FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Shamelessly watching....DWTS
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
Shamelessly watching....DWTS
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-02 05:43 am   Permalink

Thanks for that info Betty. She looks like she is rock-solid and wouldn't tempt a slug from her. I am geared up and ready to watch tonight.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-02 08:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-03-28 13:43, Haole'akamai wrote:

....Oh help me, I've started discussing this like it matters....

Boy, do I second that!

K.

[ This Message was edited by: kikekeki 2007-04-02 08:44 ]

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-03 8:55 pm   Permalink

LOL....and I actually sent a note to the station that airs the show because in Sacramento there is a stupid basketball game on and they won't air the results show till after 1am. Is that lame or what. Somebody post a spoiler please so I can find out who got canned.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kikekeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-04 12:14 pm   Permalink

HA!
I called it... Shandi's gone...

K.

View Profile of kikekeki Send a personal message to kikekeki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-07 3:18 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting the loosers, since the show didn't air at a decent time for me to watch.....that was a good call...just like the one from before...too tall + too stiff, I figured she would be eliminated.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-16 10:00 pm   Permalink

Gotta say Apolo rocked tonight....they deserved the 30 points...it was a kick arse set with awesome music and great outfits.

Mr. Basketball just can't dance....come on people....I wonder how he even plays basketball...doesn't that take some grace, energy and movement?

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-17 10:01 pm   Permalink

SPOILER

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Thanks Goodness......good bye Clyde. He really can't dance at all.

Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-18 09:13 am   Permalink

He did retire, like, 10 years ago. Just because you're nimble at your sport doesn't mean you'll be nimble at partner dancing. Also, Basketball doesn't particularly require you to move with another person.

In fact, I've seen ALOT of very talented (solo) dancers who couldn't partner dance worth a hill of beans.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-20 04:37 am   Permalink

Good point. Looking forward to next week,the competition is getting interesting now.

VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-24 05:49 am   Permalink

The dancy was only so so last night, but think the old guy will get cut tonight. The group dance was fun.

Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 09:10 am   Permalink

Yeah, what happened? It's like people got all serious and lost the fun. The group dance was interesting and if it's true that they only learned the routine a few hours earlier that day, then they did a really terrific job. A couple of the lifts/throws are quite complicated.I thought that everyone worked hard to stay "in character" and was especially impressed with Fatone. He really shined. And the ending homage to Frankie Manning and Whitey's Lindy Hoppers was very cool to see.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 10:05 am   Permalink

Just to throw a wrench into all the fun going on with this thread -

We haven't watched broadcast TV for 14 years. I have a kid in middle school, and he gets A+ in every single class. He gets 100% on every test. Last year he got a 94% on one math test, and the whole class kidded him about "slipping". He's also a lifeguard-level swimmer, and golfs with me regularly. He's in SHAPE. He's also a really fun kid.

I attribute his good attitude to simply not watching network or cable TV.

We watch DVDs of old 60's shows right before going to bed, though, so the shows we shamelessly watch are;

- The Dick Van Dyke Show
- Wild Wild West
- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
- I Dream of Jeannie
- Bewitched
- The Andy Griffith Show

By the way, Wild Wild West is the best action series ever filmed. Some of the episodes are directed by Richard Donner, on location! And watching Bob Conrad do all his own stunts, often better than the stunt men supporting him, is astonishing. In one Donner episode he dives twelve feet onto a horse riding stuntman from some overhead rocks, pulls him down, just clearing the horses hooves, and... well ya gotta see it.

There are strange connections between WWWest and Star Trek, as well. Many of the writers and producers of Star Trek cut their teeth first on WWWest, many of the shows have the same actors and plotlines, but developed first for WWWest. The second season of it was amazing, too, they poured money into pop-art color decor and big name guest stars. There's also quite a few Tiki episodes, a handoff to Conrad's earlier Hawaiian Eye show!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 11:12 am   Permalink

That's cool. I grew up watching a ton of television. Both my parents had to work full-time, so being a latch-key kid, TV was my friend in the afternoons, after I did my homework and housechores. I wasn't allowed to have other kids in the house, but could play with friends in the yard, which I chose to do more often than not. But, I did make sure to watch Gilligan's Island at 3 often, and sometimes Rockford Files, or The Price is Right. I was always in the gifted classes, and by the the time I graduated from high school, I was voted Funniest in my senior class, had completed the equivalent of five and a half years of math in four, was president of the computer club, on the yearbook staff, competed in volleyball and cross-country running, and part of The Genisians, our school drama group. And I watched a heck of a lot of TV. I attribute being successful to my parents. They were always clear about what was important: be honest, enjoy working, be open to every possibility, and learn to know what makes you happy.

Cammo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 11:57 am   Permalink

Do you think 1960's TV actually improved brainpower, and present day stuff destroys it? Does watching 'Gilligan's Island' make us happy, smart, and creative at work???

It seems as viable as anything Jung proposed, and probably more reasonable!

View Profile of Cammo Send a personal message to Cammo  Email Cammo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-24 12:23 pm   Permalink

Well, since you asked, I believe that practising to be a well-rounded, observant, compassionate person makes you happy, smart and creative, at work at home and everywhere in between. To get this back on topic:

One of the reason I enjoy Dancing With the Stars so much is that I love Pop Culture. I was previously familiar with the careers of almost all of the celebrities (except for Shandi) because I've watched Ian on BH 90201 and John on Cheers; I know of Apolo, Clyde and Laila because I watched the Olympics; I knew about Heather and Paulina from Entertainment Tonight. And I'll even admit to being a closet N*Sync fan (Joey - you Da Man!).

I also enjoy it because I've been partner dancing for over 10 years. It's great to watch other people learning and it harkens me back to my own experience with trying to grasp dance concepts like Frame and Connection. Watching professionally successful people step outside their areas of expertise, and learn a skill that is (often) not even connected to what they've become famous for, is a thrill and privilege to watch.

In the particular case of Heather (Mills), I think she's a complete inspiration and watching her compete might just open up the future for someone else who’s lost a leg (or arm or…).

I don't want to make a judgment call on whether TV (60's, 70's, 30's, or today) is garbage or not. I've found a way to incorporate it in my life and continue to be creative and connected; that's all.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation