As far as stepping back from the piece, I just treat it as if I were painting on a small scale and judge my composition and color design with the ol' Popeye eye squint. I guess I got used to looking at my work on a screen from years of working in animation. I wouldn't be using this approach if I didn't like the results, that's for sure! I'll keep the updates coming!

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-16 23:48 ]

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 08:59 am   Permalink

ROCK ON KEVVY!
Deciphering the Mystery for all of us Gawkers!!! Thanks for sharing the process with the Ohana! There's always so much to learn and understand from youse artists and carvers!Now, after this Swampfire,are you gonna do a Doug Horne portrait as befits a Master such as he?

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 09:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-13 21:21, jpmartdog wrote:
but it is also possible to open up a photo/jpeg/bmp/tiff/gif and then apply a morph programm to create "art"

The above photograph/cartoon simply created by a program that cartoonizes your photo.
Sure you can create greater variance with different size brushes and altering their transparency and also their "blur".[ This Message was edited by: jpmartdog 2007-09-13 21:24 ]

Do you know what program this is to create this effect? Or is it a Photoshop add-on?
I've noticed Oakley's new ad campaign is hitting this effect heavy, but I really like it. Always been a fan of the pop art look... like taking Roy Lichtenstein to the next level.

Love your stuff by the way! Keep up the good work!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 09:42 am   Permalink

Like I said LLT, no one is safe! A sampling of who is on the list: Doug Horne, Grog, DJ Lee, Holden, Kirby, Brad etc. Suzy is too darned cute but maybe I can alter my style to accomodate! Otherwise my style works for the rest of you cavemen!
As far as that ad goes, it looks to me like someone rendered it out in Illustrator. In all of my years of working in photoshop, I have never run across a filter that does such a clean job of vectorizing an image. Of course, I must admit that I haven't been searching for them! Thanks for the kind words! Roy Lichtenstein was my favorite pop artist, by the way!

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-17 09:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-17 14:27 ]

View Profile of suburbanpagan Send a personal message to suburbanpagan  Email suburbanpagan Goto the website of suburbanpagan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 09:43 am   Permalink

Looking fine thus far, suburbanpagan! Especially with the dramatic lighting, it looks like it'll be cool when it's done.

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 11:19 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-17 09:42, suburbanpagan wrote:
As far as that ad goes, it looks to me like someone rendered it out in Illustrator. In all of my years of working in photoshop, I have never run across a filter that does such a clean job of vectorizing an image.

Those were my first thoughts when I saw a poster in the window of a shop in Toronto. In my side life as a Graphic Designer, I've done some renderings like this, but with a lot less detail. I can only imagine the time involved if it was only done in Illustrator.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 1:00 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sam! I hope to not disappoint! So I guess that I hope to appoint?
More progress......trying to get rid of the white....almost there! In case you noticed on the last one, there were some more blocky areas of color. In general, I try to use my finish "brushes" on the whole painting because I am somewhat obsessive compulsive but in this case I broke and used the pencil tool to block in the larger areas just because I am trying to work larger to print these out at 14X17 at full resolution and the file is huge! So on this one I have gone back to my brushy brush and am starting to paint it in and figure out the push/pull of light and dark and am playing with some diff approaches to the flame and such. Stay tuned! I sense a volcano may be needed!
Lake! I agree! That level of rendering is insane on that ad!

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-17 13:01 ]

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-17 13:40 ]

ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-17 4:23 pm   Permalink

It's refreshing to see you post prog-shots like before!

Diggin' the colors! volcano? stand back!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 1:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks Ravenne! It's moving along now. As I work the composition, I add or remove things as I go. Stay tuned!

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-18 13:51 ]

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-09-18 1:58 pm   Permalink

Is swamp fire caused by the release of swamp gas. Doug Horne's gotta layoff those bean burrittos at lunch.

Looking pretty sweet so far S.Pagan, now don't fuck it up!

P.S. Nice composition.

[ This Message was edited by: GROG 2007-09-18 14:00 ]

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swamp Fire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 5:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-18 13:58, GROG wrote:
Is swamp fire caused by the release of swamp gas. Doug Horne's gotta layoff those bean burrittos at lunch.

I have one word for you my friend, "BEANO", in tablet form.

Kevin, wow dig it, tiki in a swamp. I like the flames and of course the swampy vines. Can't wait to see it done. I really like the moody atmosphere you create with your paintings.

The Art of Doug Horne
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DougHorneArt

View Profile of Swamp Fire Send a personal message to Swamp Fire  Email Swamp Fire Goto the website of Swamp Fire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 7:41 pm   Permalink

Hahaha! Classic GROG! Big clouds of swamp gas eminate from Arizona? I knew there was a reason I chose such a sickly green color for the flame!
Thanks Doug....that means a lot coming from a master draftsman such as yourself!
I was on a little bit of a roll and felt the sky needed something more......so an A frame has sprung up! Stay tuned!

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-18 19:42 ]

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-18 10:11 pm   Permalink

I knew this would end up looking fine! I especially like the moonlit moss look - haunting and moody. There is moss on the trees where I live, so this piece hits home... A very cool piece!

www.samgambino.com

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ravenne
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-20 12:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-18 19:41, suburbanpagan wrote:

I'm liking how this is turnin' out! keep postin man!

View Profile of ravenne Send a personal message to ravenne      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suburbanpagan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-20 01:43 am   Permalink

Now it is on to refining and tightening up...well, as tight as I go anyhow! I'm also on tangent patrol! I'm paranoid that GROG will be more than happy to point them all out! Haha!
Thanks Sam! I love creating moody places.......I'm always striving to try to combine beauty with a slight sinister or uncomfortable feeling...I hope I'm getting that feeling past my own brain!
Ravenne......it's been nice to be painting again....that house kicked my arse! So now it is on the market and I just got my next one to fix up! Party on!

[ This Message was edited by: suburbanpagan 2007-09-20 01:58 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation