FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Mug and Collectibles Pricing
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Mug and Collectibles Pricing
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 1:23 pm   Permalink

"I got a great big Buddha mug with his arms raised and straw hole in his belly for $2.00 in CT. I hear that they were used in Benehana restaurants."

I got this one just the other day at a junk store for $1.50! I was excited about it too (although some would say it's not so tiki)! He just looks so happy with his belly hanging out!

Happy Tiki Hunting!

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 1:50 pm   Permalink

Through MULTIPLE visits to my local (San Francisco, uggh) Goodwill/Salvation Army shops I have found squat, absolutely nothin.....whuuuh! But once I did see a Benihana mug, maybe they will take off someday.

I mentioned earlier the Islander mugs getting some strange Mojo, with bids approaching milk-thru-nostril levels. Put down that glass:

How much? Ha ha ha, "spew", oops!

This one is missing the lid as well. Well, that explans why it is only going for two hundred or so. Bah....ha ha....HA!

midnite: getting ready for the next big sale/charity drive and Tiki mug fest. I'm rich I'm rich...I'm comfortably well-off.

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-16 4:10 pm   Permalink

Susan Powter says: "Stop the Insanity!"

[ This Message was edited by: tikigreg on 2003-01-16 16:31 ]

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-17 1:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-16 13:50, midnite_tiki wrote:
But once I did see a Benihana mug, maybe they will take off someday.

Oh, they will, they will....
Perhaps they could be the only current example of a cheap modern-day 'mug' that could be bought for mere cents right now and be hugely popular in the future. Not Tiki by a good few miles, these mugs are nevertheless ideal mugs to serve drinks to pals who can't comprehend 'the whole Tiki thing'.

Anyway, the "Wall Street Trader Vic" in me says - 'Don't spend $400+ on a Crane......buy 400 cheap Benihana's and you'll make your fortune'.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-17 2:09 pm   Permalink

As far as the Benihana mugs go, there's already different vintages...! Some of the older ones are from Orchids of Hawaii, another older production will have the logo or markings "underglazed" (where the logo appears to be in the glaze itself). Newer ones will have a screened logo or marking (it is applied on top of the glaze, very crisp, and you can usually feel it on the surface), or might be marked that it was made in China (either molded in or a sticker) or no mark at all.

Not that I've looked into the collectability of Benihana mugs.....!

[ This Message was edited by: Traderpup on 2003-01-17 14:10 ]

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 12:39 pm   Permalink

I have never seen this piece before, looks like few others had as well. Makes me wonder what my Hoffman Kahiki condiment bowl would bring.

Kahiki Server Thingy

Anyone have an answer for what this thing was?

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 7:09 pm   Permalink

I thought I had a live on with this auction. Just a three-day auction, no one was gonna find it, it was MINE!

Didn't even get a chance to enter another losing bid:

Don Beachcomber

It is the cool green version too, c'est la vie.

midnite

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-18 8:12 pm   Permalink

That kahiki thing looks like a butter melter for your loibster. Though I dont remember them serving lobster when I was there, but I was on a budget so might have just blanked out that portion of the menu rom my memory. Definitely some sort of sauce pourer, anyway.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fartsatune
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-19 12:22 am   Permalink

My guess is that its for making those tiki cappucinos.

View Profile of fartsatune Send a personal message to fartsatune      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-20 8:22 pm   Permalink

I guess I'm the "New Guy". You can't believe how happy I am to have found other Tiki Mug collectors. I've been collecting for a couple years and have nearly 60 different mugs. like most of you I try never to spend more than $10 to $15.

My first question is: Has anyone seen these before and know anything about them. Does Chiki Tiki ring a bell? What are they worth?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=2154329083&rd=1

Second, I was looking at past Tiki Mug discussions about "Leilani" and how she can be a favorite, but has no real value and is often past up on e-bay. I think there must be Valuable and rare Leilani mugs. I have three different Leilani mugs. One with Orchids of Hawaii on the bottom, another with nothing. One that has two faces one on each side and the others are only one sided. I know I've seen them with other sayings besides Leilani and no sayings at all. I'm still keeping my eye open for new versions of the Classic Leilani Mug, rare ones that I can get for next to nothing.

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-01-20 9:50 pm   Permalink

Maui,

The Chiki Tiki mugs are current mass-production mugs. You can buy them here:

http://www.islandmadness.com/tikimug2.html

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-20 11:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I guess I'm the "New Guy". You can't believe how happy I am to have found other Tiki Mug collectors.

Second, I was looking at past Tiki Mug...I think there must be Valuable and rare Leilani mugs. I have three different Leilani mugs.

Hiya Maui, where ya at over there, much history with Maui.

On the Leilani types, yes, I know of a few. I have two. One, with "usa" on the bottom, suppposed to be McCoy? My other one is from Hawaiian Inn, made by Orchids. They are ok mugs, worthy of any collection, but just too common to get much of a bid on Ebay. Many were part of a rum set, so there are LOTS of them.

Welcome,
midnite

waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-21 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-17 13:53, Trader Woody wrote:
Quote:

On 2003-01-16 13:50, midnite_tiki wrote:
But once I did see a Benihana mug, maybe they will take off someday.

Oh, they will, they will....

Does this mean I should stop using my Benihana mug for my kitchen scrubbers? He doesn't hold enough liquid for a good drink but he sure looks happy holding those scrubbers!

Happy Tiki Hunting!
Perhaps they could be the only current example of a cheap modern-day 'mug' that could be bought for mere cents right now and be hugely popular in the future. Not Tiki by a good few miles, these mugs are nevertheless ideal mugs to serve drinks to pals who can't comprehend 'the whole Tiki thing'.

Anyway, the "Wall Street Trader Vic" in me says - 'Don't spend $400+ on a Crane......buy 400 cheap Benihana's and you'll make your fortune'.

Trader Woody

View Profile of waikiki tiki Send a personal message to waikiki tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
waikiki tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-21 10:14 am   Permalink

Wow, sorry guys I really screwed that post up!

MauiTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-01-21 9:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-01-20 23:27, midnite_tiki wrote:

Hiya Maui, where ya at over there, much history with Maui.

Started out in Honokowai (Lahaina) now live in Maui Meadows (Wailea) been here 13 years, verry few Tiki mugs left on Maui. All the Daga Maui Lu mugs were taken home by tourists.

MauiTiki

View Profile of MauiTiki Send a personal message to MauiTiki  Email MauiTiki Goto the website of MauiTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation