FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food legal cuban rum!!!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
legal cuban rum!!!
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-04-11 10:17 am   Permalink

Prohibited and Restricted Items

Merchandise from Embargoed Countries
Generally, you may not bring in any goods from the following (if not followed by an asterisk or where specified that the embargo only applies to diamonds): Cuba, Iran*, Iraq*, Serbia and Montenegro*, North Korea*, Burma (Myanmar), Angola, Liberia and Sierra Leone (diamonds only) and Sudan. The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of Treasury enforces this ban.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2007-04-11 11:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-10 11:31, DemeraraDrinker wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-04-10 10:24, thejab wrote:
With no way to bring liquids in your carry on bag in the U.S. (except for small amounts packed in a quart ziploc baggie), I don't see much opportunity for buying booze in duty free shops anymore.

Just put it in your checked baggage. I do this all the time when I'm in another part of the country, I buy booze there that I can't get at home (like Pampero). I bring blue drywall tape to tape the screw caps or corks for an extra measure of security. Then I put the bottles in socks and try to get some clothes around them. You can also put them in a big ziplock if you're afraid they'll leak.

Duty free shops in airports are usually inside the gate area, after you check your bags. That was my point. I realize that you can carry booze in checked baggage.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DemeraraDrinker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-11 12:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Duty free shops in airports are usually inside the gate area, after you check your bags. That was my point. I realize that you can carry booze in checked baggage.

Whoops, sorry about that. Actually, the no liquids in carry on baggage has hurt me cause I used to carry on all the booze so I could protect it (no matter where I bought it). Now I'm taping and packaging the stuff in the checked bags like I'm sending something to a buyer on Ebay.

View Profile of DemeraraDrinker Send a personal message to DemeraraDrinker  Goto the website of DemeraraDrinker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 2:04 pm   Permalink

But after you check your bags, and go through the security checkpoint (and discard your bottle of water and whatever else), you're free to buy whatever from the duty free and then carry it on, are you not? It's been a few months since I flew last, but whatever you buy after the security checkpoints was allowable on the aircraft. I brought on a bottle of water last time.
You would have trouble if you're laying over or something like that, since you may have to cross another security checkpoint. I doubt they'd make an exception for a purchase from a duty-free shop even if it was still sealed and you had the receipt to prove it.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 2:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-11 10:17, dogbytes wrote:
Prohibited and Restricted Items

Merchandise from Embargoed Countries
Generally, you may not bring in any goods from the following (if not followed by an asterisk or where specified that the embargo only applies to diamonds): Cuba, Iran*, Iraq*, Serbia and Montenegro*, North Korea*, Burma (Myanmar), Angola, Liberia and Sierra Leone (diamonds only) and Sudan. The Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) of the U.S. Department of Treasury enforces this ban.

I found an even clearer answer. See the info below the heading "Transactions Involving Cuban-Origin Goods in Third Countries":

http://www.treas.gov/offices/enforcement/ofac/programs/cuba/ccigar2.pdf

In other words, you cannot purchase Cuban rum in Canada or Mexico and bring it back to the US.

[ This Message was edited by: arriano 2007-04-11 14:32 ]

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scottes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-11 14:26, arriano wrote:

In other words, you cannot purchase Cuban rum in Canada or Mexico and bring it back to the US.

Bummer.

View Profile of Scottes Send a personal message to Scottes  Goto the website of Scottes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
velveteenlounge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-11 4:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-04-11 11:43, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-04-10 11:31, DemeraraDrinker wrote:
Quote:

On 2007-04-10 10:24, thejab wrote:
With no way to bring liquids in your carry on bag in the U.S. (except for small amounts packed in a quart ziploc baggie), I don't see much opportunity for buying booze in duty free shops anymore.

Just put it in your checked baggage. I do this all the time when I'm in another part of the country, I buy booze there that I can't get at home (like Pampero). I bring blue drywall tape to tape the screw caps or corks for an extra measure of security. Then I put the bottles in socks and try to get some clothes around them. You can also put them in a big ziplock if you're afraid they'll leak.

My experience, at least flying to New York from Mexico two weeks ago, was that, even though the duty free was after you had already checked your luggage, you were allowed to bring liquor from the duty free onto the flight as a carry on, since they delivered your purchases directly to your flight--you didn't walk out of the store with them. This may not be the same for every country, or even every airport in Mexico, but just about everyone on our flight had booze from the duty free in that overhead bin.

View Profile of velveteenlounge Send a personal message to velveteenlounge  Goto the website of velveteenlounge     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
defaultet
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-11 9:27 pm   Permalink

@arriano,

Thanks for the info! It's kind of ridiculous but, hey, that's what it is. I just can't believe that the Canadian and U.S. Governments don't have any say in what the duty-free shops sell, but that could very well be the case.

Anyway, regardless of if you buy stuff to bring back to the U.S. (and there's really no reason not to) you should all buy stuff while in Canada for consumption there. Not because it's good rum (it's all right) or because you like cigars (don't smoke), but just as a matter of principle.

View Profile of defaultet Send a personal message to defaultet      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
siMcOe wAbO
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-04-12 7:10 pm   Permalink

so i shou; dbuy camel ciggys when i goto buffalo fer wings??

and the new yorkers should be buyen the du MAURIER's when they are coming up fer maple syrup??

just on pure speculation??

View Profile of siMcOe wAbO Send a personal message to siMcOe wAbO  Email siMcOe wAbO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-04-14 3:22 pm   Permalink

When IN Cuba, it is hard to get anything else BUT Havana Club at local Bars. The product is pushed everywhere. The Anejo was wonderful, but after a while I wanted to try some other local labels, which you can get in non-tourist shops. Although Ron Caney has a great label with native Tainos on it, it tasted watered down. Cubay was not bad. The best thing was that even though my friend Pete and I smoked a cigar and drank about 1/3 of a bottle of rum each every evening, I never had a hangover the next day. Must have been the climate.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation