FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Mug and Collectibles Pricing
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Mug and Collectibles Pricing
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 2:20 pm   Permalink

A place to post the selling prices for mugs or any other Tiki collectible. Be it on Ebay or other locales. Not intended to solely illustrate "how expensive", but to give some insight into what things are fetching out there among the great unwashed. A guide to some market values, more or less.

First up, the rare Steve Crane "headhunter" mug:

How much?

I told this seller not to take an "end it now" offer. Told him to expect around $200-230 for it. I see I was a "bit" off, Jesus Roller Skating Christ!

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 2:31 pm   Permalink

I think it's very clear that danlovestiki, and ludwicke loves tiki too.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 2:35 pm   Permalink

Or at the other end of the scale, the Italian Lira of the Tiki world - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2153853787&category=29460

Let's see if anyone bothers to buy it.

That Crane price is truly shocking, but I give no kudos at all to the winner. I'm always happier to check out the 3 Leilani & 1 random mug collection of a keen novice than the $10,000 collection of some schmuck who get's worried and squirmy if you even blink at their mugs in the wrong way.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 3:11 pm   Permalink

"That Crane price is truly shocking"Trader Woody

And i that same "truly shocking" vein is this:

$100+ Pineapple

Legitimate, who knows?

I have noticed of late that Islander mugs are attracting insane bids on Ebay, no idea why. Some things just are, while others are not just. Some ask why things are, others ask why can't they be...I ask,"Can I have the mint jelly on the side?"

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 3:11 pm   Permalink

I haven't been collecting for as long as others so I'm not sure about the Tiki Leilani. I really only buy something because it looks beautiful to me (vs. rarity, condition, age, original vs. repro, etc) , and I think the Leilani is darn cute. Do people not like it or something? Is it super-common? why wouldn't someone other than me (and who has the cash) not want to pick it up?

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 3:25 pm   Permalink

I paid $104 for two Don the Beachcomber rum barrels last week. That's the most I've ever paid for mugs.
Come to think of it, I better get help before you guys find me mumbling about ebay and pushing a shopping cart full of greasy tiki stuff down Market Street.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 5:08 pm   Permalink

Holy Mackeral!!!
400 bucks! Geeze, good ol' Dan should change his name to "Danhasmoremoneythangod".
He's the feakin' George Steinbrenner of Tiki collecting.
Oh well, if I had gobs of $$ who's to say I wouldn't do the same... But sill, where is the fun in just dropping a huge wad just to nab every piece?

Aloha

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Troll
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 5:32 pm   Permalink

if I had the dough, then I would drop mad cash on all sorts of things. The prices on Ebay never bug me because I find it so amazing that any of us has a chance to find all this great stuff. 400 bucks is alot of money, but people can blow that in a couple weekends just going out to clubs, or on a new tv. I'd rather have the mug.

that said, I am as cheap as they come, I scour for things until they almost have to pay me to take them off their hands.

View Profile of Tiki-Troll Send a personal message to Tiki-Troll  Email Tiki-Troll     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 5:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 15:11, manic cat wrote:
I haven't been collecting for as long as others so I'm not sure about the Tiki Leilani. I really only buy something because it looks beautiful to me (vs. rarity, condition, age, original vs. repro, etc) , and I think the Leilani is darn cute. Do people not like it or something? Is it super-common? why wouldn't someone other than me (and who has the cash) not want to pick it up?

I believe the Leilani mugs are abundant but living in a tiki-free zone on the East Coast you take what you can get! I just bought a Leilani/Hawaiian Inn mug at the Goodwill and you would have thought I had found a $400 Steven Crane Headhunter mug! My hands were trembling as I snatched it off the shelf before anyone else could get their slimy mitts near it!! When I got it home I replaced the Leilani mug on the back bar shelf, that I paid $4.00 for off Ebay about 6 months ago, with my new pride and joy...the 50 cent Leilani mug found at the local Goodwill! I think I can honestly say that it is probably my favorite mug (at least until I get something new).

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Troll
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 8:02 pm   Permalink

I like some of the pottery class tiki's you find, I think I have one that says Uncle Harry or something on the bottom. Each one is painted different, and I like to think of the delighted eyes of the relative that got it as a gift. You can still pick them up really cheep too.

View Profile of Tiki-Troll Send a personal message to Tiki-Troll  Email Tiki-Troll     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-15 9:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

...with my new pride and joy...the 50 cent Leilani mug found at the local Goodwill! I think I can honestly say that it is probably my favorite mug (at least until I get something new).

I agree. Sure, I'm always excited when I pick up a new mug on ebay, but not even half as much as when the Tiki Gods smile upon me and guide me to a little nugget in the thrift. Hell, isn't what this is all about anyway? To me, tiki collecting is like pop culture archeology... Hunt, dig, search, behold!
Ahhh....

Aloha.

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 06:03 am   Permalink

I have one too - looks like it was made in boy scout camp or something! Lovingly made by "Larry Whyte, May 11, 1972". Which makes it only a month and 8 days older than yours truly! Larry, where are you? I'd like to meet Larry now and show him his mug proudly displayed on my shelf!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 09:52 am   Permalink

I agree. There's nothing like that thrift store score, especially here on the east coast. I got a great big Buddha mug with his arms raised and straw hole in his belly for $2.00 in CT. I hear that they were used in Benehana restaurants. It's not rare or anything but it has a good aura in the room.

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 10:30 am   Permalink

I was chuffed to bits to find my Leilani/Hawaiian Inn mug in a local thrift/charity store, I love it. Is the Leilani/Hawaiian Inn mug the most common mug inexistance?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 10:38 am   Permalink

Your "bits" being "chuffed" is a good thing, right?

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation